Dealing with "Difficult" Posts or Threads on the Holland America Board

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:23 AM.
22 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Hello. I want you to know we really appreciate the opportunity to express our views. This is a great site and we believe it will ultimately benefit many travelers. It is a sure thing, we think, that some constructive critcism is good for any program, so let us not kill the messenger, ok?

Again, a job well done by you folks of CC and we applaud you for that.

Beagle2
17 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Who are the boards administrators? And does the word "administrators" mean "sponsors". Do cruise line employees get on here to write or respond to posts?

I appreciate the site's existence but I do get a "big brother is watching" feel sometimes. But it may just be me.
Tarzana (San Fernando Valley), CA
4,794 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by dustymax
Who are the boards administrators? And does the word "administrators" mean "sponsors". Do cruise line employees get on here to write or respond to posts?

I appreciate the site's existence but I do get a "big brother is watching" feel sometimes. But it may just be me.
Each forum has assigned Hosts (Joe and I are the Hosts for the HAL board). Our role is detailed in the Community Guidelines and is primarily to ensure that the Guidelines are complied with. We do not edit any posts nor do we authenticate any statements made by members.

Our work is supervised by a Community Manager who can be contacted at any time at [email protected]. She and her assistant are unofficially referred to as "administrators."

All advertising on the Cruise Critic boards is paid. No advertising at all is permitted in any of the board postings, even by "sponsors."

As for cruise line employees, we are aware that there are many who participate on the boards (some openly and others indirectly) but Cruise Critic is not a vehicle for lines to communicate with customers or vice versa.

Hope this answers your concerns.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)
Cruise Critic Message Board Host

To contact me, [email protected]
Missouri
114 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Recently cruised on Royal and they hosted a nice meet and mingle for cruise critic folks- is there any such thing on HA and how do we get one set up???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[list]
*Celebrity Equinox April 27, 2015
*Jewel of Sea Southern Carribean June 28 2014
*Navigator of Seas b2b Oct 27 Nov 3 2013 Europe
* Radiance of the Seas June 28, 2013 Alaska
* Liberty of the Seas April 8, 2013 Trans Atlantic[*] Crown Princess Dec 29,2012 Southern Car[*]Sapphire Princess Sept 29 2012 West Coast[*]Equinox May 21, 2012 Europe
[*}Liberty of the Seas Feb 23, 2012 Cozumel[*]Majesty of the Seas December 19, 2011 to Bahamas[*]Zuiderdam May 21, 2011 to Alaska[*]Radiance of the Seas May 14 West Coast[*]Crown Princess May 15, 2010 to Europe[*]Navigator of the Seas April 1, 2010[*]Monarch of the Seas January 8, 2010[*]Eurodam N Europe July 12 2009 Baltic[*]Celbrity Galaxy 2004 Europe[*]Celebrity Millennium December 2000 Eastern Carribean[*]Monarch of the Seas Mexican Rivera[*]Granduer of the Seas Europe[*]Statendam March 2007 Asia[*]Sea Princess 1999 Alaska[*]Bolero May 1995 Eygpt/Israel[*]Norweign Sun March 2002 Carribean[*]Norweign Sun July 2002 Northeast[*]Jubilee July 2000 Alaska[*]Carnival Elation 8/9/1998 Carribean[*]Celebration 7/26/1996 Western Caribbean[*]Carnival Ecstacy January 26, 1996 Bahamas[*]Vision of the Seas April 2008 Carribean[*]Serenade of the Seas June 14, 2008 Alaska[*]Radiance of the Seas March 13, 2009 South America
4,794 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by oliverdr
Recently cruised on Royal and they hosted a nice meet and mingle for cruise critic folks- is there any such thing on HA and how do we get one set up???
Find your specific cruise on the HAL Roll Calls board and start the process. HA does not have a program similar to RCI where the cruise line sponsors the programs, but the HAL folks are very cooperative in helping Cruise Critic members in making the arrangements.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)

West Tennessee
430 Posts
Joined May 2004
Thanks Walt! I spend a great deal of time on the RCCL board. This is something that needs to be posted on that board as well. Thanks again and happy cruising!
4,794 Posts
Joined May 2000
Thought I'd bring this post forward as a reminder. Also, when you get upset, annoyed and/or emotional while surfing the Cruise Critic boards, see the link in item 4. It's a real fun link.

Originally posted by Host Walt
Thanks, Heather, for your kind comments.

Another Cruise Critic Member posted this on another board. It is worth repeating here:

Tip #1 Ignore the Vocal Minority and this is a much better place
There are plenty of nice, helpful, friendly people on this board with no baggage that just want to talk about cruising.

Tip#2 Read the rules and follow them
They're fair. They make this a good place. If followed and enforced Tip #1 is not necessary.

Tip#3 You can gain a lot by just reading
Don't think you have to interact with someone you find distasteful to gain knowledge. Petty, clique-oriented posts and responses aside, there's a wealth of knowledge here

Tip#4 Chat room and Message board 101: Don't be afraid to turn off your computer
It's easy to get sucked into controversial, demeaning, nasty threads and get upset about it. Remember: This is not real. Odds are you will never meet very many of these people in real life unless you want to. Hint: If this is not fun, click on something that is. You have the power. Try this.

Tip #5 You already registered, that's all you need
There is no secret club, chosen few, select bunch or special people. You don't have to go out of your way to get along with or suck up to any board member or group of board members. Your question and your response has just as much value as anybody else's. If someone condemns you for that they, not you, are wrong.

Tip #6 This is not a democracy
Make no doubt about it: We are are here at the pleasure of the board administration. They're tough but they're fair. Follow the rules and you'll be fine. If you have questions about how they run the place, ask. I've always gotten an answer to any question I've asked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)

Albuquerque, New Mexico
12,653 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by oldengine
Don't overlook the "IGNORE" function on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profi...?do=ignorelist

If there's someone that you would rather not see in a thread, just drop their user name in there. If enough folks ignore them, they'll simply go away.
Thank you for that url!! I needed that function.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email [email protected]

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

Our Personal Web Site for our cruises, photos, menus, activities, etc. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Past Cruises
:

Brendisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-SA 7076-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-
VF 8154-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-
SC 6164-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-SC 6166-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-SB 7142-Caribbean (S) Mar 12
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 6175-Caribbean (W) Nov 12
Westerdam-SA 7085-Caribbean (S) Dec 12
Zuiderdam-SC 5190-Alaska May 13
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Panama Canal (PT) Nov 13
Westerdam-SC 5190-Alaska July 14
Westerdam-SS 6052-Alaska July 14
Nieuw Amsterdam-SB-5187-E/W Caribbean 7-21 Dec 15
Noordam-SB-7142-San Diego/Alaska 5-23 May 15
Oosterdam-SB-6166-Caribbean Wayfarer 16-27 Nov 15
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 5186-San Diego to Alaska Inside Passage - 19 Days-25 Apr through May 14 2016
Zuiderdam-SB 5190-Panama Canal (Partial Transit) 20 November 2016
(FINAL Cruise due to HAL Smoking Policy Change)
1,843 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Hello Walt,

I joined CC in 2006 just before my very first cruise. I learned so much about HAL and the Oosterdam from other cruisers that I had the most fabulous cruise ever. I continue to read and contribute now and then to these boards, but I must admit the negativity has certainly grown in the last three years. Sometimes I just don't get online for weeks at a time to give myself a rest from it all. But, overall, I think there is more of a positive nature on the boards and it is a wonderful way to learn about cruises.

I see that you're from Tarzana. My parents moved to Tarzana in 1959 when I was 15. We moved from central Los Angeles and we bought a house in the new development of Caballero Hills. We lived on Arriba Dr and there we were in the first 20 homes back there. Have you lived there a long time?

Thanks
817 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Your question and your response has (sic) just as much value as anybody else's. If someone condemns you for that they (sic) , not you, are wrong.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but contrary to what is written here, not all opinions are of equal value. Some opinions are not accurate and, as such, they are misleading and not at all helpful. Opinons can fall into this category because they are based upon bad information, because they are devoid of reason or logic or because the person offering the opinion is obviously not well. If the purpose of the boards is to assist others it is absolutely critical to question opinions that are suspect. Asking for clarification or pointing out the distortion in the opinion of another should be welcome if done in a courteous manner as it reinforces helpful/credible opinions while exposing misleading/incredible ones as such.
Too often someone whose opinion has been properly questioned responds by mindlessly incanting the magic words " I am entitled to an opinion" instead of supporting the opinion with facts and reason. That is a sign that the person doesn't really know what he or she is talking about and that the opinon lacks credibility, i.e., it is of little or no value.
7,010 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
can we have a moritorium on smoking threads? It's the same stuff constantly and no one seems willing to change or compromise. There seems to be one for chair hogs, smugging and jeans in the dining room.
Petal, MS USA
5,771 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
It seems that many of us get flamed for simply expressing an opinion about dress codes, stand up comedians, show costumes, dinner arrangements, and other trivial matters.
For some reason it gets personal. The way I see it we are all entitled to our point of view on cruises but should keep our negative views of other posters to ourselves.
If you don't like the shows...fine let's hear it, but if you don't like me.... then let it go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2017 Canada/New England
Vantage River Voyager 2017 Rhine River
Carnival Conquest 2016 Eastern Caribbean
Crown Princess 2016 Alaska
Carnival Dream 2015 Western Caribbean
Viking Prestige 2015 Danube River
Crown Princess 2014 West Coast
Sapphire Princess 2013 California coast
Island Princess 2012 Alaska
Carnival Fantasy 2011 Bermuda
HAL Maasdam 2011 Canada/New England
Carnival Splendor 2010 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Triumph 2009 New England/Canada
Carnival Holiday 2009 Mexico
Carnival Destiny 2008 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2007 Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend 2006 Panama Canal
HAL Oosterdam 2004 Alaska
HAL Statendam 2003 Alaska
HAL Maasdam 2002 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 2001 Western Caribbean
Enchanted Capri 2000 Mexico
4,794 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Thoth
It seems that many of us get flamed for simply expressing an opinion about dress codes, stand up comedians, show costumes, dinner arrangements, and other trivial matters.
For some reason it gets personal. The way I see it we are all entitled to our point of view on cruises but should keep our negative views of other posters to ourselves.
If you don't like the shows...fine let's hear it, but if you don't like me.... then let it go.

This is good restatement of our guidelines. Please see: Guidelines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)

4,794 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by owl61
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but contrary to what is written here, not all opinions are of equal value. Some opinions are not accurate and, as such, they are misleading and not at all helpful. Opinons can fall into this category because they are based upon bad information, because they are devoid of reason or logic or because the person offering the opinion is obviously not well. If the purpose of the boards is to assist others it is absolutely critical to question opinions that are suspect. Asking for clarification or pointing out the distortion in the opinion of another should be welcome if done in a courteous manner as it reinforces helpful/credible opinions while exposing misleading/incredible ones as such.
Too often someone whose opinion has been properly questioned responds by mindlessly incanting the magic words " I am entitled to an opinion" instead of supporting the opinion with facts and reason. That is a sign that the person doesn't really know what he or she is talking about and that the opinon lacks credibility, i.e., it is of little or no value.
Whether or not an opinion has value is not the issue. Opinions are like noses; everyone has one, they are all different and there's no such thing as an incorrect nose.

Pointing out factual issues that are part of a post that includes an expression of an opinion is fair, just so long as it doesn't get personal.

Example:

Member #1: In my opinion the HAL galley chefs on Eurodam are losing touch with their customers. I really despise the fact that they use salt in preparing their ice cream sundaes.

Member #2: Member #1, where did you ever get the idea that HAL uses salt in their sundaes? You must be some kind of idiot. Your opinion is just wrong.

Member #3: Member #1, I'm not sure what happened but I find it most unlikely that HAL uses salt in their sundaes. Could it possibly be that you experienced a human error and not a change in recipes? In my opinion, unlike yours, HAL's chefs do a fantastic job.

Member #4: Member #1, I can't believe we were both on the same cruise. I had a sundae every evening and loved every bit of it.

Which response(s) is (are) a violation of our guidelines?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)

Petal, MS USA
5,771 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Whether or not an opinion has value is not the issue. Opinions are like noses; everyone has one, they are all different and there's no such thing as an incorrect nose.

Pointing out factual issues that are part of a post that includes an expression of an opinion is fair, just so long as it doesn't get personal.

Example:

Member #1: In my opinion the HAL galley chefs on Eurodam are losing touch with their customers. I really despise the fact that they use salt in preparing their ice cream sundaes.

Member #2: Member #1, where did you ever get the idea that HAL uses salt in their sundaes? You must be some kind of idiot. Your opinion is just wrong.

Member #3: Member #1, I'm not sure what happened but I find it most unlikely that HAL uses salt in their sundaes. Could it possibly be that you experienced a human error and not a change in recipes? In my opinion, unlike yours, HAL's chefs do a fantastic job.

Member #4: Member #1, I can't believe we were both on the same cruise. I had a sundae every evening and loved every bit of it.

Member # 5; I love salt in ice cream. Member #1 is a narrow minded bigot for FORCEING
me to eat my ice cream salt-less. Stay off my ships !!!! You salt hating people think you own the world and can force your will on everyone else. Anyway if you don't love salty ice cream like I do...DON'T EAT THE $%&*! ice cream.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Petal, MS USA
5,771 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by oldengine
Don't overlook the "IGNORE" function on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profi...?do=ignorelist

If there's someone that you would rather not see in a thread, just drop their user name in there. If enough folks ignore them, they'll simply go away.
COOL ! Thanks for reminding me of that function.
Doing that would have saved me much anguish.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
89 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

Example:

Walt, sorry, but I am confused. First, you state that like noses, there are no incorrect opinions. Then you state that it is okay to criticize opinions that are wrong because they are based on wrong facts. The second statement contradicts the first.
For example,you impiedly admit that it is okay to point out that member #1's statement/opinion about the HAL ice cream is "wrong" because in actual fact no salt is used in making the ice cream (assuming that is the case). If salt is not normally used in the making of ice cream the original opinion member #1's opinion IS wrong because it is based upon erroneous facts. If some salt was used in the OP's dish it was human error that got it there, not HAL recipes.

Let's not avoid the truth just because of a desire to be kind and overly solicitous to members. We can be truthful without being rude as Member # 3's reply in your example was.
4,794 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by stella53
Walt, sorry, but I am confused. First, you state that like noses, there are no incorrect opinions. Then you state that it is okay to criticize opinions that are wrong because they are based on wrong facts. The second statement contradicts the first.
For example,you impiedly admit that it is okay to point out that member #1's statement/opinion about the HAL ice cream is "wrong" because in actual fact no salt is used in making the ice cream (assuming that is the case). If salt is not normally used in the making of ice cream the original opinion member #1's opinion IS wrong because it is based upon erroneous facts. If some salt was used in the OP's dish it was human error that got it there, not HAL recipes.

Let's not avoid the truth just because of a desire to be kind and overly solicitous to members. We can be truthful without being rude as Member # 3's reply in your example was.
An opinion that is based on erroneous facts is still an opinion.

Explaining that the underlying facts are wrong is not characterizing the opinion or the member, it's simply correcting allegedly incorrect facts.

Example,

"In my opinion there were too many commercials in the Oscar presentation. I'm guessing that more than 20% of the program was commercials."

If someone points out that only 1% of the time was devoted to commercials, the opinion is still an opinion that may change as a result of new, or corrected, facts, but the opinion is still an opinion.

The point is that we will not permit someone to be "attacked" for expressing an opinion. But we will permit posts that correct an expressed but incorrect statement.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)

Seattle
664 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
When I logged on this am, I see that the thread that somebody started yesterday is totally gone....I added a note to it yesterday.

When I try to find it via my list of all my posts, it's totally gone from my list.

It's like the thread never existed.

What's up ?