Back again, Another QM2 TA 'Newbie' Question: Transfer / Airport timing

prescottbob

Greetings from the Western USA!

Question : For a Southampton docking (presumably early) on a TA, would one with private car transfer (we're talking a Friday A.M.) be able to make a 11:45 flight on British Airways @ Heathrow departing to Amsterdam?

I thought it might be a bit 'tight' with the, so-called 'unknowns' (immigration and such) & traffic, so I went ahead and reserved a 1:15 flight instead for the 1.5 hour flight. I was just curious for opinions for those much more experienced Cunard travelers.

I thank you ahead of time for any replies.

Be well & safe travels.

Bob:)

The immigration inspection will be conducted during the crossing, so when the ship docks everyone has been cleared and you can disembark. The customs inspection, if any, will take place on the pier. Almost everyone goes through the "green channel" but there may be spot checks. In about 20 arrivals in Southampton I have only been pulled over once and after three questions I was waved on my way.

If you can take all your luggage off yourselves you can get a "self help" card and disembark at any time after the call is made. From my experience this is usually about 7:30 or maybe a little earlier.

The regular disembarkation for those passengers who have had their luggage collected to be placed in the arrivals hall starts about 8:15. It starts with Queen's Grill and Diamond members of the Cunard World Club, then Princess Grill, then from the top deck down. On our crossing last October the final call was about 10:45. Those taking Cunard transfers, such as to the London airports or St. Pancras Station, are called off early: about 8:45.

There are rarely delays in disembarkation, but it does happen occasionally. If you can leave the ship early, you should be able to make that flight. But if you are on Deck 4, for example, and are not taking "self help" you are taking a risk.

11:45 @ Heathrow is definitely too tight. I would go for an afternoon connection.

The first train I usually manage to get on in Southampton is the 10:00 service to London.

Btw: Have you considered taking the train to Amsterdam? It will take about 4hrs (+1 Change from GMT to CET) and at least as fast as when going by plane. Also, it might be slightly cheaper.

There are two direct trains a day but you can take any train to Brussels and change there for a Thalys or Intercity service.

Also, the luggage allowance on trains is far more generous than with any airline.

Eurostar: https://www.eurostar.com/rw-en/train/netherlands/amsterdam

Trainline (for tickets with a change in Brussels): https://www.trainline.eu

The Man in Seat 61: https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/direct-eurostar-london-to-amsterdam.htm

If you wish to travel the leisurely way: There's a ferry from Harwich International to Hoek van Holland. It's the largest ferry in the world and quite affordable: https://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry-to-holland

Had you consider flying from Southampton airport to Amsterdam?

It’s a small friendly airport, but has everything you need.

Only a few flights a day, but you miss the bedlam that can happen at Heathrow. https://www.southamptonairport.com/

I agree, I haven't used Southampton airport but if you can avoid the journey to Heathrow and/or Gatwick I would. Edited by Host Hattie

Thank you all for the replies. What a pleasant, civilized CC board.

I checked out on the links provided and found, IMO, timing & cost to be similar to just a transfer directly to Heathrow and a later flight. I think other good folks in different circumstances however would like the advise & links provided. I've chosen just to do the private car and later flight just out of mere convenience.

My situation is that we're not quite 'younger and agile' these days. My wife has ambulatory issues (sometimes a wheel chair / walker, other times not) so various transfers via ferry & train (with two large bags and two smaller bags & such) & possibly climbing stairs, transferring luggage isn't going to work for me. However, the links, as mentioned, provides great information.

Goodness, I wish we we're once again backpackers & hostel travelers but those days are a memory and the aging / time progression 'marches on', no? .

In any event, we're ending the QM2 TA in this case, plan to head to Amsterdam for 3 nights at a local B&B and then embark on the 'farewell' voyage of the HAL Prinsendam (hence the luggage).

So, once again, thank you all or the replies.

Be well & safe travels to one and all.

Bob:)