Airline Recommendation for Anchorage & Vancouver

bugsbunny222

We will be flying into Anchorage and out of Vancouver in June. Right now it looks like Alaska Airlines and Delta have the best schedules for us and prices seem to be about the same. All things being equal, which would be my better option? I don't have experience with either airline. I typically fly Southwest. Thank you!

Becky

We find some cruise lines that offer air options often have lower flexible rates than fixed rates for flight dates far out as yours. It enables us to avail of price drops up to 45 days before flight date. We book the flexible rate after comparing it with airline rates when we already feel the time to book. Maybe you can also check with your cruise line as an addition to your choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never flown Alaska but have a round trip with them coming up so I'll have a better frame of reference then. I've flown quite a bit with Delta and have a favorable opinion of them. One thing I've noticed with Delta is I'm often able to fly first class for very little more. I flew into Vancouver and out of Seattle for a cruise last year with them and then did a round trip to Anchorage a few months ago - both from Dallas. I think the Vancover/Seattle trip cost less than $175 more when I factored in the check bag fee for two bags. Two bags are free in first class plus they can weigh up to 75 pounds each vs 50 pounds when traveling in coach. That 25 pounds can make a difference if you like to buy a lot of STUFF to bring home or take a lot of STUFF with you. I always check the difference between coach and first class - I've priced Alaska Air and their difference is greater for the trips I've taken.

We are doing the opposite direction in June (into Vancouver and out of Anchorage) and for us the price difference between Alaska Air and Delta was huge. It was over a grand cheaper for us to fly first class on Delta vs. economy on Alaska. But if you have no price difference for your itinerary, I think I would just go with the more convenient flight times and layover times.

Where are you flying from/to?

You might also look at Alaska's Visa credit card deal in which you get 30,000 or so frequent flyer miles on signup (and Alaska's is one of the best FF programs going) and also get an annual companion certificate. One person pays the normal price and the second pays $99 plus taxes (usually $121) for the same itinerary. If the going price for your ticket is, say, $450, then the total price for two would be $571, or $286 per person.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/credit-card/visa-signature

We're also on the bandwagon of 'Alaska Good, Delta Bad' (and every airline review program seems to share that opinion!!!) but we've also occasionally found that a Delta flight was just so much cheaper than alternatives we sucked it up. Fortunately many Delta flights out of Vancouver are actually on WestJet metal - with a markedly improved experience in our experience, especially in the onboard staff.

Other things I look at -

Which airports are the connections in? (Likelihood of weather delays, ease of getting between flights, comfort (or at least least lack of comfort) in the airport)

Avoiding very short small plane hops because they seem more likely to get delayed (e.g. if weather has not shut down an airport but has reduced airport capacity, they will hold up the shorter small plane flights because they are still on the ground or because it is easier to deal with rerouting 20 passengers than 200.

I've had good experiences in general with Alaska and haven't flown Delta in ages (For my home airport, Alaska and Southwest have the best coverage for going up and down the Pacific coast United and their Star Alliance partners tend to have better coverage)

I just booked our flights today for our August 2018 trip. We are using Delta. We have nonstop flights both ways from Mpls/St. Paul to Vancouver, and then from Anchorage back to MSP. I have been watching the prices for the last 6 weeks or so and they are inching upwards for the same nonstop flights. I had to take into account the flight times so we don't have to leave home at 4 am and/or take a red eye flight home. Plus we are 6 people, and 3 of them are kids. Nonstop just makes more sense for us, even if it cost about $100 more per ticket.