baltic cruise in august

For outdoors, bring a rain jacket and a fleece or sweater Justin in case. My photos show us in everything from Florida winter clothes to short sleeves. Layers!

Indoors, depends on the ship. A European ship doesn't usually crank up the air-conditioning to freezer temps.

I need help in packing clothes. I was wondering what to pack because of the possible rainy and colder periods. Is it enough warm for swimming in the outdoor pool. What is the temperature inside the boat? Can I wear short sleeves and pants?

Tnx

You need a little bit of everything. In July we were sweltering in 80 degree temps on our port call to Oslo and then needed a light sweater with a jacket over it for a cold, rainy port visit to Helsinki a few days later.

Looking back at my photos, DW and I are either in shirt sleeves; shirt with a light jacket; shirt with a light sweater; or shirt with both a light sweater and a light jacket.

I don't remember ever using the pool on that trip. Or even sitting out by it, for that matter.

Of course, your tolerance will depend a lot on what you're used to in your daily life. I see crazy mid-western visitors trotting around here in t-shirt and shorts thinking the winter weather is just gorgeous.

Check google for temperatures. Whether you will be warm or cold depends not only on the weather, but also where you come from - a person from Lapland would think it warm, a person from Greece would think it cold. The outdoor pool may be heated or may not - depends on the line. The temperatures inside the ship are more or less the same wherever in the world it is - it's air conditioned.

The days in July - August are usually the warmest in the Baltic, but the nights can start to be a bit cool in August. It's different from year to year. But one thing is sure, the wind onboard the ship will have a chilling factor when at sea.

We had a mix of warm summer days (even at sea) when we went from Dover to Copenhagen and Warnemunde and Amsterdam. We could lay out on deck and many Europeans were in the none heated pools...the US folk weren't so keen but most cruisers were in summer wear or jeans and t-shirts.

All nationalities enjoyed the hot tubs so bring a swimming costume.

When we got to Helsinki,St Petes and Estonia it was cooler but you could still wander around in a light jumper or t-shirt. There was quite a bit of rain and wind when on and at sea on this part of the cruise so waterproofs are essential.

I also recommend cardigans and scarves to put over dressier clothes.

Weather can vary so much. When we did our August Baltic cruise the temperature in St. Petersburg was in the upper 80s. My DW swam very day, but she would have done that even if it was cold. We stayed one day after the cruise in Copenhagen and in that one day it was warm and sunny and cold and rainy. We were told that was typical.