QM2 Drawer Pulls, Post Refit

Reuben's 3rd

We love the Transatlantic on the QM2, and look forward to our 6th this May. That being said, nothing is perfect, and one of the niggling imperfections is the sharp, square, uncomfortable and purchase defying drawer pulls installed during the refit, at least in Britannia class. We have encountered these twice, and have the palm indents to prove it! Could someone who is or was recently onboard tell me if Cunard has corrected this yet?

If not, I may have stumbled upon a fix. We recently had a new hot water tank installed, and the plumber popped insulation over the exposed pipes. It is charcoal grey dense foam, shaped like an open tube, easily cut into 2-3 inch pieces, and could be placed over those uncomfortable pulls, then easily popped off at the end of the trip (don't removed the tape covering the sticky ends). It costs about $1 a foot, in plumbing supplies.

I am hoping that Cunard has fixed this, but if not, I am prepared to explain to Customs why I am bringing plumbing supplies to the QM2!

Yes I'm afraid those draw pulls are still there and have not been rectified . I do agree with you they can be a bit of a nuisance ,however, I don't think I could be botherd packing any plumbing supplies, otherwise that'll be one less pair of shoes to fit into my packing ;)

Thank you, Bell Boy; I shall just pop a few of these small pre-cut cylinders in my case, maybe even in Martin's shoes! The pulls have become more of a problem as my hands become more arthritic. They were clearly chosen for appearance without sufficient thought to functionality.

And Ray 66, our last two trips were on decks 8 and 6, which had these deceptive instuments of torture. They are about 2-3 inches square, and you can see them on Cunards site (at least that is so here, in Canada). The old pulls, shown by you, were perfectly functional. I could open them with my pinky!

Thank you both,

Karen

And Ray 66' date=' our last two trips were on decks 8 and 6, which had these deceptive instuments of torture. They are about 2-3 inches square, and you can see them on Cunards site (at least that is so here, in Canada). The old pulls, shown by you, were perfectly functional. I could open them with my pinky!

Thank you both,

Karen[/quote']

We were in a BY balcony on deck 5. Strange that they changed them on some decks and not others.

Yes, that was one thing the refit got horribly wrong. The new drawer pulls gave no consideration to ease and comfort. Hopefully they'll get changed out at the next drydock.

Hopefully this is a change that may be performed while the ship is floating :)

Since my Swiss Army knife has a Phillips screwdriver blade, perhaps we will upgrade our stateroom to more comfortable / functional knobs.

Fully agree. Very sharp edges to drawer pulls and because they need some resistance are very painful to my hands and that of my husband. Unbelievable that thousands were fitted without being tested on older hands. We left out comments after our last voyage, but doubt that anyone in authority is going to own up to this non life threatening, but annoying glitch.