News channels on NCL ships

Envelope21

CNN Int'l was one of the news channel offered 10 years ago (we're on the Star doing Mexico Rivera) and it was discontinued while en route ... while there're negative news coverage about crime, safety & tourism, etc. about the region :rolleyes: (can't say if there was a direct correlation whatsoever). For better or worst, I will take Skynews coverage over Fox, biases aside for what's shown.

Weather channel used to be available in those days as well, old-timers might recalled & I believed it was briefly "enabled" or added recently during Harvey/Irma. All these, as I recalled, from previous discussions, had to do with licensing fees for coverage to NCL as cruiselines do need to paid for access.

We travel light even when sailing out of home port but to pickup independent news - one can always bring along a compact, digital multi-band SW radio ... to pickup a good AM signal over the horizon at ultra long distance in addition to and/or in lieu of going to satellite internet or local cellular signal while in foreign ports. For storm coverage, it's been hard for some of the hard hit islands with nearly total power outage & almost no way for communications to get out.

Amateur (ham) radio stations had been struggling too - to relay & get the words out - as many had taken their antennas & transmitters offline to protect them and need time to setup for emergency broadcast, once the storm passed & find ways to raise their signals ... or hit undamaged repeaters at nearby/islands.

Edited by mking8288