Questions about Excursion & Beach on Labadee

taylortime05

On Labadee 5 of us have excursion for zip line at 10:00 am. Me and hubby are not doing the zip line.

Freedom is the only ship in port and I think we will go to Columbus Cove beach. Should me and hubby go straight away to Columbus Cove to get us set up with chairs or is there anything for us to see when my adult kids do the zipline?

Also, has anyone done the wave runner excursion and been able to ride around on your own in a designated area? For the posts I have found it sounds like you have to follow the guide around in straight line.

Thanks

It will take at least an hour from the check in time until they come down the zip line. After check in they will go over to a practice area for a run and then take a truck up to the top of the hill and then stand in line to hook up.

Have them wear something you can see from a long distance as they will be "specks" moving fast down the zip line.

It will take at least an hour from the check in time until they come down the zip line. After check in they will go over to a practice area for a run and then take a truck up to the top of the hill and then stand in line to hook up.

Have them wear something you can see from a long distance as they will be "specks" moving fast down the zip line.

I think I will take Bob's advice and go set up at Columbus Cove and they can join us when they are done. It sounds like a lot of prep for a fast ride down. Is it worth the money and is it fun?

I think I will take Bob's advice and go set up at Columbus Cove and they can join us when they are done. It sounds like a lot of prep for a fast ride down. Is it worth the money and is it fun?

I'm sure it's fun, but it's not worth $100+ for 53 seconds to me.

On Labadee 5 of us have excursion for zip line at 10:00 am. Me and hubby are not doing the zip line.

Freedom is the only ship in port and I think we will go to Columbus Cove beach. Should me and hubby go straight away to Columbus Cove to get us set up with chairs or is there anything for us to see when my adult kids do the zipline?

Also, has anyone done the wave runner excursion and been able to ride around on your own in a designated area? For the posts I have found it sounds like you have to follow the guide around in straight line.

Thanks

Wave runner is follow the leader.

The zip line is fun and worth doing once.... Although my family did it for a second time on our Christmas Cruise last month. it takes about an hour total time. Get in a harness, go through a short talk down by the harness building, walk over to the small zip line for a short test/training run, bus up to the top, and then just wait your turn to ride back to the bottom (about a minute). then drop your harness back off at the check-in building.

I would never rent the wave runners. Not only is it follow the leader but my understanding is that they take you through a gauntlet of small boats on the water trying to sell you stuff. I don't want to spend money to ride a jet ski and then have to sit there through a sales pitch from aggressive sellers. To be clear I have not rented at Labadee for this reason so I guess I can't be positive this is exactly what happens, however, when I researched it a few years ago for our first visit to Labadee I was very turned off by the prospect of being a captured audience for a sales pitch.

Columbos Cove was fantastic. We rented a bungalow at Columbus Cove for our stop on Christmas Eve this past cruise and agreed it was the best money we spent the entire cruise!!

The zip line is fun and worth doing once.... Although my family did it for a second time on our Christmas Cruise last month. it takes about an hour total time. Get in a harness, go through a short talk down by the harness building, walk over to the small zip line for a short test/training run, bus up to the top, and then just wait your turn to ride back to the bottom (about a minute). then drop your harness back off at the check-in building.

I would never rent the wave runners. Not only is it follow the leader but my understanding is that they take you through a gauntlet of small boats on the water trying to sell you stuff. I don't want to spend money to ride a jet ski and then have to sit there through a sales pitch from aggressive sellers. To be clear I have not rented at Labadee for this reason so I guess I can't be positive this is exactly what happens, however, when I researched it a few years ago for our first visit to Labadee I was very turned off by the prospect of being a captured audience for a sales pitch.

Columbos Cove was fantastic. We rented a bungalow at Columbus Cove for our stop on Christmas Eve this past cruise and agreed it was the best money we spent the entire cruise!!

How much was the bungalow and what made it so good? It's too late for me to book anything online because we are leaving on Friday. Thanks

The Wave runner excursion was quite fun and possibly the only excursion even close to being a good value at Labadee based on what NCL charges. IMHO the zip line and alpine coaster are quite over priced. You DO have to play follow the leader, but they go full speed. Yes, locals paddle their boats out to sell you things, but my experience is that they are not overly aggressive. You simply have to say no and they leave you alone. I think NCL does the stop more to be good neighbors, and to keep it under control and everyone (passengers and locals) safe. Your guides are with you when the peddlers are there to help if they become pushy. Mostly the guides were warning us to be careful not to flip over the locals boats, as I guess that may have been a problem and source of contention in the past. Overall I say go on the wave runner tour. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it worth the money and is it fun?

Did it with friends who wanted to 5-6 years ago. There are many posts here from folks who loved it, but in my opinion it's overrated and over priced. Plus it ate up almost 2 hours of our day for a 45 second ride.

For half the price we felt the Adrenaline boat ride was a LOT more fun. And it lasted 45 minutes instead of 45 seconds :)

How much was the bungalow and what made it so good? It's too late for me to book anything online because we are leaving on Friday. Thanks

We paid $225.00 for the Bungalow. First that's much cheeper than the Cabana's (I think), second we split it with the family traveling with us, so it only cost me $112.50

I loved having a "home base" on the island. We had a beautiful view, private beach chairs outside of the bungalow. It also came with a cooler full of Evian Water and 2 floaty mats.

It also felt safe and secure enough to leave my camera bag while we went to ride the zipline or grab food from the Columbus Cove food service area. The area was roped off with attendants to grab drinks and towels for us. It also helped that because Columbus cove is the last beach in their little chain of beaches it didn't have a ton of foot traffic which also made it feel a bit more secluded. I am currently working on a review of our trip... Hope you will look for that for more info. I hope to post it in the next day or two. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks

The waverunner is a guided tour, you do have to stay in line.

I agree with going to Columbus Cove straight away. It is a big beach and you will not have trouble finding a spot later in the day, but there are only so many prime shade spots close to the water and those will go to the first people there. It is no problem leaving your stuff and then heading back to watch your kids on the zip line - especially if you tip the folks who will inevitably help you find a spot and set up your loungers. They will keep an eye on your stuff

Over by the zip line there are actually a lot of things to do including shopping at the market, volleyball, basketball, Bocce ball, and the Dragon's Breath Lookout. At the very north-eastern end of the beach it is fun to look out over the ocean and see the waves crashing on shore, but security will not let you wander too far - presumably since it is not fenced and you could technically wander into Haiti proper.