Terrible behaviour on a recent RCI 2 niter

Just back from a 2 night cruise on the Radiance.

The ship is fantastic, the crew brilliant but boy, was I wrong with my expectations re the passengers on this cruise.

Here I was expecting a quiet 2 days at sea and what did I get - 2 days at the local club on a grand final night. The were so many noisy, completely disregarding of others groups on that cruise. The safety drill was an absolute shambles. As the drinks were not allowed during the drill there were hundreds of beers and glasses lined up on the stairway floor. People were completely ignoring the drill to the point where the crew commented afterwards that they have never experienced anything like this.

Main dining room dinner attire rules - what rules? Tongs, stubbies and singlets. Noise level - off the scale.

I guess one should have known - a 2 niter is a different thing altogether.

we did a 3 nighter Sydney to Melbourne on Carnival spirit earlier in the year, and gladly there were no such problems, everyone was well behaved and no bogans to speak of. There was a mixed crowd of families, older people and a few younger.

Maybe its luck of the draw sometimes

My experience is that they generally attract a "party" crowd. Doesn't stop me enjoying myself though..I have booked another one..and I am generally tucked up in bed before the crowd really gets going. First night is the worst after that they are generally too hung over to be a problem.:D

Sue

The ship is fantastic, the crew brilliant but boy, was I wrong with my expectations re the passengers on this cruise.

Here I was expecting a quiet 2 days at sea and what did I get - 2 days at the local club on a grand final night. The were so many noisy, completely disregarding of others groups on that cruise. The safety drill was an absolute shambles. As the drinks were not allowed during the drill there were hundreds of beers and glasses lined up on the stairway floor. People were completely ignoring the drill to the point where the crew commented afterwards that they have never experienced anything like this.

Main dining room dinner attire rules - what rules? Tongs, stubbies and singlets. Noise level - off the scale.

Were they End of Season Footballers or just wannabees acting like foolish uncontrollable children ?

Does little for the Australian image either. One can only imagine the perception of Australians by the international crew. It is time the cruiselines stopped these short cruises. It is obvious RCI is not complying with 'responsible service of alcohol policy,' serving these bogans alcohol until they fall over. All about making $.

I was on Radiance OTS for the 17 night cruise prior to this 2 nighter.

The crew were expecting it to be a "booze cruise".

Some international guests were staying onboard and then doing the subsequent 10 or 11 night Qld cruise. Not a great image of Australia to share with them!

Some (wiser) b2b passengers were spending 2 days ashore exploring Sydney before rejoining the ship.

It sounds like nothing has changed...:rolleyes:

I can remember back when I was a child in school...(its not that long ago)... when the original Oriana used to do cruises to nowhere during our summer months , after she had brought the ten pound poms out from Britain. I well recall my parents tut tutting about the dreadful behavior on board and how the crowd had drunk the ship dry.

The cruise lines will never stop the short cruises...just look at Princess in California at the moment , as they are very profitable for them.....not just in alcohol sales but also because only being 2 days , they can charge a much much higher price per day , and people are falling over themselves to get on board and they pay up like lambs. Its easy pickings for the cruise lines.

It's unfortunate that some elements of Australian society behave like this. I don't believe it's a failing of all Australians.

In my sons' generation, Kiwis who go abroad and plan to misbehave say they will "just pretend we're Australians" if they are challenged about their bahavioiur.

It's not a good thing and does Australia's reputation no good - a bit like the reputation that English soccer fans/hooligans have gained when they go to Europe.

All I can say is "welcome to Australia" Unfortunately and even more bizarre there are people here that are proud of what you describe and have no shame in defending it on these boards.

With prices low and Australia's generously high wages these people are even finding their way onto regular cruises and dragging them down. Just last year I was on a 31 night cruise where the cruise director and staff had to make announcements daily about the "dress code" after 6pm. Sadly it was aimed at the Australians who thought they could dress as you described on a P&O world cruise.

Does little for the Australian image either. One can only imagine the perception of Australians by the international crew. It is time the cruiselines stopped these short cruises. It is obvious RCI is not complying with 'responsible service of alcohol policy,' serving these bogans alcohol until they fall over. All about making $.

And then people are so drunk that they fall overboard. The medical centre would be flat out as well.

RCI will get a bad reputation if they don't comply with 'responsible service of alcohol policy' and then they will have the media to deal with when problems arise.

Sounds like they are very focused on the $. What sort of mess would the staff have to clean up?

Maybe, as being discussed at the moment, Australia should put the "drinking age" back to 21. That, as well as the lack of discipline resullting from the 'children have rights' decisions by the government some years back, seems to have led to a plethora of people who have no consideration or compassion for others. Their idea of a good time seems to be a competition to see who can drink the most, and view life through a drunken haze. :rolleyes: DH and I are not wowsers and like to have a drink or two, but we never did go out just to get drunk in our young days.

Fortunately, we usually meet lovely people in EVERY age group on our cruises and haven't come across any really bad behaviour. No, not even on our P&O cruises! :D (Maybe because we don't frequent the bars and nightclubs??? :rolleyes:)

We have just hopped off a 2 nighter on the Dawn Princess - albeit the first leg of a 35 nighter - but there was absolutely no probs and thoroughly enjoyable - we did a similar timed 2 nighter last year on the Sun Princess and again no probs! Maybe where the ship actually goes from one port to another might make a little difference.......

maybe they need more security to control the drunks, maybe they should put a stop on their cards but then they can get their friends to buy them booze

give me a smoker any day as they dont hurt anyone only themselves

We also just got off this cruise and had absolutely no problems and saw nothing major. Nothing more than you would on any other cruise. I know there were a few Hens and Bucks groups onboard, but there was no fighting and nothing out of the ordinary as far as we were concerned. Yes, there were drunk people, but they weren't behaving badly. Mind you, we were in bed by midnight so maybe it was after that?

We got an amazing price for our cruise and were upgraded from O/V to Balcony so we weren't complaining.

Our safety drill was a little unruly, but I have had far worse on much longer cruises. And as far as the crew expecting a booze up, they weren't wrong but they also encouraged it!

The only real issue with noise we had was when we were on the balcony at night, the noise was pretty bad. The dining room was noisy but again, no more than what I have had on any other RCI or HAL cruise we have been on.

We expected it to be a drunk, rowdy mob, so I guess we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as we thought. No way did we expect 2 nights of quiet! I guess it all depends on what your expectations are before getting on the cruise, or atleast what you hope you will get out of it.

A 2 or 3 nighter departing and arriving same port will always be a big drawcard for the booze cruise mob.....doesn't just happen here....Australians aren't regarded as saints or held that high in esteem worldwide so no damage done as far as i can see....

Never ever go on a 2 or 3 nighter. They are just booze cruises for Bogans and are not cheap cruises. Unfortunately the unsuspecting few who genuinely want to experience the ship get a bad impression.

It's unfortunate that some elements of Australian society behave like this. I don't believe it's a failing of all Australians.

yes we stay away from the short cruises ( seems to be more bogans on the shorter cruises:rolleyes:)

We have just hopped off a 2 nighter on the Dawn Princess - albeit the first leg of a 35 nighter - but there was absolutely no probs and thoroughly enjoyable - we did a similar timed 2 nighter last year on the Sun Princess and again no probs! Maybe where the ship actually goes from one port to another might make a little difference.......

These are dedicated 2 night cruises, where everyone on board is getting off again in 2 days.

With yours, it's probably only around 10% of passengers who are getting off in a couple of days. The majority have paid more, are staying longer, so it's a different focus. And as you say, yours also goes to another port, so it's more of a hassle and cost organising transport at one end, so a bit less encouragement.

I did this cruise for the previous 2 years but not this year.

I see nothing has changed LOL Did you all get mooned in the atrium by someone going up in the glass lifts butt naked during the atrium festivities? :p

I'd also like to point out a vast majority of the cruisers on these 2 nighters are actually travel agents checking it out................say no more!

I've done quite a few 3 nighters and never experienced anything like it on those.

I did this cruise for the previous 2 years but not this year.

I see nothing has changed LOL Did you all get mooned in the atrium by someone going up in the glass lifts butt naked during the atrium festivities? :p

I'd also like to point out a vast majority of the cruisers on these 2 nighters are actually travel agents checking it out................say no more!

I've done quite a few 3 nighters and never experienced anything like it on those.

Welcome back Debsta, we have missed you ! You have been AWOL from CC for a few months.

Yes a lot of T/A's do those 2 and 3 nighters 'Go Sees.' One would think the cruise line would try and run an orderly ship with industry people around. The cruise lines sell more grog to the Australian cruise market then anywhere else in the world, hence the motivation for the lines to send the ships to this region.

With prices low and Australia's generously high wages these people are even finding their way onto regular cruises and dragging them down.

Suth... sorry I mean KarateMan, the correct term is Cashed up Bogans.

Elaine.

We're doing a 5 nighter on the Radiance next month - leaving and returning to Sydney with stops in Newcastle and Brisbane. We just booked it for a lovely few days away, but after reading this I'm wondering if this would be the same...:eek: Anyone have any experience of the 5 nighters? RCI ran the same cruise on the Radiance in Feb this year...

Well they must be doing something right and providing a much needed service. If you read their corporate page you will see that thanks to these "cashed up bogans" they doubled the dividend to shareholders this year.Pretty good going in the Global Financial Crisis.:D

Archived