Mobility challenged not the same as handicapped??

TNShadyLady

I don't want to start another thread about non-handicapped folks requesting accessible cabins. But who decides if someone is handicapped or truly needs an accessible cabin?

I have mobility issues. Hip surgery twice, not too steady on my feet, can walk very short lengths but for everything else require either a cane or a walker. My walker that I'll be bringing is wider than a normal cabin door. It would be nice to have the handicap rails in the bathroom, and a little extra room around tight bed spacing, etc.

But when I inquired about booking an accessible cabin, I was asked if I am in a wheelchair. I am not. (Yet, at least.) But I do have genuine mobility issues. I was told ONLY wheelchair passengers are allowed to book accessible rooms. And I really don't have a problem with that, as long as that is who gets those rooms.

But if an accessible room goes unbooked, why shouldn't I be able to get it? It would sure help my disability! Should I have it noted on my booking that I have mobility issues, so that if an accessible room becomes available, perhaps they would offer it to me? As it is, I'm booked into a regular cabin just like anyone else.

Is there someone else I could speak to about it? Maybe there isn't... maybe I'll just have to make the best of it, and that's okay. But if there's a possibility of getting a little roomier cabin, I don't want to lose the chance just because I never asked! :)

Hi,

It seems as though you have been mis-informed, ask "why are you being discriminated against because of your disability".

The problem is people call accessible rooms "wheelchair rooms" which gives the wrong impression. They are designed to cater for disabled guests with a wide variety of disabilities, not just wheelchair users.

Pete

I don't want to start another thread about non-handicapped folks requesting accessible cabins. But who decides if someone is handicapped or truly needs an accessible cabin?

I have mobility issues. Hip surgery twice, not too steady on my feet, can walk very short lengths but for everything else require either a cane or a walker. My walker that I'll be bringing is wider than a normal cabin door. It would be nice to have the handicap rails in the bathroom, and a little extra room around tight bed spacing, etc.

But when I inquired about booking an accessible cabin, I was asked if I am in a wheelchair. I am not. (Yet, at least.) But I do have genuine mobility issues. I was told ONLY wheelchair passengers are allowed to book accessible rooms. And I really don't have a problem with that, as long as that is who gets those rooms.

But if an accessible room goes unbooked, why shouldn't I be able to get it? It would sure help my disability! Should I have it noted on my booking that I have mobility issues, so that if an accessible room becomes available, perhaps they would offer it to me? As it is, I'm booked into a regular cabin just like anyone else.

Is there someone else I could speak to about it? Maybe there isn't... maybe I'll just have to make the best of it, and that's okay. But if there's a possibility of getting a little roomier cabin, I don't want to lose the chance just because I never asked! :)

I'm not sure who your source was, but I would hazard a guess that if you contacted the Special Needs department at whichever cruise line you are considering, you would get an entirely different answer. You do not need to be in a wheelchair to require accessible features.

There are different features and many variations on what constitutes an accessible" cabin from ship to ship or line to line. You didn't mention which company or whether this is your first cruise.

The cruise line rep you spoke with apparently had only a "wheelchair-accessible" stateroom available, which would have wider entrance doorways, a roll-in shower, no step up into the bathroom, a place inside big enough for the chair, etc.

A person who spends every waking hour in an electric wheelchair could not go on a cruise at all when there is not a wheelchair-accessible stateroom. It isn't just "nice to have," it is the difference between going or staying home. They literally cannot enter some residential doorways.

So I understand why a company holds such rooms for those who have no other option. The criteria there is " are you in a wheelchair?" (Nobody in that case "decides" who is, or isn't, handicapped, it's a factual inquiry.)

A person like my sister who has always had to use a walker following cancer surgery can and does travel in standard cabins and hotel rooms. Yes, it would be much nicer for her to have grab bars and more space. Her walker folds in half to be stowed when she is seated. Perhaps you might investigate a folding walker if yours will not fit through a doorway.

Did the original res agent refuse to enter your wish in your record? Have you contacted anyone else in the accessibility department and talked to them? Have you filled out a Special Needs form? Do those things and then follow up after final payment and keep in touch. Maybe they will be able to move you close to departure.

A partial solution to the need for more space is to book one of the lowest priced suites, or if cost is prohibitive, to ask the cruise line about an up-sell near departure time.

Though a mobility impairment and the need for more space to safety move about the cabin using a rollator in theory should qualify you for an accessible cabin the port of embarkation is a critical factor in making certain that the cruise line complies with you're request. in how you proceed. If the port of embarkation is a USA Port than the following applies and I recommend you call back and ask to speak to the resolutions department siting everything stated below.

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) that applies only to ships embarking from a USA Port became effective on January 1, 2012 that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Some of the key points are as follows .

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

If your cruise is embarking from a USA port than the fact that you have a mobility disability that requires the use of a rollator qualifies you for an accessible cabin because you need the features that are contained in an accessible cabin such as :

• Wider door to be able to enter using your rollator
  • Additional floor space to safely move about the cabin using a rollator.
  • Zero threshold bathroom entrance so you can enter using your rollator
  • Zero threshold shower you can enter using your rollator and transfer to the fold down seat
  • Mobility disabilities generally present balance issues that require the need for bathroom grab bars both by the toilet and in the shower.

Note that Carnival as well as Holland America have some ships that have both modified accessible and fully accessible cabins . If one of those ships are involved than a modified accessible cabin may well suit your needs.

Edited by xxoocruiser

There are different features and many variations on what constitutes an accessible" cabin from ship to ship or line to line. You didn't mention which company or whether this is your first cruise.

The cruise line rep you spoke with apparently had only a "wheelchair-accessible" stateroom available, which would have wider entrance doorways, a roll-in shower, no step up into the bathroom, a place inside big enough for the chair, etc.

A person who spends every waking hour in an electric wheelchair could not go on a cruise at all when there is not a wheelchair-accessible stateroom. It isn't just "nice to have," it is the difference between going or staying home. They literally cannot enter some residential doorways.

So I understand why a company holds such rooms for those who have no other option. The criteria there is " are you in a wheelchair?" (Nobody in that case "decides" who is, or isn't, handicapped, it's a factual inquiry.)

A person like my sister who has always had to use a walker following cancer surgery can and does travel in standard cabins and hotel rooms. Yes, it would be much nicer for her to have grab bars and more space. Her walker folds in half to be stowed when she is seated. Perhaps you might investigate a folding walker if yours will not fit through a doorway.

Did the original res agent refuse to enter your wish in your record? Have you contacted anyone else in the accessibility department and talked to them? Have you filled out a Special Needs form? Do those things and then follow up after final payment and keep in touch. Maybe they will be able to move you close to departure.

A partial solution to the need for more space is to book one of the lowest priced suites, or if cost is prohibitive, to ask the cruise line about an up-sell near departure time.

Suggest you read my post # 6 this thread as if the ship is embarking from a USA Port there is a USA Federal Law that applies. Based on this law and what the OP stated their post , the person is entitled to book an accessible cabin provided the ship is embarking from a USA Port. If the ship is embarking from a USA the cruise line cannot refuse anyone from booking an accessible cabin for having a mobility disability that doesn't require the use a wheelchair if that individual can attest to need of requiring the features contained in an accessible cabin. Now if the ship is embarking from a Non-USA port than the USA Federal Law does not apply and the cruise line can set it's own policy as to the booking of accessible cabins provided there are no local laws for the non-USA port that apply.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My husband is unsteady on his feet, can't walk or stand for long. We are booked on Azamara PH suite & have asked for a shower chair. Princess provided one for him. We also asked for wheelchair assistance when checking in & getting off. Princess handled this perfectly. I assume Azamara will be just as accommodating. We will see next month! ️[emoji568]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband is unsteady on his feet, can't walk or stand for long. We are booked on Azamara PH suite & have asked for a shower chair. Princess provided one for him. We also asked for wheelchair assistance when checking in & getting off. Princess handled this perfectly. I assume Azamara will be just as accommodating. We will see next month! ️[emoji568]

Suggest you read my post #6 this thread as if the cruise is embarking from a USA port the OP does qualify for an accessible cabin and should not have to book a suite because the cruise representative hasn't been properly trained with regards USA Federal Laws that apply to booking of accessible rooms.

Another consideration is the difference between land and sea. Barring earthquakes the land does not move but onboard a ship the motion exacerbates mobility issues making things like bathroom grab bars a necessity. If the OP qualifies for a handicap parking placard (or plates) the need for accessible features would be much greater at sea. definitely fitting the criteria stated in post #6.

I am same as you using a walker and a cane. I have had two spine surgery this year. I am unable to walk very far. I requested a handicap room for our cruise in 2 weeks and had no problem getting when we booked. They asked what the problem was and when I told them they said ok.

There does seem to be quite some varaition between cruise lines and places of booking.

My own rule of thumb is that I'll start booking an accessible cabin when the time comes that I need a roll-in shower. In the meantime I manage with a shower stool and either take the wheels off the chair to get it through the cabin door or else book a suite which generally has a wider door. I can walk around the bathroom using the walls for support and if I need handrails I can take some mobile suction jobbies which work well.

It means that I can leave an HC cabin for someone whose need is greater than mine. Personally, if it only came down to not being able to get a walker through the door I'd find a way around it but in the end, no-one but you can judge your own situation.

There does seem to be quite some varaition between cruise lines and places of booking.

My own rule of thumb is that I'll start booking an accessible cabin when the time comes that I need a roll-in shower. In the meantime I manage with a shower stool and either take the wheels off the chair to get it through the cabin door or else book a suite which generally has a wider door. I can walk around the bathroom using the walls for support and if I need handrails I can take some mobile suction jobbies which work well.

It means that I can leave an HC cabin for someone whose need is greater than mine. Personally, if it only came down to not being able to get a walker through the door I'd find a way around it but in the end, no-one but you can judge your own situation.

Thanks for that tip. I may have to try to find some of those that are portable. And I agree with you, I certainly wouldn't want to take a cabin away from someone whose need may be greater than my own, but neither do I see the sense in allowing just anyone to have it at the last minute simply to keep it from being unfilled, when undoubtedly there are cruisers already on board who could benefit greatly from having it.

My son has an above-knee amputation of his right leg.

He can look physically able when wearing his prosthesis and has been abused for using handicapped facilities (he can walk without even a stick). However, he needs an accessible stateroom, for the following reasons:

• He needs a grab bar and a seat for the shower. (Try standing on only one leg in the shower while you wash your hair - especially on a ship at sea - and you'll see why.)
  • He needs a bathroom on the same level as the rest of the stateroom. (Can't negotiate the step-up when not wearing his prosthesis.)
  • He needs a walk-in shower (Can't negotiate the lip into an ordinary shower.)

His prosthesis can cause blisters on his stump, if he walks too much. Then he needs to use two crutches. Continued use of the crutches is already causing damage and deformity to his shoulders. When he can no longer use crutches, he will have to use a wheelchair.

He can look physically able when wearing his prosthesis and has been abused for using handicapped facilities (he can walk without even a stick). However, he needs an accessible stateroom, for the following reasons:

•  
  • He needs a grab bar and a seat for the shower. (Try standing on only one leg in the shower while you wash your hair - especially on a ship at sea - and you'll see why.)

• He needs a bathroom on the same level as the rest of the stateroom. (Can't negotiate the step-up when not wearing his prosthesis.)

His prosthesis can cause blisters on his stump, if he walks too much. Then he needs to use two crutches. Continued use of the crutches is already causing damage and deformity to his shoulders. When he can no longer use crutches, he will have to use a wheelchair.

Here is atop for your son has he tried using a walker instead of crutchesideawill help to slow the detonation of upper body since his weigh will be distributed. Over a wide area.

I'm very sorry about your son. This goes to show that we can never be certain what challenges someone else faces.

If someone wants to glare at me for using the accessible stall, too bad for them. They are not in my shoes. They don't know what challenges I am facing that day.

Similarly, when I need an accessible room, I'll request one.

Maybe more of the cruise lines will make rooms that are accessible without the full wheelchair turning radius one of these days for people who need the rails and shower but not the added space.

I have mobility issues and I need the grab bars and the higher toilet in the bathroom. I will be bringing an electric wheelchair next April because I am unable to walk very far at a time.

Our next cruise we wanted a GS and they don't have an accessible one so I have talked to special needs and asked them for an extended commode seat. They said it will be there when we board. That will be very helpful. The door is wider on the suite so I shouldn't have an problem getting in and out the door.

The Special Needs dept. is very helpful if you call or email them they will assist you with your needs.

My mom will be 91 by our next cruise. It will be her first in a handicap cabin. She is very healthy but her knees are quite bad. Last cruise there was an issue getting up the step to the restroom so I said from now on we get a handicap. No sense in taking a chance falling if you don't have to. Like someone else said, you have to judge when the time comes for a handicap cabin. My mom's time is here. Happy cruising!

My son has an above-knee amputation of his right leg. ................................. Continued use of the crutches is already causing damage and deformity to his shoulders. When he can no longer use crutches, he will have to use a wheelchair.

Please let me offer some advice, as a 13 year crutch (and wheelchair) user who already has quite a few shoulder problems, despite having a chest as muscular as a pigeon :o :

• Firstly, he needs to make sure he is using elbow crutches, not the horrible underarm things that cause a lot of damage very quickly. Permanent user or so-called "bariatric" crutches are much better than the adjustable, cliky versions and moulded hand grips help avoid hand & wrist problems.
  • Secondly, I'd advise him to seek the advice of a good, specialist rehab physio to help sort his walking gait with crutches. I was in quite a poor state until 7 years ago when I got the right attention. I now see the physio about every 4 weeks for a few hours and get both my gait sorted out but also a lot of work on my shoulders and trunk to keep me freed up.
  • Thirdly, there are excercises he can do to keep his shoulders in good condition and prevent them rolling forward, which causes a lot of damage.

In summary, I would have been a full time chair user by now without help. Especially if you are a part time crutch user, it's very easy (very natural actually) to put a lot of weight forward rather than being nice and erect, which is very bad for the shoulders and chest.

Thank you for your advice, for my son. He already uses elbow crutches, and has done so ever since losing his leg, in 2001.

However, whether you use crutches of any type or a walker, the full body weight is still going to borne by the shoulders when using a walking aid. Being an ex-gymnast and wind-surfer, he already had strong shoulder musculature before his accident.

He had, and still has, help from a physiotherapist.

Edited by celle

I have mobility issues and I need the grab bars and the higher toilet in the bathroom. I will be bringing an electric wheelchair next April because I am unable to walk very far at a time.

Our next cruise we wanted a GS and they don't have an accessible one so I have talked to special needs and asked them for an extended commode seat. They said it will be there when we board. That will be very helpful. The door is wider on the suite so I shouldn't have an problem getting in and out the door.

The Special Needs dept. is very helpful if you call or email them they will assist you with your needs.

Since I don't know what your mobility issues are this might not make any difference to you but I thought I would mention this in case you are not aware that in a GS the tub/shower is higher than it is in other cabins. I'm guessing that it is at least 2 inches or more higher. My wife has had both knees replaced and she cannot step over into it. We always get an OS so she has a walk in shower.

Truly well designed wheelchair accessible rooms and cabins do not have raised toilets. Only those going from seated to standing need a higher toilet. Those of us who either slide, push up and over from a wheelchair or use a portable shower/commode chair and wheel over the toilet need one at a height equal to most wheelchairs. If you need height request a seat riser for the toilet from the line. Some lines can now also add extra grab bars if needed temporarily to bathrooms in regular cabins and suites.

And what is a GS and OS? I am assuming some lines' suite classes but which line would help.

As far as Azamara, they have rather nice HP cabins. They recently changed their HP Verandah Suites to HP Penthouse Suites during dry dock. I haven't been in one since the change but the size was to remain the same. I think they are just going with the higher class to match what Princess did with their R Class ships and to make more $$$ off of them. So it is Penthouse or back to a window as there are no verandah now that are accessible. Do be aware that the Quest has the worst gangway I have ever experienced for those who are full time wheelers and for many walkers as it is all very shallow, very low steps all the way. Even on normal dockings the crew will be carrying you down. Scary!

Thank you for your advice, for my son. He already uses elbow crutches, and has done so ever since losing his leg, in 2001.

However, whether you use crutches of any type or a walker, the full body weight is still going to borne by the shoulders when using a walking aid. Being an ex-gymnast and wind-surfer, he already had strong shoulder musculature before his accident.

He had, and still has, help from a physiotherapist.

He may have already considered them- or they might not be an option for him (they're insanely expensive - I was only able to get mine through community health funding) - but has your son ever looked at 'SideStix'? I'm a mostly wheelchair/part time crutches user - but in close to half my life using crutches (and with a fair collection of shoulder/elbow/wrist problems into the bargain) these are the by far the best I've found as they have a shock absorber built into the shaft & have a pivot in the ferrule (and although no crutch is ever guaranteed not to slip on wet ground, these are the closest to non slip I've found), which greatly reduces the stress on the arms & upper body. My shoulders were clunking and grating so badly with my old forearm crutches I couldn't use the things - these, my shoulders have actually improved rather than deteriorated further.