Jewel of the Seas - Disembarkation in Civitavecchia

mriehl

Has anyone been on the Jewel of the Seas recently that could give me an idea the disembarkation time in Civitavecchia? We are to dock at 5am. I am hoping to make an 11:15am flight out of FCO and looking at airport transfers (RCI's site didn't show a way to book, I'll likely be calling them too). If we dock at 5am, is it unreasonable to think we could be off at 7am (if we do self dembarkation)?

Thanks!

Has anyone been on the Jewel of the Seas recently that could give me an idea the disembarkation time in Civitavecchia? We are to dock at 5am. I am hoping to make an 11:15am flight out of FCO and looking at airport transfers (RCI's site didn't show a way to book, I'll likely be calling them too). If we dock at 5am, is it unreasonable to think we could be off at 7am (if we do self dembarkation)?

Thanks!

With self-assist disembarkation, if you are close to the front of the line, you should be off the ship within 60 minutes of arrival.

• 1 month later...

We have disembarked in Civitavecchia numerous times in the past. I think the earliest we were off with the self walk off option and carrying our own luggage (that is not putting it out the night prior) was 6:30 am. Even if the ship arrives at 5, we have to wait for the immigration people to arrive and deal with disembarking passengers. They are not there 24-7 type of thing. I do not think the cruise transfers begin until 7 or 7:15 anyhow and depending on the day, traffic can be nightmarish so a 1 hour turns into 1.5 hours. If you are making your own way back to the airport, via train which is entirely possible as we have done this as well (one train from Port to Termini and the second Termini to Airport), then as soon as they give the go ahead at 6:30 am, then off you go. Remember, if you are travelling to North America, you really should be arriving at the airport at least 3 hours prior to your flight. I would never book at 10 am flight. I would definitely be booking for 12 noon or later. Rome is a city where strikes of every kind happen at a moment's notice and you will then be stuck missing your flight. The last two times we were there, we had a flash commuter rail strike and then where airport maintenance workers were blocking the entrance to the airport. The Italians love to go on strike to create unrest.

Thanks for your help, I have booked there next flight at 5 pm... So my next question is how long can we stay on board, since I have plenty of time. I don't want to be walking around Rome with my luggage

They have a stay on board programme, you have to vacate the room as usually, but can use the pool, if it is open, and Windjammer for lunch. It costs $39/$22.

If you go into Rome there is a left luggage facility at the station.

Alternatively there is a car hire facility right at the port gate, and you can drop it at the airport. We drove to Orvieto for lunch, beautiful countryside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help, I have booked there next flight at 5 pm... So my next question is how long can we stay on board, since I have plenty of time. I don't want to be walking around Rome with my luggage

In Europe they usually have a late departure option for a fee ($39?) whereby you can stay on-board and use the facilities/dining. Sometimes it's appeared in the cruise planner as an excursion option and sometimes you get a leaflet in your cabin offering thus.

I'm interested in this too please. If we dock at 5am what time must we be off by if we don't buy the extra stay time. Our flight leave FCO at 12.25 thinking leaving the ship around 8.30am till 9am would be perfect if possible?

If you are not doing the extended stay option, then you will be off at 9:30 latest. Leaving round 8:30 is fine for an 10:25 checkin if you have a private transfer arranged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk