Buying vanilla beans in French Polynesia?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:03 AM.
Near Orlando but California Dreaming
14,305 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
I brought organic vanilla beans vacuum sealed into the US with no problem. I infused them into organic vodka to make vanilla extract. I minced some up very finely and made ice cream with them as well. There was no problem bringing them into the US through California (which has notoriously strict ag laws) and I did of course declare them. I bought two packages with 5-6 whole beans in each for about $20--like I said, they were biologique (organic) so a bit more expensive.

I looked at prices a few places and didn't find much difference. Unless you are buying a huge quantity, the price difference between one place and another will be pennies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western Caribbean
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.
My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here
20" rolling bag packing list for two weeks in a cool/cold climate here.
British Columbia
78 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I know this thread is quite old but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!!

Were not going until January 2019 but I like to look up things to buy. When I read about the vanilla beans and where to buy I was quickly making notes in my phone. The Sonoma Vanilla where I live costs about $49.00 a bottle- so I will be buying 1 kilo of the beans. I am sure my sister will want half!! I will also buy the oils and pineapple jams.

Is the plantation name Royal Noni?

I have tried making the vanilla with vanilla beans and vodka (Grey Goose vodka) but it tastes like alcohol with a little vanilla. I put 6 beans in the alcohol. I would not use this in any baking but it might taste good if you flamed it.

Thanks for a great read!
Lauren