re meat pies

Those shop bought are ok but not like the traditional home made recipe's that have been handed down the generations. Do you remember when we got Thrieepenny Bits and Zac's in the Pud,the currency today would melt in a Pud.??clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Sure do, but my nan kept a lot and used them well into the 80s.

Very nice of her, looooove Christmas Pud, but this year had to buy one, just wasn’t up to the task, Recipe is at least five generations old.

Same here ages old family receipe. Now have you not trained Mrs and Miss Gut in the art of pudding making?:')

Same here ages old family receipe. Now have you not trained Mrs and Miss Gut in the art of pudding making?:')

Mum had always done them, but she is well into her 80s, I expect Miss Gut would be fine but she is a touch time poor at the moment.

Nope.

But to be fair to her she was not allowed in the kitchen while she was growing up, she has improved a lot in the last 37 years or so. To be fair if she has a recipe to follow, she follows it and turns out what the dish is meant to be, but no way will she depart from the recipe, whereas I’m not great at following recipes, I use them as a bit of a guide, but then make changes simple because I think “ That might work”.

But to be fair to her she was not allowed in the kitchen while she was growing up, she has improved a lot in the last 37 years or so. To be fair if she has a recipe to follow, she follows it and turns out what the dish is meant to be, but no way will she depart from the recipe, whereas I’m not great at following recipes, I use them as a bit of a guide, but then make changes simple because I think “ That might work”.

You sound like me...'The flamboyant chef.' To hell with ye olde cook book. I cook dinner every night, because I like to cook, well 6 nights anyway, the 7th night we go out for a feed.:o Chef's night off I say.:p

You sound like me...'The flamboyant chef.' To hell with ye olde cook book. I cook dinner every night, because I like to cook, well 6 nights anyway, the 7th night we go out for a feed.:o Chef's night off I say.:p

I used to cook pretty much every night, fortunately Miss Gut is probably even more adventurous and better at instinctive cooking than I am, and really enjoys it. So that works well when I’m not well.

The Mrs Can now do the basics so when Miss Gut goes soon I won’t starve.

I was pretty lucky my mum insisted us boys be able to cook iron etc.

whereas I’m not great at following recipes, I use them as a bit of a guide, but then make changes simple because I think “ That might work”.

Similar, I substitute things in if I don't have them. Even when mixing cocktails Vodka is a great sub for any other liquor.

Similar, I substitute things in if I don't have them. Even when mixing cocktails Vodka is a great sub for any other liquor.

Must be nearly time for my medicinal scotch and dry or two.:*

Back on track then to meat pies, must try and see if I can get a Timbertown GF pie on the trip up north from Thursday, might even have two.

I refer a better quality scotch with just a dash (5 drops) of water.

A mate has been sharing his Taiwnese whiskey when I have been visiting lately and it is very nice indeed. Will be visiting in a little while for some more..:D

I refer a better quality scotch with just a dash (5 drops) of water.

A mate has been sharing his Taiwnese whiskey when I have been visiting lately and it is very nice indeed. Will be visiting in a little while for some more..:D

Yes, I like a good single malt now and then. But ordinary stuff at the moment, Bells Scotch and Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale, plus ice. Good for sea sickness too.:hearteyes: Taiwanese whiskey, sounds very palatable, enjoy Mic.

Back on track then to meat pies, must try and see if I can get a Timbertown GF pie on the trip up north from Thursday, might even have two.

Hope you find some good gf pies on your way up. Though traffic could be a bit rough it was pretty heavy on Friday.

Hope you find some good gf pies on your way up. Though traffic could be a bit rough it was pretty heavy on Friday.

Thanks Gut, yes expecting heavy traffic on Thursday. We go Kings Hwy - Goulburn - Hume Fwy, M7, M2, Pennant Hills Rd, M1 etc to Raymond Terrace Thursday, then Woolgoolga on Friday, Currumbin Saturday. Coming back via Tamworth 2 nights at new Mecure Hotel @ Wests Leagues Club, then Riverview near Lane Cove re my son.;)

Macksville Bypass opens on Monday, bit of a bottleneck gone. I don't rush, 6 hours a day max driving for me.

Should be able to get a pie somewhere.

So you won't hear from me for a couple of weeks, thank God, they say.

The end of the F3/M1 will probably be the worst. If you need a break around Maitland give me a yell, I’m hoping to be finished work by Tuesday Arvo, another hospital visit Wednesday then plan on a week or two doing very little.

Though the poor old swimming pool is desperate for some attention so that may keep me busy.

Thanks Gut, yes expecting heavy traffic on Thursday. We go Kings Hwy - Goulburn - Hume Fwy, M7, M2, Pennant Hills Rd, M1 etc to Raymond Terrace Thursday, then Woolgoolga on Friday, Currumbin Saturday. Coming back via Tamworth 2 nights at new Mecure Hotel @ Wests Leagues Club, then Riverview near Lane Cove re my son.;)

Macksville Bypass opens on Monday, bit of a bottleneck gone. I don't rush, 6 hours a day max driving for me.

Should be able to get a pie somewhere.

So you won't hear from me for a couple of weeks, thank God, they say.

Drive safely and have a great holiday season.

The end of the F3/M1 will probably be the worst. If you need a break around Maitland give me a yell, I’m hoping to be finished work by Tuesday Arvo, another hospital visit Wednesday then plan on a week or two doing very little.

Though the poor old swimming pool is desperate for some attention so that may keep me busy.

Thanks Gut, probably keep going, I just take my time. Will be four hours from here to get onto ye olde Newcy Fwy I will say hello to the Colonial Terrace Motel @ RT for you. They have a restaurant too.:p Might get a mixed grill even.:*