New to Norwegian Escape, any tips?

Dear all, we are a family of four, DH, DD(6), DS(4) and me. Just booked Escape for this Christmas. We have been on Princess and MSC a couple of times. This is our first cruise with NCL. Is there any tips you could share with us?

We have never been to "free style" cruise before. We are very used to go to the same dining room in the same table at the same time. Any suggestions? Free style is a little overwhelmed to us. Do we have to do extra work to learn which dining room has what and make reservation early?

About the kids club, is it good? DD loved the kids club on Princess but refused to go to the kids club on MSC.

:)

Welcome to NCL! I have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean many times, but on NCL the last two times and a third time in December...I love the NCL Freestyle approach. We cruise on Breakaway which is very similar to the Escape. Here are some answers:

Freestyle dining: Choices of big buffet, 3 dining rooms, and O'Sheehan's for no extra charge. Dining rooms have the same menu. Buffet has some food theme nights (Asian, seafood...) You don't need a reservation for the dining rooms but you can make one- ahead, or same day. Or just show up. You might wait a short time (or try one of the other dining rooms.) Food is good quality, service is adequate.

You have to pay extra for the fine dining restaurants and need a reservation if you decide to do this. With young kids, many would take them to the buffet and then to the kids club, and just the parents pay for the nice dinner.

I hope they will like the kids club so you have some time! Sometimes they will call parents to come talk to the kids if they are having a problem with participating to give you a chance to help them have fun. But most kids love it. For the evening, maybe you can get the kids to "help" mom and dad have a date night. Have then help pick out clothes and do hair and makeup and plan the time so they know how long they will be there and when they will be picked up.

Try to get to How at the Moon or the Comedy Club even if you have to take turns watching the kids. Daytime activities in the Atrium can be fun. Be aware that the goodies in the Bakery case and ice cream shop are extra charge and set the kids' expectations. There is ice cream in the buffet for no extra cost.

The kids will love the water slides - kids or big ones. The kids pool is deep - over their heads but there is a splash area. Kids can't go in the big people's pool. If the kids are in Kids Club the Spice H2O area is a great place for adults during the day. There are some dance parties open to kids held at H2O some evenings.

Room service is free for the food but there is a big delivery/service charge per order. But you can get continental breakfast with no charge (but most people give a cash tip to the delivery person.)

What else would you like to know?

It is just like Anytime Dining on Princess. The later time you show up, the more seat options are available

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! So if we want to eat at say 6 pm, it'll be a waiting line right? I did not try anytime dining on Princess, always go to the same table on time, kids like to have everything planned too.

Don't miss Howl at the moon.

Eat in Food republic.

Visit the District Brewhouse.

Visit the 5 O'Clock somewhere bar.

Have Mojitos at the Mojito bar (best drinks on the ship) Hopefully the chocolate cowboy is onboard.

Don't listen to all the negative crap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OMG Thank you PelicanBill for such detailed answers!!! Really appreciate!

For the dining room, is there any formal nights or theme nights? I know there's one night people wear white but not sure about others.

How at the Moon or the Comedy Club, are kids not allow there? We always take our kids along for the shows and they liked all of them, even one hour Italian vocal, they kept quiet and enjoyed it very much. Is there any main show room we can go daily with kids? How many show rooms/theaters are there on Escape?

Thank you for the tips about kids pool, I will definitely pack their floaties!

Thanks again!!!

Welcome to NCL! I have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean many times, but on NCL the last two times and a third time in December...I love the NCL Freestyle approach. We cruise on Breakaway which is very similar to the Escape. Here are some answers:

Freestyle dining: Choices of big buffet, 3 dining rooms, and O'Sheehan's for no extra charge. Dining rooms have the same menu. Buffet has some food theme nights (Asian, seafood...) You don't need a reservation for the dining rooms but you can make one- ahead, or same day. Or just show up. You might wait a short time (or try one of the other dining rooms.) Food is good quality, service is adequate.

You have to pay extra for the fine dining restaurants and need a reservation if you decide to do this. With young kids, many would take them to the buffet and then to the kids club, and just the parents pay for the nice dinner.

I hope they will like the kids club so you have some time! Sometimes they will call parents to come talk to the kids if they are having a problem with participating to give you a chance to help them have fun. But most kids love it. For the evening, maybe you can get the kids to "help" mom and dad have a date night. Have then help pick out clothes and do hair and makeup and plan the time so they know how long they will be there and when they will be picked up.

Try to get to How at the Moon or the Comedy Club even if you have to take turns watching the kids. Daytime activities in the Atrium can be fun. Be aware that the goodies in the Bakery case and ice cream shop are extra charge and set the kids' expectations. There is ice cream in the buffet for no extra cost.

The kids will love the water slides - kids or big ones. The kids pool is deep - over their heads but there is a splash area. Kids can't go in the big people's pool. If the kids are in Kids Club the Spice H2O area is a great place for adults during the day. There are some dance parties open to kids held at H2O some evenings.

Room service is free for the food but there is a big delivery/service charge per order. But you can get continental breakfast with no charge (but most people give a cash tip to the delivery person.)

What else would you like to know?

LOL marked marked, all written down! Thank you NCLfamily!

Definitely will try Food republic, thank you!

Is there any complimentary bakery on Escape (not in buffet)?

Don't miss Howl at the moon.

Eat in Food republic.

Visit the District Brewhouse.

Visit the 5 O'Clock somewhere bar.

Have Mojitos at the Mojito bar (best drinks on the ship) Hopefully the chocolate cowboy is onboard.

Don't listen to all the negative crap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just on last week. We ate at various times at all the complimentary restaurants between 5-8 and never had to wait. You can look at the evening menus on the app once onboard.

Don't take your children to the brat pack show. Lots of language and the cast strips to bra and underwear at one point. Howl at the moon is all ages til around 11. I never did make it there though!

Thank you!!! If we order from this menu, we'll be charged 7.95 per day, is that right?

It's not per day. It's per order. The order can be huge or small for the same $7.95.

The $7.95 fee would be for each order if you made an order for breakfast (non-complimentary items), then lunch, then dinner. The full room service menu is obviously larger.

Someone recently posted the room service menu but I can't find the thread. I'll keep looking unless someone else posts it.

How at the Moon or the Comedy Club, are kids not allow there? We always take our kids along for the shows and they liked all of them

The early comedy shows (7 and 9pm maybe?) are more geared for families. The 11pm shows are no holds barred and can get quite offensive if you're the kind of person who can get offended at comedians. Ditto for HATM. Early on, easy going, later at night they'll so some more risque songs.

Check the Freestyle Dailies for events in the Atrium. (Love and Marriage, Deal or no Deal, Battle of the Sexes, etc) Get there at least 20 minutes early to get decent seats. It is worth it as the shows are very entertaining.

We had a lot of fun at the Spice H2O parties at night. The 80s party was great and we were all singing to the top of our lungs!

OSheehans is open 24/7 and has really good food overall. And there is no charge. Go to the rail that overlooks the Atrium events below and they will bring your food and drinks out there to you. The main OSheehans bar is right there; makes for a perfect place to enjoy movies, etc on the big screen in the Atrium.

I thought the Thermal spa was absolutely worth the extra cost. But plenty of folks would feel otherwise. It was the most relaxing place I think I have ever been. I am so disappointed because it is closed for maintenance when I cruise on her again next Saturday.

There are tons of entertainment venues and options. Dont try to do them all.

You will get the layout of the ship very quickly. It has a very nice flow to it. Dont let the elevators frustrate you too much.

Enjoy the cruise!!!!

Great advice.

We order Breakfast every morning as our wake up call. We only order fruit and pastries. Milk for in room coffee and enjoy the balcony. All included with no charge. We do tip a couple of dollars each day for this service.

The early comedy shows (7 and 9pm maybe?) are more geared for families. The 11pm shows are no holds barred and can get quite offensive if you're the kind of person who can get offended at comedians. Ditto for HATM. Early on, easy going, later at night they'll so some more risque songs.

Got it! Thank you Kpjb!