Ulus - Cheaper at the Factory?

Dunfer

Can anyone tell me if the Ulu sets are cheaper at the factory than I could get them from, say, a store in Ketchikan? I will only be in Anchorage for one night, and the factory won't be open while I'm there. My daughter, however, will be there for a full day before she meets up with me in Seward, so I could have her pick one up for me, if there's a huge difference in prices.

Thanks.

We did not find them to be very expensive. I am sure that you can find some really expensive ones at the factory, just like with any knife. Unless you really need a restaurant quality blade I do not believe that you will save much no matter whee you buy the knife.

You will have more choices at the factory. However most cruise lines advise that you have your ulus shipped home at the time of purchase. In other words, they don't allow you to bring them on board. In any case an ulu can only fly home with you in a checked bag.

You will have more choices at the factory. However most cruise lines advise that you have your ulus shipped home at the time of purchase. In other words, they don't allow you to bring them on board. In any case an ulu can only fly home with you in a checked bag.

Out of my 3 AK, ulus were brought on board. You certainly can't pack them in a carry on for a flight.

If buying them in a store, be very careful to not get a cheap one not made in the US. Look for the "Made in Alaska" logo.

fcvbbiz_5cb7c9a.jpg

I couldn't agree more, I think we all know there is a ton of them in stores made offshore somewhere. Now, for other than cutting pizza has anyone found a use for an Ulu? I just have this mental picture of millions of them laying in drawers or sitting on shelves collecting dust.

I bought two sets (medium with cutting bowl/board) at a hardware store in Skagway, that were Alaskan made. The cheaper ones are made in China. I checked the Ulu Factory's online shop, and the price was $4.00 less at the hardware store where I bought them. I had no trouble bringing it on board the ship and they even reminded me to pack it in my checked luggage before my flight. Uses? Chopping herbs, garlic or almost any veggie. I have a large shallow wooden bowl belonged to my grandmother. She used something similar to an ulu and chopped everything under the sun with it. It's similar to an Italian mezzaluna.

Edited by rpcv77
Correction

Thank you for this great information! I plan on bringing home several as gifts from Alaska.

1. Make sure they are made in Alaska

2. Add going to the factory while in Anchorage.

I will remember to put them in my checked baggage for the ride home. :)

Thank you for this great information! I plan on bringing home several as gifts from Alaska.

1. Make sure they are made in Alaska

2. Add going to the factory while in Anchorage.

I will remember to put them in my checked baggage for the ride home. :)

Remember to get the block with the "bowl" in addition to the knife --use mine for most chopping in the kitchen. When we were at the factory they were making the "bowls" there.