Kona Luau recommendation?

Melismass

Any recommendations for a good luau on the big island, preferably near Kona? We are staying for 4 nights on Kona before we fly to Honolulu to board our cruise ship. I thought this would be a good opportunity for a luau since we wont be rushed or have a time schedule. Thanks in advance!

All the major hotels have a luau on one day or another. Where are you staying?

My all-time favorite luau on the BI sadly no longer exists - Kona Village. It was destroyed a few years ago by one of the hurricanes and was never rebuilt.

Outside of that, I did have access to the luau at the Mauna Kea Hotel. I was staying there, so I got to hear it all, but did not attend. The everyday food there was excellent so I would think the luau food would be good, too. Got to watch the ceremonial laying of the pig in the pit in the daytime (got to roast it all day long), so I did get that portion.

We we travel to the Kona side of the island we tend to stay at the King Kamehameha hotel. I have never attended the luau there, but I have enjoyed the music from my balcony while staying at the hotel. It looks and sounds like fun and the setting right on the water is very nice.