Documentation

lbfluffy

I'm sure she gets social security. I think she is looking into the school district today. But she is set for this cruise with her birth certificate, marriage license and drivers license.

If she wants to pursue obtaining a passport and continues to have trouble, I'd suggest she contact the local office of her Congressman (or woman). Their offices are very good at helping constituents who are having trouble with the State Department bureaucracy.

If she wants to pursue obtaining a passport and continues to have trouble, I'd suggest she contact the local office of her Congressman (or woman). Their offices are very good at helping constituents who are having trouble with the State Department bureaucracy.

I would second this suggestion if she chooses to pursue the passport.

I have a quick question. When applying for a first time passport do they keep you birth certificate and in my case marriage license until they issue me the passport? I have never been thru this process and just want an idea of what to expect. Am I understanding it correctly? After issuing the passport they then send everything to you. I will be going thru our local post office that does passport by the way.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I have a quick question. When applying for a first time passport do they keep you birth certificate and in my case marriage license until they issue me the passport? I have never been thru this process and just want an idea of what to expect. Am I understanding it correctly? After issuing the passport they then send everything to you. I will be going thru our local post office that does passport by the way.

I believe they do

We had to give them the naturalization papers and they stapled them to the application

We cringed but she said we would get them back without any problem

We got them back

Remember though that a bc and ml can be easily replaced

Not sure what to do to replace naturalization papers as they replace original bc

Dh was born at home by a midwife in Sicily! Imagine the fun that would be replacing!!!

I have never seen his original bc either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Yes, after issuing the passport they will mail your BC back to you, but it may be mailed separately from the passport.

You shouldn't have to submit your marriage license with the passport application for first time issuance of your passport (as illogical as that may seem). The marriage license has to be submitted to if you're changing your passport to a new married name.

Passport agency will require verification (Marriage License) if your last name is different from your birth name.

cruise line will also require verification (Marriage License) if you use birth certificate as verification on the cruise.

There is usually a list of what is and is not accepted by passport people as verifications.

She should be fine with a certified birth certificate, marriage license, and drivers license to get on the ship.

Only problem, God forbid, is if anything should happen and she would need to fly back to the states. Can only do that with a Passport.

I believe they do

We had to give them the naturalization papers and they stapled them to the application

We cringed but she said we would get them back without any problem

We got them back

Remember though that a bc and ml can be easily replaced

Not sure what to do to replace naturalization papers as they replace original bc

Dh was born at home by a midwife in Sicily! Imagine the fun that would be replacing!!!

I have never seen his original bc either

Naturalization certificates can be replaced- to the tune of $350. And you cannot obtain another copy to have "just in case", you can only have one. I am not sure how much of a hassle it would be to replace one and I don't want to find out.

Passport agency will require verification (Marriage License) if your last name is different from your birth name.

cruise line will also require verification (Marriage License) if you use birth certificate as verification on the cruise.

There is usually a list of what is and is not accepted by passport people as verifications.

She should be fine with a certified birth certificate, marriage license, and drivers license to get on the ship.

Only problem, God forbid, is if anything should happen and she would need to fly back to the states. Can only do that with a Passport.

The cruise line may ask for verification. We've always brought the marriage license and have never had to produce it.

If something were to happen that required her to fly home (a low risk proposition for most) then she would need to obtain an emergency travel document from the Consulate. The regulations do contain provisions allowing the passport requirement to be waived for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons.

Naturalization certificates can be replaced- to the tune of $350. And you cannot obtain another copy to have "just in case", you can only have one. I am not sure how much of a hassle it would be to replace one and I don't want to find out.

Thank you

Fwiw. This is a great reason for someone to just get a pp.

It is the best form of ID available

And can be replaced at a reasonable cost

Secure the naturalization papers/ bc/ marriage license in a vault etc

And then just use the pp for everything

To the op: glad the 70 something year old is starting to travel out of the country it's just too bad she didn't or wasn't able to start this much earlier

She may have many good years ahead if her to travel and I hope she loves the cruise

Loves it so much that she jumps through hoops to get a pp afterward so she can really travel!!!!

Yes, after issuing the passport they will mail your BC back to you, but it may be mailed separately from the passport.

You shouldn't have to submit your marriage license with the passport application for first time issuance of your passport (as illogical as that may seem). The marriage license has to be submitted to if you're changing your passport to a new married name.

But the beauty of having a pp is that in addition to being the best proof of identity available all the documentation you ever need to submit when renewing is that same exact pp

No need for any additional papers

Just the expiring or expired as the case may be pp

Thank you

Fwiw. This is a great reason for someone to just get a pp.

It is the best form of ID available

And can be replaced at a reasonable cost

Secure the naturalization papers/ bc/ marriage license in a vault etc

And then just use the pp for everything

To the op: glad the 70 something year old is starting to travel out of the country it's just too bad she didn't or wasn't able to start this much earlier

She may have many good years ahead if her to travel and I hope she loves the cruise

Loves it so much that she jumps through hoops to get a pp afterward so she can really travel!!!!

We opted for EDL's because they meet our travel needs, but the impetus was the $350 potential charge for something as simple as a glass of water being spilled on it. If DW had a US birth certificate we'd still be using them.

We opted for EDL's because they meet our travel needs, but the impetus was the $350 potential charge for something as simple as a glass of water being spilled on it. If DW had a US birth certificate we'd still be using them.

Well of course the edl is perfect for you because it does meet your travel needs so its good you got it

For me a cruise from a USA port is always just a filler trip

Not saying we are rich or pompous but for me and mine...... Serious international travel is what we love!!!

ROME and Italy just need to be part if every trip to Europe we take!!! L ol