Transportation from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral

student95

I posted on the new cruisers board and it was suggested that I post in this board also.

I am going on a cruise next month. I have never been to one before. I am flying in the night before the departure date to Orlando. I was assuming that there are plenty of rides going from the airport to Port Canaveral (50 miles). I was wrong. Every company stops running before 1pm. (They assume travelers come in the morning on the same day of the cruise.) It is too early to accommodate my arrival time. I arrive just before 1:00pm and I have booked a hotel in Port Canaveral already.

Any suggestion?

The easiest, may or may not be cheapest, is probably a one-way car rental. Most of the agencies will let you rent a car at the airport and drop it off near the port, with a shuttle to the port. Which gives you the added advantage of stopping at Walmart or Target for supplies, or Total Wine for your two bottles of wine. As well as mobility from 1:00 p.m. day before cruise until you go to the port.

I posted on the new cruisers board and it was suggested that I post in this board also.

I am going on a cruise next month. I have never been to one before. I am flying in the night before the departure date to Orlando. I was assuming that there are plenty of rides going from the airport to Port Canaveral (50 miles). I was wrong. Every company stops running before 1pm. (They assume travelers come in the morning on the same day of the cruise.) It is too early to accommodate my arrival time. I arrive just before 1:00pm and I have booked a hotel in Port Canaveral already.

Any suggestion?

One-way car rental. There are a number of agencies in the port area that take one-way rentals and offer free shuttles to the cruise terminals.

Otherwise spend the night in the airport area and take a shuttle to the port the next day.

Or cancel your PC hotel, stay close to MCO (lots of hotels with airport shuttles) and catch a shuttle to your ship the next morning.

I'd choose the one-way car rental option, but it is your vacation and your call - have a great cruise and welcome to the boards! :cool:

Or cancel your PC hotel, stay close to MCO (lots of hotels with airport shuttles) and catch a shuttle to your ship the next morning.

I'd choose the one-way car rental option, but it is your vacation and your call - have a great cruise and welcome to the boards! :cool:

I personally think this is the best route to go and was my initial plan....but I have a husband who has anxiety over missing the ship and a friend who wanted to be close to a beach so my plan was vetoed.

I personally think this is the best route to go and was my initial plan....but I have a husband who has anxiety over missing the ship and a friend who wanted to be close to a beach so my plan was vetoed.

Then I think the best bet is the rental car option.

Thank you for the suggestions. My plan is to rent a car at the airport and drop it off in the morning at the location in town. I called them and they said there are free shuttles to the port and they suggested that I don't return the car until after 10:00am.

for the record, I think what happened here was a communications problem ....

I've never heard of a beachside shuttle company stopping airport runs at 1pm ..... as OP mentions they DO stop doing 'day of' cruise pickups at 1 (or so) because they do NOT want the possibility of delivering you to the pier AFTER the gates have closed for boarding (which is typically an hour or more b4 sailing time)

I would wonder if OP CALLED and spoke to a people or just tried to figure out the often poor web pages for the companies.

Example copied from one randomly selected company:

Executive Shuttle Service is a premier Orlando airport shuttle service providing transport to Brevard County, Orlando and Sanford Airports, as well as local hotels and other attractions. ... We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for your convenience. Call usat (321) 426-1763 today for airport transportation and shuttle service reservations. Executive Shuttle Service: 24/7 door-to-door shuttle service.

An Uber from Orlando to Port Canaveral is about $48. I have to think that would be less expensive and way less headache than renting a car one way when you factor in gas and pick up and drop off. You'll get 2 hours of your vacation back by not renting.

This was my plan for a January cruise on the Oasis. I plan to arrive a day before a have hotel res in Coco Beach. This is a special deal because RCCL is also having an Elvis Birthday Cruise celebration and the hotel in Coco Beach will have many of the ETA's who will be performing on ship. There will be entertainment at the hotel which is why I want to go directly to the hotel.

Can anyone tell me that there will be a problem catching an Uber to Coco beach? Or will the Uber driver deny the fare possibly?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kathy

This was my plan for a January cruise on the Oasis. I plan to arrive a day before a have hotel res in Coco Beach. This is a special deal because RCCL is also having an Elvis Birthday Cruise celebration and the hotel in Coco Beach will have many of the ETA's who will be performing on ship. There will be entertainment at the hotel which is why I want to go directly to the hotel.

Can anyone tell me that there will be a problem catching an Uber to Coco beach? Or will the Uber driver deny the fare possibly?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kathy

No, they're not allowed to deny it and I've done it many times without any problems. They like the bigger fare.

Looking for round trip ground trans. from Orlando Airport to Disney Fantasy / Terminal 06/30/18 & return to Orlando Airport 07/11/2018. total of 5 adults & 5 children. Any suggestions for an honest, reliable and cost effective shuttle service would be appreciated.

Cortrans and Cocoa Beach Shuttle are the two most often suggested. You crew would essentially fill a van.

for the record, I think what happened here was a communications problem ....

I've never heard of a beachside shuttle company stopping airport runs at 1pm ..... as OP mentions they DO stop doing 'day of' cruise pickups at 1 (or so) because they do NOT want the possibility of delivering you to the pier AFTER the gates have closed for boarding (which is typically an hour or more b4 sailing time)

I would wonder if OP CALLED and spoke to a people or just tried to figure out the often poor web pages for the companies.

Example copied from one randomly selected company:

Executive Shuttle Service is a premier Orlando airport shuttle service providing transport to Brevard County, Orlando and Sanford Airports, as well as local hotels and other attractions. ... We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for your convenience. Call usat (321) 426-1763 today for airport transportation and shuttle service reservations. Executive Shuttle Service: 24/7 door-to-door shuttle service.

It is my understanding that the share ride stops at 1:00pm and I can still ask for a "private" car. I talked to one company Go Port Canaveral and I was told that "Transportation from Orlando MCO Airport to a port area hotel for one to ten people is $90 total." After tips, it will be $100. Same price as renting a car. Although for one day, I will pay another $40 for insurance. My sister does not want Uber and I have never used it. I will probably take the opportunity to go to Cocoa Beach. Thank you for your help.