Question for Key Wesst

2PinaColadas

I have been researching Key West a bunch. Last time we were there, we went to the marina, hit Duval Street (Margaritaville, Sloppy's, Irish Kevin's Hard Rock), and the southernmost point. We had a great time, especially Irish Kevin's. This time (in port 7:30 to 2:00) we plan to parasail through Sebago (about 9:00), go to Schooner's for a little while and hopefully have time to hit Duval again. How far is it from Schooner's to Duval? Is there some place we've missed that we should go (my DH is not interested in historical stuff)? Our time is limited, so if our plan is not a good one, please let me know. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.:cool:

Thanks!

Well firstly I'd invite anyone to join me in answering.

When you're at Schooners (SWB for short) you're just a tiny one block from the Waterfront Market which is a great place to get a sandwich made fresh for you. There's a local ice cream shop in back. Or across the parking lot you could go to BO's Fishwagon. Three blocks to the left on Caroline Street is Half Buck Freddie's at the old PT's location.

The parasail boat will be back by 10:30 for a 0900 flight, so you'll have time to do this first, I don't know when McCloud starts playing music at SWB (sorry, random thoughts)

SWB is 3 blocks from Duval and Greene, where Sloppy's is. 5 minute walk.

Once you get back to Duval, if you have 30 minutes of free time left, walk up Duval so the address numbers rise and look for the tallest building. It's a hotel and has a roof deck for WONDERFUL pictures, including ones with your ship.

Parasailing is fun, but remember you can do it anywhere. Key West has much more to offer on the ground. Even Duval window shopping is a good time. You can duck into a bar and ask for a "roadie" and stroll and window shop with a beer or cocktail (in plastic, the bartender will know what to do). Hope you have a great time.

When you're at Schooners (SWB for short) you're just a tiny one block from the Waterfront Market which is a great place to get a sandwich made fresh for you. There's a local ice cream shop in back. Or across the parking lot you could go to BO's Fishwagon. Three blocks to the left on Caroline Street is Half Buck Freddie's at the old PT's location.

The parasail boat will be back by 10:30 for a 0900 flight, so you'll have time to do this first, I don't know when McCloud starts playing music at SWB (sorry, random thoughts)

Once you get back to Duval, if you have 30 minutes of free time left, walk up Duval so the address numbers rise and look for the tallest building. It's a hotel and has a roof deck for WONDERFUL pictures, including ones with your ship.

Parasailing is fun, but remember you can do it anywhere. Key West has much more to offer on the ground. Even Duval window shopping is a good time. You can duck into a bar and ask for a "roadie" and stroll and window shop with a beer or cocktail (in plastic, the bartender will know what to do). Hope you have a great time.

Thank you so much. Maybe we should parasail in Cozumel since we have more time there. I love to take pictures and the hotel thing sounds great. I truly appreciate your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was called FAST Buck Freddie's? :confused:

Also, great tip about the "roadie":)

• 2 weeks later...

We are on that sad 7:30am to 2:00pm stop in Key West, and want to pub crawl Duval Street. What time do they start serving drinks? We would like to get the party started asap!

Any particular ones that open early would be appreciated. We love Irish Kevins and Ricks, and like to hit Margaritaville last before heading back to the ship. Also, anyone know what pier the Enchantment has been docking at lately?

Enchantment docks at the Westin.

I am not an early drinker but I do know that Schooner Wharf opens at 0800 and Sloppy Joe's at 0900 by which time most places will be serving, except on Sunday it's noon.

Mike:)

I see a few locals here... Sorry to go off topic but my son is looking to relocate to Key West and am having trouble researching apartments...

Does anyone know average cost of studio apartments?

About as high as the mortgage payments on my large house in Orlando -- and I'd gladly trade it in for a little condo in Old Town. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

There really are so many great little spots.....very hard to decide where to go since we have so little time there (7a-2p) I think we will stick to not rushing off the ship then go to Irish Kevin's when it opens with our gang of 12 and have some fun there then head back to the ship. Just about everyone that is going with us has been to Key West before so it would be fun just to kick back and have a few good rum runners at Irish Kevins :) Can't wait

Thank you so much. Maybe we should parasail in Cozumel since we have more time there. I love to take pictures and the hotel thing sounds great. I truly appreciate your suggestions.

We just parasailed in Cozumel in March. We booked with Carnival and it was worth every penny and the experience of a lifetime.

Archived