SPF for your hair

nytonowhere

Is the problem that your hair color fades and that's why you need the SPF for your hair? (That's why I use it) Or is the problem that the salt/sun/wind make your hair unmanageable? Because if the latter is the case - I'd more likely recommend a conditioning product, not an SPF. For spf/hair color retention - I use a Garnier Fructis shine shield with UV filters...

I have thick hair, too...I put it in a ponytail BEFORE I get it wet. Sometimes, I double it into a loose bun, and don't get my head wet...that helps alot.

There are "leave in" conditioners that will help with tangling.

Your hair is made of "dead cells" and won't sunburn, so SPF isn't really needed.

I wet my hair beforehand with regular water and put a hair conditioner in and if I can find someone to braid my hair, then it will stay out of my eyes....the SPF for hair might help if the sun and sea water hurts your color, though.

Is the problem that your hair color fades and that's why you need the SPF for your hair? (That's why I use it) Or is the problem that the salt/sun/wind make your hair unmanageable? Because if the latter is the case - I'd more likely recommend a conditioning product, not an SPF. For spf/hair color retention - I use a Garnier Fructis shine shield with UV filters...

Both. i have blonde highlights somewhere under this brown hair now and last time my hair got a little red and it was pretty ugly. I dont know if anyone knows of any good SPF products thats all. And after the beach after it gets wet it gets really unmanageable even if i go in the water with my hair tied up it just gets crazy it never stays in a tie when it gets wet its just too heavy.

My stylist told me this is what she does....

Takes a small spray bottle and fills it with half water/half Infusium 23 (sold at most discount/chain stores). She sprays a fine mist in her hair several times while she's at the beach/pool or in the sun. She says it keeps her hair wet (so that the pool chemicals can't penetrate) and conditions it as well.

Hope this helps!

I don't have any issues with my color fading, so I have no advice for UV protectants. I do have major issues with tangles when my hair is wet, though! This is going to sound crazy, but I swear by No-More-Tears detangling spray by Johnson and Johnson. I always have a small botle in my beach bag. After getting out of the water, I spray my hair thoroughly and it makes combing so much easier. It worked wonders when I was 4, and works just as well now. I don't do beach hair either!

I have curly hair which gets totally unmanageable in salt water, even though I braid it or put it in a pony tail. We love to snorkel, but dealing with my hair is a pain afterwards. What I have found that works is to take a small bottle of a leave-in conditioner and a wide tooth comb. I put it in my hair in copius amounts after the last snorkel site and carefully comb it through from the ends to the roots. I'd think any leave-in would do, but I've been using an Aussie one.

The thing that has helped me at pools is to wet my hair in the shower prior to going into the pool. That way my dry hair absorbs the shower water and not the overly chlorinated pool water. I suppose you could do that before going to the beach too, but I like to look cute at least until I get wet! ;)

Robin

We live in Mexico in the winter months and I have color treated hair and use Pureology UV Color Defense - have done so for about 4 years and it really does protect my color. I also use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, both Pureology and L'Oreal EverPure - great for detangling after the beach.

We live in Mexico in the winter months and I have color treated hair and use Pureology UV Color Defense - have done so for about 4 years and it really does protect my color. I also use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, both Pureology and L'Oreal EverPure - great for detangling after the beach.

can i find pureology in stores? where do you get it?

I thought that maybe you were concerned with keeping the sun from burning your scalp, not protecting hair color. We can get skin cancer on the scalp, also. The scalp is one of the most vulnerable areas to sun and the least protected. Unless you are constantly wearing a hat when you are outdoors on your vacation, you need to use sunscreen on your scalp. Something for everyone to think about!

I LOVE Pureology! Pricey, but well worth the money....my hair (with highlights) feels like silk!:) I use the lilac colored bottle (Hydrate).

I second marie51's suggestion on Redken.

I never travel without Redken's Color extend sun solar screen SPF 12 which I spray on my scalp at the beach. (My scalp tends to burn at the part) It does not leave a greasy after feel and gives the SPF protection that I need

Check their site out

http://www.redken.com/products/haircare?category=leave-in-treatment

In NYC they are easy to find. If not in your area try

luxuryparlor.com

for decent prices on popular hair products. If anyone is a Kerastase lover they have great prices for the salon size bottles. Pureology is sold on the same site

Good Luck. Helen

Archived