Crystal Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations


Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:07 PM.
17 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
We were on the August 30 - Sept 6 cruise that had the itinerary changed. When we were leaving the ship in Amsterdam, my husband met one of the new passengers coming onboard who told him that their cruise was going all the way to Basel. So I think you will be OK! We still had a fabulous time on our cruise and got to see more of The Netherlands than I had expected. The ship is beautiful and the service and food are top notch.
12 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Thank you for the update - much appreciated. If you could post along your journey that would be wonderful.

Originally posted by txislandlvr
I am currently on board Crystal Mozart for the Sep 10- 20 sailing. We have been told they are able to sail the posted itinerary. I will gladly update as we go along. I too was wondering the status prior to leaving.
Scottsdale, AZ
25 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Yes I will be happy to update. Last night “meet the officers” get together the Captain said when we get to Linz there will be “decisions made”. I take that to mean that the water level could be an issue going forward. He wouldn’t elaborate. I’m hoping it doesn’t end in a bus tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing about the decision at Linz

Originally posted by txislandlvr
Yes I will be happy to update. Last night “meet the officers” get together the Captain said when we get to Linz there will be “decisions made”. I take that to mean that the water level could be an issue going forward. He wouldn’t elaborate. I’m hoping it doesn’t end in a bus tour.
Scottsdale, AZ
25 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Update on Crystal Mozart - currently in Linz. Forecast is showing rain tomorrow for the Austrian Danube region. The Captain would like to make the decision tomorrow evening whether conditions will allow us to proceed to Budapest. We will be sailing to Passau this evening. So....we wait & continue to pray for rain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Once again thank you for the update. We will doing the rain dance here as well and hopefully if we all keep dancing the rain will come and make a difference, I hope despite the uncertainty you are enjoying life o. The Mozart.

Originally posted by txislandlvr
Update on Crystal Mozart - currently in Linz. Forecast is showing rain tomorrow for the Austrian Danube region. The Captain would like to make the decision tomorrow evening whether conditions will allow us to proceed to Budapest. We will be sailing to Passau this evening. So....we wait & continue to pray for rain.
Florida
51 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
I’m on the Mahler, leaving Amsterdam on Oct 3. Spoke to TA yesterday, who stated Crystal will be sending out letters describing options . Unless the itinerary remains what we signed up for, we might cancel or reschedule
Atlanta
5 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by Ceilknits
I’m on the Mahler, leaving Amsterdam on Oct 3. Spoke to TA yesterday, who stated Crystal will be sending out letters describing options . Unless the itinerary remains what we signed up for, we might cancel or reschedule
Thank you for your response. I’m on the 10/19 Budapest to Amsterdam and are relying on all of you for info. If your trip on 10/3 gets altered... there will be no way the ship will be in Budapest on 10/19. We will need to begin making travel adjustments at that time. We have privately arranged hotel and guides in Budapest plus our flights. Thanks again for the update.
Georgia
9 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by Norvig
Bigrhode, I’m so sorry to hear of your cruise plans being changed. I hope Viking gives us as much advance notice if there is a change of itinerary & compensated as well as Crystal has done even though I feel they could do better especially if one does not want to take another river cruise. $500 is not enough all things considered. I hope you have a great time regardless. We are supposed to start our cruise in Trier with Viking on September 24.
We sail on the 20th on Rhine Getaway Viking Vidar. We haven't had any communication so far about water levels or changes. I'm hoping this is a good sign. I'll post update if we hear anything.
Steve
[email protected]
143 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
We are on the October 14th cruise on the Bach. Frankfurt to Amsterdam. Anyone else on this cruise? What's wrong with the bathroom
layout on the Bach? Would love to know. I did order a travel clothesline with suction cups to use in the shower.
Florida
51 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by zsb11080
Thank you for your response. I’m on the 10/19 Budapest to Amsterdam and are relying on all of you for info. If your trip on 10/3 gets altered... there will be no way the ship will be in Budapest on 10/19. We will need to begin making travel adjustments at that time. We have privately arranged hotel and guides in Budapest plus our flights. Thanks again for the update.
We, also, have private arrangements in both Amsterdam and Budapest and will have to cancel if the ship doesn't go to Budapest; we chose this river cruise for the itinerary. I will keep you updated!
We are on pins and needles....
IL
210 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by Ceilknits
We, also, have private arrangements in both Amsterdam and Budapest and will have to cancel if the ship doesn't go to Budapest; we chose this river cruise for the itinerary. I will keep you updated!
We are on pins and needles....
Just keep in mind that Crystal only have 4 long ships of identical size (Mozart is extra wide so it won't fit in a number of locks) so they don't have the luxury or extra ships to do ship swaps like Viking and other river boat companies are doing currently. Their only option is to either continue the journey by bus or turn the one way cruise into a round trip or simply cancel. We were on the Crystal Bach in June doing the Rhine and our voyage was interrupted by a damaged lock on the French side causing huge backup in river traffic and we ended up not being able to complete our sailing to disembark in Frankfurt but Crystal Bach did manage to still provide most excursions and made arrangements to take all passengers to the Frankfurt airport. In August, we were on the Viking doing a Grand European voyage from Amsterdam to Budapest, Our original ship never made it to Amsterdam to pick us up due to low river level but Viking had another identical ship in Amsterdam already waiting for us to board. A week later we had to swap ship because of the low water condition. About 2 or 3 days before arriving Budapest we were told ship couldn't sail there due to low water level and Viking transferred us to Budapest by bus to stay at the Ritz Carlton and Hilton. Viking was still able to offer the bulk of the excursions despite this difficulty. Since this river level condition is extremely fluid, we hope the river level will rise high enough to ensure smooth sailing for all of you with upcoming trips. Our August sailing was the first time passengers including us were actually praying for heavy rain.
Scottsdale, AZ
25 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Update on Sept 10 - 20 Mozart sailing. Good news/bad news. We will sail tomorrow to Bratislava & do scheduled Shore excursions. Bad news is we will not sail to Budapest. Several choices - Plan A - go by bus to Budapest & stay one night in hotel & bus back to Vienna OR Plan B - skip Budapest, cruise back to Vienna & have an extra night on ship in Vienna. The water level is not looking good for the next 6/8 days at this time. The rain in Linz today didn’t help the area going into/out of Budapest. We will have final revised shore excursions & travel plans tomorrow at 2:30. There are 120 ships in the same situation on the river right now. It is a logistical nightmare for the cruise lines. You just can’t fight Mother Nature. Hope that the cruise on Sept 20 doesn’t have to deal with this but it is what it is & we have to go with the flow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
How disappointing but as you say it is what it is. I am sure the situation will not change for our cruise. I have been looking at the long range forecast and it appears the temperatures are still unusually high and there is no rain in the forecast.

Thanks for advising what options were given - if we get the same, we will opt for a return trip to Vienna as we really do not like buses. It just means a trip to Budapest at a future date.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip - which option will you take? If you choose the bus to Budapest can you post about the experience?

My husband and I really appreciate all the updates you have provided.

Originally posted by txislandlvr
Update on Sept 10 - 20 Mozart sailing. Good news/bad news. We will sail tomorrow to Bratislava & do scheduled Shore excursions. Bad news is we will not sail to Budapest. Several choices - Plan A - go by bus to Budapest & stay one night in hotel & bus back to Vienna OR Plan B - skip Budapest, cruise back to Vienna & have an extra night on ship in Vienna. The water level is not looking good for the next 6/8 days at this time. The rain in Linz today didn’t help the area going into/out of Budapest. We will have final revised shore excursions & travel plans tomorrow at 2:30. There are 120 ships in the same situation on the river right now. It is a logistical nightmare for the cruise lines. You just can’t fight Mother Nature. Hope that the cruise on Sept 20 doesn’t have to deal with this but it is what it is & we have to go with the flow.
New York
9,476 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by YWW
Just keep in mind that Crystal only have 4 long ships of identical size (Mozart is extra wide so it won't fit in a number of locks) so they don't have the luxury or extra ships to do ship swaps like Viking and other river boat companies are doing currently.
It only takes 2 ships on a river to be able to do a ship swap – if you plan the itineraries with this in mind [e.g. one ship leaves Amsterdam, the other leaves Budapest, they cross in the middle or swap passengers on either side of the choke point]. That's why river cruise lines with many fewer ships than Viking have been successfully doing ship swaps as needed this year. Hopefully Crystal will take this year's experience into account as they plan future itineraries. I remember a few years ago when Viking was caught unprepared and did lots of bus tours – they have obviously gotten their act together since and are getting a lot of praise this year. Crystal, take note!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean 1-2019
Ponant/Backroads Iceland 8-2019
Ponant New Zealand 3-2020

Completed:
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018 / Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018 / Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017 / Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016 / Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016 / Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016 / AmaDagio Provence 9-2015 / Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015 / Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015 / Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014 / Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013 / Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Toronto, Canada
1,463 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
It only takes 2 ships on a river to be able to do a ship swap – if you plan the itineraries with this in mind [e.g. one ship leaves Amsterdam, the other leaves Budapest, they cross in the middle or swap passengers on either side of the choke point]. That's why river cruise lines with many fewer ships than Viking have been successfully doing ship swaps as needed this year. Hopefully Crystal will take this year's experience into account as they plan future itineraries. I remember a few years ago when Viking was caught unprepared and did lots of bus tours – they have obviously gotten their act together since and are getting a lot of praise this year. Crystal, take note!


The 2 ships only work if the low point is right in the middle. If not, you need ships leaving at staggered times for the swap to work. For Viking they have so many ships at different dates that they have ships arriving at choke points all the time.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




AmaDara, Vietnam and Cambodia, 2017
Aegean Odyssey, Istanbul to Venice, 2015
Bike and Barge Holland, Bruges to Amsterdam, 2014
Uniworld, Vienna to Basel, 2011
Uniworld, Tulips and Windmills, Antwerp to Amsterdam, 2010
IL
210 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by txislandlvr
Update on Sept 10 - 20 Mozart sailing. Good news/bad news. We will sail tomorrow to Bratislava & do scheduled Shore excursions. Bad news is we will not sail to Budapest. Several choices - Plan A - go by bus to Budapest & stay one night in hotel & bus back to Vienna OR Plan B - skip Budapest, cruise back to Vienna & have an extra night on ship in Vienna. The water level is not looking good for the next 6/8 days at this time. The rain in Linz today didn’t help the area going into/out of Budapest. We will have final revised shore excursions & travel plans tomorrow at 2:30. There are 120 ships in the same situation on the river right now. It is a logistical nightmare for the cruise lines. You just can’t fight Mother Nature. Hope that the cruise on Sept 20 doesn’t have to deal with this but it is what it is & we have to go with the flow.
Just keep in mind the bus ride from Vienna to Budapest or vice versa is 3.5 hours one way depending on traffic and with a short pit stop half way. Your Plan A involves 7 hours on the bus which is too much. Plan B maybe the better alternative--less tiring for the passengers. The bottom line is there's really no good solution to resolving this low water situation.
Scottsdale, AZ
25 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by YWW
Just keep in mind the bus ride from Vienna to Budapest or vice versa is 3.5 hours one way depending on traffic and with a short pit stop half way. Your Plan A involves 7 hours on the bus which is too much. Plan B maybe the better alternative--less tiring for the passengers. The bottom line is there's really no good solution to resolving this low water situation.
Yes, they provided full disclosure. That is why Plan A is the least desirable to us. I would prefer to spend my time on the ship sailing back to Vienna. No packing involved. We will get final plan at 2:30 today.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scottsdale, AZ
25 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by M&M travel adventurers
How disappointing but as you say it is what it is. I am sure the situation will not change for our cruise. I have been looking at the long range forecast and it appears the temperatures are still unusually high and there is no rain in the forecast.

Thanks for advising what options were given - if we get the same, we will opt for a return trip to Vienna as we really do not like buses. It just means a trip to Budapest at a future date.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip - which option will you take? If you choose the bus to Budapest can you post about the experience?

My husband and I really appreciate all the updates you have provided.
You are very welcome. We are leaning towards staying on the ship & going back to Vienna. Less hassle, more relaxing & no extra packing involved. 7 hours on a bus does not thrill us either. We are flying out of Budapest & will be spending a night there at the end of the trip anyway. We already have train tickets from Vienna to Budapest. We will plan a trip to Budapest at a later date as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature