Walking 7 Mile Beach

WendyCity11

Thank you CB! I wanted to make sure there were nothing along the beach (fences, rocks, etc.) that I wouldn't be able to walk around. I am hoping to be able to enjoy some of the beaches/cocktails/lunch along the walk, and want to make sure I can make it back to the ship in plenty of time. I appreciate your help!

Hi Buffy - I was at Royal Palms in November and fell in love with Grand Cayman. I'm heading back this month, and really want to walk the beautiful beachfront. I started walking the beach a bit when I was there, but wasn't too sure how far I could go up without having to turn around, and wasn't sure about how long it would take, so I didn't go too far from Royal Palms. I'm glad to hear I'm able to walk it. I can't wait to explore! About how long did it take you?

Most of the time we were out for 2-3 hours, but it was just straight walking. We'd walk, take pictures, jump in the water, get out and walk again, repeat. It was so enjoyable. We saw a lot of the same people every day. Some locals, some visitors. Some locals with dogs who love the water. Some joggers, some slow meanderers. Just about any type of person you could think of. Wish I had the option to walk it every day. We were staying at our timeshare, which is south of the Marriott. Some days we made it up to Calico Jacks, other's just past the Ritz Carlton. I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time. Are you doing a cruise again or staying on the island? We've stayed 3 times (2007, 2010, 2017) and I have a hard time wanting to try anything else.

It sounds like you had such a wonderful time! I'm cruising again, but considering taking the family for the holidays. I can understand how you are having a hard time choosing something else. It is just such a beautiful island and the locals are so very nice. Just laid back, and not at all pushy. You are very fortunate to have the time share. I would book every week if I could! :) It has become my most favorite island so far, and I look forward to discovering more. Thank you so much for all your insight. It is very much appreciated! I hope you are able to make it back soon!

Thanks. Enjoy your trip! I would definitely vote to take your family for the holidays. Our youngest son has traveled with us all three times (when he was 5, 8 and 15). My mother-in-law has come with us all three times as well. My oldest stepson was with us in 2010 and my parents went with us last year. They now officially love Cayman more than Hawaii and they have been to Hawaii a lot. Have a great day!

• 4 weeks later...
One note - don't worry about the "high water mark" thing - beaches are public everywhere on the Cayman Islands, even above the high water mark. But the chairs, tables, umbrellas, and cabanas which may be put out are not public!

I think you may be new to the boards and to the islands, because the law actually specifically states beaches are "public to the high water mark" and beyond that is private property. I know, since the property line for our house at Rum Point gives the high water mark as our waterside boundary. So if you come throw a towel down in my yard, I'm going to ask you to leave... :-)

Well, I may be new to this board, but am certainly not new to the island. :-)

A while back I did some digging as to what the law actually is.

For reference, see the government site at http://www.caymanislands.ky/Portals/0/Docs/FOI/LicensingInspection/TourismAccommodationManual2012-13-Sept.pdf

I will quote the relevant part here so folks don't have to go wading through the whole thing (which is very long):

"The public access to Cayman‟s beaches is by the recognized public rights of way which are usually clearly marked on maps and physically on the ground.

Landowners over whose land these public rights of way exist are under a legal duty to make sure that they are kept free and clear of any obstruction or debris.

Once members of the public arrive on the beach the following rules apply:

The seaward boundary of a landowner‟s or tenant‟s property is, in tidal waters, the mean high water mark.

Between the mean high water mark and the low water mark, known as “foreshore”, the land belongs to the Crown as does anything below the sea up to the limit of territorial waters.

Where, however, a landowner‟s property consists of “beach” above the mean high water mark, then the usual rule, that a landowner can eject anyone he chooses from his land, is displaced.

Members of the public have the right to use any part of Cayman‟s beaches for recreation even though the part of the beach being used is on private property, i.e. is above the mean high water mark. Such a public right is one of a group of rights which members of the public enjoy, even over private land, in the Cayman Islands. It is a right which the law presumes to have existed for many years and which members of the public have acquired under the Prescription Law.

Whilst members of the public have no rights to use private property such as beach furniture which belongs to beachfront property owners, they may not be prevented from using the beach or passing to and fro along the beach even where the beach they use is on private land. Hotel managers should ensure that all staff working on the beach such a security personnel and food and beverage staff are aware of the law and that the public right to use any part of the beach is not restricted or limited in any way."

I would say that was quite clear.

That might be the letter of the law, but if you set up on a towel in my yard I'm still going to ask you to leave, and that's, in my experience, what will happen if you throw down a towel in the areas the hotels have cleaned up and maintained for their guests. And if you're a cruise ship visitor with only a few hours to spend enjoying the sun and sand, do you really want to spend it arguing with a security guard about the technicalities of the law?

I agree - visitors can make their own minds up how they want to deal with ornery property owners who do not understand the law. But you made a statement about what the law states, and my reading of the law is different. Maybe we could not spread such misinformation in future? I'm not picking on you, specifically - this gets thrown around a lot by a lot of people and is incorrect advice.

Here is a related news article about what the Cayman Islands government is doing to enforce these laws: https://www.caymancompass.com/2017/11/01/private-property-keep-out-beach-access-row-remains-unresolved/

(Oh, and I love you footer quote, btw - been one of my faves for years!)

I agree - visitors can make their own minds up how they want to deal with ornery property owners who do not understand the law. But you made a statement about what the law states, and my reading of the law is different. Maybe we could not spread such misinformation in future? I'm not picking on you, specifically - this gets thrown around a lot by a lot of people and is incorrect advice.

Here is a related news article about what the Cayman Islands government is doing to enforce these laws: https://www.caymancompass.com/2017/11/01/private-property-keep-out-beach-access-row-remains-unresolved/

(Oh, and I love you footer quote, btw - been one of my faves for years!)

The beach access dispute is more about the paths to the beach that have been blocked off and/or let become overgrown, isn't it? I totally agree that the property owners are in the wrong there. Just because you don't like where the public path is doesn't give you the right to close it or move it (unless you're Dart, in which case you'll be fine doing whatever you want).

You're actually the first person I've run into in over a decade of owning property in Cayman and spending at least part of every year here (I'm on island right now) that has put forth that version of the law. I admit, I'd never read the hotel laws before as a private property owner. Very interesting...guess it's time to call our lawyer for a verdict, since it's a bit of a sore spot with us. (Nothing like arriving on island to find strangers camping or picnicking in your yard to put you in a bad mood for the trip. Or is that just me?)

Either way, having seen people (and been ourselves) asked to leave a hotel beach when we weren't guests there, I'd probably still never advise someone to set up at one of the hotels or condos as a cruise ship visitor. It's just not worth the annoyance, IMO, even if it is technically legal. And there's a ton of good beach spots where cruiseshippers are welcome and even encouraged to visit. I'd just prefer to send people where I know they won't be hassled, I guess.

The article I linked to starts out by talking about the access paths, but at the bottom there is a quote from the Kimpton manager about people actually using the beach in front of the hotel.

And I agree - that law is buried and difficult to find online. I had to search long and hard for it. But it's backed up by that news report, so it's not only me. :-)

Personally, I wouldn't dump myself down in front of a hotel, either - they are normally the busiest parts of the beach, and the remaining 5.5 miles is far more quiet. I think that that would be good advice, but we can't be claiming that it's the law, you know?

And yes, maybe your lawyer could help you with that - oh, here is one other reference for you - that quote talks about "Prescription Law" - here is what I could find on that - https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5b38b2ca-ed36-48a6-ac71-8ee32f48cb84

It doesn't apply, of course, to shoreline that is ironshore, just beach.

Sorry, I know this is of limited interested to cruise visitors - just want to make sure that the facts are out there and that people can enjoy the islands and what they have to offer.

The article I linked to starts out by talking about the access paths, but at the bottom there is a quote from the Kimpton manager about people actually using the beach in front of the hotel.

And I agree - that law is buried and difficult to find online. I had to search long and hard for it. But it's backed up by that news report, so it's not only me. :-)

Personally, I wouldn't dump myself down in front of a hotel, either - they are normally the busiest parts of the beach, and the remaining 5.5 miles is far more quiet. I think that that would be good advice, but we can't be claiming that it's the law, you know?

And yes, maybe your lawyer could help you with that - oh, here is one other reference for you - that quote talks about "Prescription Law" - here is what I could find on that - https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5b38b2ca-ed36-48a6-ac71-8ee32f48cb84

It doesn't apply, of course, to shoreline that is ironshore, just beach.

Sorry, I know this is of limited interested to cruise visitors - just want to make sure that the facts are out there and that people can enjoy the islands and what they have to offer.

The law of using the nice soft sandy part of the beach away from the water mark seems very clear to me.

I think I will print this article/law and take with me when we visit in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing.

The law of using the nice soft sandy part of the beach away from the water mark seems very clear to me.

I think I will print this article/law and take with me when we visit in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing.

Laws aside, there is the practical question of where you would want to be. If you want facilities, then it makes sense to go to one of the areas set up for that (e.g., Royal Palms, Hemingway's, Calico Jack's). At most of those areas and hotels, their chairs are set up covering most of the nice sandy area, so you really won't have space to put down a towel, and it's pretty crowded anyway. If you don't want facilities, but want a lovely, fairly empty beach, I would go to Governor's Beach. It's just north of the Westin. There are 2 picnic tables and a small number of trees that give you a little shade for some of the day.

• 1 month later...