Best beach to spend the day?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:07 AM.
#1
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
We are a group of 10 and would like to take a taxi to get to a nice clear water beach in St Marteen. Can you recommend a beach that is nice to visit with children (maybe with beach chairs and restaurants) and where we could spend half a day? I assume some beaches haven’t been restored after the hurricane?
And how easy is it to get a taxi (or taxi van) at the port with such a big group? Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#2
Colorado Springs
430 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Based on my most recent visit, I would recommend Mullet Bay. It is very nice to visit with children and has plenty of umbrellas and chairs. There is no restaurant there, but there are some people selling bar-b-que right off the grill and drinks from a ice filled cooler. The beaches themselves are fine post hurricane, it is the shops and restaurants that are not back yet.

A taxi for 10 should not be an issue. Most taxis and busses can easily fit ten people. And you can arrange for your driver to come back and pick you up at a set time as well. Maho Beach is another option with existing restaurants and of course the planes, but the beach not big and I would not want to take little children there to have a beach day.

Kim Sha Beach is used by the cruise lines for their excursions, but it looked crowded when we drove past and there were only 2 ships in port that day. Simpson Bay Beach is also one that gets good reviews post hurricane, but I have not personally been there so I can't give a recommendation.
#4
Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
1,040 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Past cruise we go to Orient Beach in the French side, now after Irma there only exist the beach. For our March 18 Eclipse cruise we are going to Kim Sha Beach.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
X Eclipse Pacific Coast October 13, 2019 X Eclipse Hawaii Cruise October 3, 2019 X Eclipse Hawaii Cruise September 22, 2019
X Silhouette Southern Caribbean March 24, 2019 X Silhouette Southern Caribbean March 15, 2019
X Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean March 18, 2018 Oasis of The Seas Eastern Caribbean March 17, 2016
Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean July 16, 2006 Splendour of the Seas British Islands & Norwegian Fjords July 28, 2000
Splendour of the Seas Millennium Southern Caribbean Dec 28, 1999 Disney Magic Bahamas March 29, 1999
Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean August 16, 1998 Nordic Empress Southern Caribbean December 29, 1997
Nordic Empress Bahamas July 22, 1996
#5
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by Karysa
Mullet is a lovely beach but it has one Port o potty and I have yet to see a line-up!


You mean there’s only 1 toilet on the entire beach?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#6
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by RMH
Based on my most recent visit, I would recommend Mullet Bay. It is very nice to visit with children and has plenty of umbrellas and chairs. There is no restaurant there, but there are some people selling bar-b-que right off the grill and drinks from a ice filled cooler. The beaches themselves are fine post hurricane, it is the shops and restaurants that are not back yet.

A taxi for 10 should not be an issue. Most taxis and busses can easily fit ten people. And you can arrange for your driver to come back and pick you up at a set time as well. Maho Beach is another option with existing restaurants and of course the planes, but the beach not big and I would not want to take little children there to have a beach day.

Kim Sha Beach is used by the cruise lines for their excursions, but it looked crowded when we drove past and there were only 2 ships in port that day. Simpson Bay Beach is also one that gets good reviews post hurricane, but I have not personally been there so I can't give a recommendation.


Thank you. Mullet Bay sounds like a good option. I looked at the pictures before the hurricane. Have yet to find any post Irma.
Are there any change room facilities by any chance? If not, it’s not a big deal but thought I throw it out there.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#7
9 Posts
Joined May 2013
Take a water taxi down town and grab a few beach chairs. All come with umbrellas and usually a bucket of beers or waters. The water is great and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you’ll get a lot of people selling things just keep saying no. And there is a public bathroom that charges $0.50 to use. Overall I find this better than taking the 30-40 min ride to the other beaches.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#8
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by Alison9899
Take a water taxi down town and grab a few beach chairs. All come with umbrellas and usually a bucket of beers or waters. The water is great and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you’ll get a lot of people selling things just keep saying no. And there is a public bathroom that charges $0.50 to use. Overall I find this better than taking the 30-40 min ride to the other beaches.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds good.
What is considered downtown? Is there a name for it?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#9
11,596 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by kimsy888
You mean there’s only 1 toilet on the entire beach?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Yes. One Porto potty and although I have seen the odd person use it I am surprised it’s not busier to be honest.
#10
Colorado Springs
430 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by kimsy888
Thank you. Mullet Bay sounds like a good option. I looked at the pictures before the hurricane. Have yet to find any post Irma.
Are there any change room facilities by any chance? If not, it’s not a big deal but thought I throw it out there.
Sent from my iPhone using Forums
No changing room facilities and, as previously mentioned, only one port-a-pottie. Mullet Bay is not a beach where you will be pampered. It is more of a local beach that a lot of the cruise line people have discovered. There are, however, a fair number of trees and bushes that, along with a big towel and a little help, will give you some privacy for changing.
#12
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by Karysa
Yes. One Porto potty and although I have seen the odd person use it I am surprised it’s not busier to be honest.


Ok. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#14
Bel Air Maryland
2,285 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by gqboy1
I'd like to know too!
Great Bay Beach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






Carnival - Mardi Gras - 4/87
Monarch of the Seas -7/02
Voyager of the Seas 07/05
Grandeur of the Seas 07/06
Majesty of the Seas 10/10
Enchantment of the Seas 07/11
Jewel of the Seas 04/12
Enchantment of the Seas 07/12
Celebrity Constellation 12/12
Explorer of the Seas 12/13
Explorer of the Seas 7/14
Celebrity Constellation 12/14
Oasis of the Seas 8/15
Allure of the Seas 6/16
Grandeur of the Seas 8/16
Vision of the Seas 8/17
#15
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Thank you for the update on Mullet Bay! It is our favorite beach on St. Marten - so happy to hear that it is open AND has umbrellas, chairs, and food. The water is beautiful and in the past the beach has not been crowded. Food at Mullet Bay has always been "adventurous" but some of the best Caribbean BBQ we have had while cruising. Can't wait to visit in March!
#16
Connecticut
12,790 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by gqboy1
I'd like to know too!
It's a twenty minute walk to the center of Philipsburg from the cruise pier - which is on Great Bay - there are a number of open restaurants and chair and umbrella rentals. The problem is the water is known to be polluted by run-off from the built up area around town. If you just want to sit on the beach: fine; if you want to swim, I would suggest taking a taxi to Mullet Bay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
#17
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by navybankerteacher
It's a twenty minute walk to the center of Philipsburg from the cruise pier - which is on Great Bay - there are a number of open restaurants and chair and umbrella rentals. The problem is the water is known to be polluted by run-off from the built up area around town. If you just want to sit on the beach: fine; if you want to swim, I would suggest taking a taxi to Mullet Bay.


Ok. Thx. That’s probably the beach you can see from the ship when it docks on in Philipsburg.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#18
canada
172 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
How is maho after the hurricane? We're thinking of going there to watch the planes. How far is the drive from the port? Do they have actual taxis or just vans? Are there restrooms there?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dcl Magic 2014-B2B Bahamas
Dcl Magic 2015-Western Caribbean
Ncl Getaway 2016- Western Caribbean
RC Oasis of the seas 2018- Eastern Caribbean.
#19
11,596 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by bfamily4
How is maho after the hurricane? We're thinking of going there to watch the planes. How far is the drive from the port? Do they have actual taxis or just vans? Are there restrooms there?
What is an “actual taxi”?

St. Maarten taxi’s are van style taxi’s.
#20
canada
172 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by Karysa
What is an “actual taxi”?

St. Maarten taxi’s are van style taxi’s.
I meant car. We are a family of 5 so we don't fit in a regular cab.

Do they have chair/umbrella rentals in maho beach? Clean restrooms?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dcl Magic 2014-B2B Bahamas
Dcl Magic 2015-Western Caribbean
Ncl Getaway 2016- Western Caribbean
RC Oasis of the seas 2018- Eastern Caribbean.