Pesos??

tracymtx

Is it better to have pesos in Cozumel or are American dollars okay?

No need for pesos. Most (if not all) stores, resorts, taxis, etc. happily take U S Dollars. Just be aware of the current exchange rate so you know if the price you are paying is equivalent. Some restaurants only had prices listed in pesos. The current exchange rate is around 19 pesos to 1 USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

US$ are accepted everywhere in Cozumel, but the exchange rate is often very unfavorable, sometimes being as low as 10-15:1 --- I order some pesos from my bank at home, and bring them along with me. When you do have pesos, and the menu is listed in pesos, you know exactly what you're bill should be. No surprises...

At most of the popular tourist spots and pier stores the prices posted will be in dollars - no reason to change money into pesos unless you plan to go off the beaten path or make a large purchase.

Much easier to use USD for a one day stint. I just returned last week from 11 days in Cozumel staying in a rented condo with family. I ordered pesos from my bank and the rate was about 20 to 1. While they take USD there, I sensed they'd prefer pesos (as that is the official currency) and even offered better prices for pesos when it came to things like restaurant meals and taxi fares, etc. Souvineers, I wouldn't really worry. Or again, one meal, who cares if you pay a little more USD than with pesos? Most places are eager to exchange pesos to give you USD back if you have pesos remaining as it is harder for them to get rid of USD. So they will give you a great rate - 19 to 1 with no fees.

If I go back to Cozumel for a land-based vacation, and I hopefully will, I will not order any pesos from my bank but use the Banamex (spel?) at the Mega grocery store to get them. Regardless of how many pesos you take out from the ATM, it charges you 30 pesos (about $1.50 USD) and my bank (U.S. Bank) waived the ATM fees. Much better deal than ordering them in the U.S. Another tip: The Banamex machine does not suck you card in and eat it if your bank senses fraud. So use that machine over others if you can.

Here's another tip. Look for the "Thirsty Cougar" on the main stretch by the terminals. Research it online beforehand if you like Margaritas. I don't like them and they were damn good. I ordered Banana Mango. Order them regular if you like a mountain of frothy margarita. Or on the rocks if you just want the taste and not the "ice cream." I got a t-shirt. My wife advised me not to get the one that said "I get high by going down!" Its really a pretty tame place that enjoys being racy with its moniker.

And just an example. We had an outstanding dinner for 4 at Guidos (Italian) and the USD rate was about $100 but the equivelant of $90 if we used pesos instead. Similar experiences as the Beach Clubs. Highly Reccommend Paradise Beach Club. Our favorite. Taxis that told us it would be $30 in USD dropped the price to about $20 equivelant when I asked if I could use pesos. Taxis were so much in our instance as we stayed in a condo a ways out from town and had a party of 7.