Tracy Arm Fjord

anteloat

Are cruise ships going through Tracy Arm yet this season? Recently I read that they were being diverted through another route because of ice. Any updates on this? Thanks!

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam on July 4. The ship did not enter the fjord. The tour boat entered the fjord for the 3rd time this season because it had been blocked by ice previously.

Carnival Legend on July 7th missed Tracy Arm due to ice. We went to Endicott Arm and had a fabulous time on the small boat excursion. This has reportedly just been a really bad year for getting into Tracy Arm.

Edited by mondello

We were on the Legend on 7/12 sailing and also went to Endicott. I wouldn't expect any ships to make it into Tracy Arm this summer. The naturalist said this was an unprecedented event, nothing like it in the past 40 years. But Dawes Glacier is amazing! And keep in mind, most ships aren't allowed in there, so it's a bit unique. We saw seals and bears!

But Dawes Glacier is amazing! And keep in mind, most ships aren't allowed in there, so it's a bit unique. We saw seals and bears!

I don't know of restrictions into Endicott Arm. Are there any? It is not like Glacier Bay that requires a permit. Most ships seem to go as an alternate when Tracy Arm is not available.

I don't know of restrictions into Endicott Arm. Are there any? It is not like Glacier Bay that requires a permit. Most ships seem to go as an alternate when Tracy Arm is not available.

Yes, that is the only time they're allowed in Endicott, so there are restrictions.

Yes, that is the only time they're allowed in Endicott, so there are restrictions.

I don't think that is true. I know small boats and smaller ships go to Endicott Arm as a planned trip.

I don't think that is true. I know small boats and smaller ships go to Endicott Arm as a planned trip.

I should have added that from what we were told, cruise ships don't normally go there. So yes, there are probably smaller ships, but not the big cruise ships.

I should have added that from what we were told, cruise ships don't normally go there. So yes, there are probably smaller ships, but not the big cruise ships.

This is due to being a Plan B if the original Plan A (which is a better choice) doesn't work.

I think they tell people this so they feel they are getting something "better" because Tracy Arm was not available.

Edited by Coral

Endicott Arm doesn't allow cruise ships on a regular basis. It allows smaller boat tours.

Endicott Arm allows the cruise ships to enter when the Tracey Arm is not available.....

Endicott Arm doesn't allow cruise ships on a regular basis. It allows smaller boat tours.

Endicott Arm allows the cruise ships to enter when the Tracey Arm is not available.....

They allow Un-Cruise and smaller ships. Un-cruise is not a small boat tour.

There are reasons smaller ships are preferred as there are things that larger ships can not get to such as Ford's Terror. Large ships just skip over it as they can't get into it or plan their timing as well.

It is really not a preferred glacier for large ships compared to the alternatives. This is why it is not scheduled for large ships.

Edited by Coral

If the cruise ship is scheduled to go down Tracy Arm Fjord but ends up going to Endicott Arm because of ice, will the small boat tour from the ship always go to Endicott even if Tracy Arm is passable for small boats?

I'm on a HAL cruise in a few weeks that's stopping at Tracy Arm Inlet. It's a service call to drop off people for the small boat cruise, then the ship is going to Juneau. Do we have a better chance of going down Tracy Arm if we're independent of the ship?

I was there this week and went on a small boat tour with Adventure Bound Alaska. There was so much ice there was no way we could get into Tracy Arm. I have been into Tracy Arm on a small boat before. Endicott arm is beautiful too, just a different look from Tracy Arm. Just passing by all the ice bergs is amazing in itself. We also spotted two bears and a mama goat and her baby on the shoreline. Only a couple of harbor seals on the ice. Definately take the small boat tour no matter where it goes!

If the cruise ship is scheduled to go down Tracy Arm Fjord but ends up going to Endicott Arm because of ice, will the small boat tour from the ship always go to Endicott even if Tracy Arm is passable for small boats?

I'm on a HAL cruise in a few weeks that's stopping at Tracy Arm Inlet. It's a service call to drop off people for the small boat cruise, then the ship is going to Juneau. Do we have a better chance of going down Tracy Arm if we're independent of the ship?

The cruise does not enter the arm at all. This arrangement, does have a slightly better chance of getting into Tracy Arm. Why not call Allen Marine, and ask them is HAL pick ups are getting into Tracy Arm?

I was on Adventure Bound end of May, and the ice was packed the entire Arm. We did transit Tracy Arm, and got a very nice, long viewing of North Sawyer Glacier (which I did not expect time would allow). They certainly make more of an effort compared to cruise ships. Plus have the biggest advantage- TIME. Reason why you don't want the jet boats, and tight timeframes. Time is everything in Alaska.

I took an excursion through NCL (run by Allen Marine Tours) and we were able to go all the way in. It was terrific!

Are cruise ships going through Tracy Arm yet this season? Recently I read that they were being diverted through another route because of ice. Any updates on this? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

After having sailed both on different cruises, we found Endicott Arm to be the more lovely of the two, in part because we were able to get closer to the glacier. (although both are gorgeous) Also, the naturalist on board (DCL) commented that it was his preferred trip, too.

We were on the Capt. Cook July 21st, 2016. Got in about a mile+ from South Sawyer....so we could see the glacier. At that point it was thick surface ice and kept us from getting any closer. The icebergs we saw going in and out were HUGE compared to our last trip over a decade ago. Capt. said this was only the 7th time they had gotten close enough to 'see' South Sawyer this year due to heavy ice. North Sawyer was a piece of cake.....seems the tidal currents really clean that one out fast compared to South. If you are in port long enough to use Adventure Bound I'd suggest that as an independent trip--it is a long day full of nature and they do their best to take you in, but abide by all safety protocols. Great company and great trip!!

We've seen Endicott too, and our first love stays with Tracy Arm/Sawyer glaciers...........

Edited by thyme2go
add comment

Just back from Endicott arm TA still full of ice. Took small boat tour off of Carnival Legend today. Was totally awesome saw glacier calve ,black bear, humpback whale and great scenery . Don`t know how it could be any better. Also so close to waterfall that the spray was getting everyone on top damp . JUST BEAUTIFUL!

We were on the Solstice the first week of May and did go into Tracy Arm..

There was a time a few years ago that at 6 am, the Captain announced that the ship was substituting Endicott Arm for Tracy Arm. Guess how many people heard it?

Everyone I met that day talked about how great Tracy Arm was. They had no clue we didn't go......

There was a time a few years ago that at 6 am, the Captain announced that the ship was substituting Endicott Arm for Tracy Arm. Guess how many people heard it?

Everyone I met that day talked about how great Tracy Arm was. They had no clue we didn't go......

I had someone ask me a few years ago, "what city is that" as we were LEAVING Sitka. Pitiful.

Just back from Alaska. Took the Tracy Arm catamaran tour with Allen Marine Tours from the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam on August 1. We were very excited when we were told that we would, indeed, be going down Tracy Arm. Made it all the way to the Sawyer Glacier on a beautiful morning. The captain tried to go to South Sawyer and got close enough for us to see it but turned back because of ice. He said he hadn't been to South Sawyer all summer and would've tried but didn't want to limit our time at the glaciers. We probably got to within a 1/4-mile of Sawyer, maybe closer.

We also saw a gigantic iceberg not far from the bar. This thing was huge!

This was one memorable day!

• 2 weeks later...