Norwegian Star- 6 Day Intinerary from Venice- Disembarkation Help!

EPrem

Hello All-

We are taking a 6 day cruise out of Venice, Italy and will be arriving back to Venice (from Split, Croatia) on July 22nd. The itinerary states that we dock in Venice at 8 am. However, I know from cruising experience that the ships often arrive well before the stated itinerary time.

Has anyone taken this (or substantially similar) cruise who can tell me a) what time the boat actually arrived, and 2) the earliest people were able to disembark?

We are heading to Switzerland after the cruise and our most ideal train route leaves Venice around 8:30 and I need to know if we can make this.

Thank you in advance!

Hello All-

We are taking a 6 day cruise out of Venice, Italy and will be arriving back to Venice (from Split, Croatia) on July 22nd. The itinerary states that we dock in Venice at 8 am. However, I know from cruising experience that the ships often arrive well before the stated itinerary time.

Has anyone taken this (or substantially similar) cruise who can tell me a) what time the boat actually arrived, and 2) the earliest people were able to disembark?

We are heading to Switzerland after the cruise and our most ideal train route leaves Venice around 8:30 and I need to know if we can make this.

Thank you in advance!

They arrive much earlier so that they can get a head start on unloading and loading. This process takes quite a bit of time.

As for disembarking if your i tin. says 8 am it will be 8 am. If your in a hurry you can do the walk off with your luggage make sure you get in the line for walk off early.

Hello All-

Thank you in advance!

There is no way I would book that train unless I had a flexible ticket that let me take any train of the day. Even if everything went perfectly and you were allowed to leave early there is still a little transit time to and through the train station. And if things don't go perfectly you have zero chance. When we arrived back in Venice (granted in October) we hit fog and nobody was able to disembark until the afternoon.

Hello All-

Thank you in advance!

We are on the same sailing as you if you are leaving on July 22, 2018 on the Star, but ours is a seven day cruise. It leaves on a Sunday and comes back the next Sunday the 29th. So I hope that you are talking about disembarking on the Sunday.

I have never sailed from Venice so the situation may be different, but an 8:30 reservation for a train may be pushing it, just taking into consideration transportation to the train station it may take a little time just to get a cab. If you do try to make this train I hope it works out for you. You may want to talk with guest services as soon as you can when you board to see if you can be the very first ones off the ship.

We are cruising on the Star this summer also out of Venice, taking a train afterwards. From reading the Ports of Call boards, walking off with luggage is not an option for cruises in Venice. If you are going out of Santa Lucia, there is the People Mover and a bridge to navigate walking to get to the station. If you go out of Mestre, the cab ride is supposed to be about 15-20 minutes. I was considering a 9am train and decided there was no way to make it after reading numerous threads over on the port board, so we’re leaving from Mestre at 11. I’d recommend checking out the threads over there - there are a couple regular and knowledgeable posters who can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay a night... you're on vacation... and well... it's Italy... you know...

Check yourself into the Gritti Palace or Cipriani; eat at Antica Osteria Cera and travel the next day.

Or... Hilton Molina Stucky and eat/drink at Harry's and save some $.

Trust me ;)

I did the Star last year. You will not get off earlier than 8 am and they do not permit you to walk off with your big bags, they had to be left outside your cabin the last night. It was the QUICKEST I ever got off a ship, but I don't think there is any chance you make the train at 8:30... things do move slower in Italy. It took us at least a half hour to get tour our hotel which is near the train station and there was a van and boat involved. I also recommend staying the night in Venice. It is an incredible place and you won't be disappointed. We have stayed twice at http://www.lapalazzinaveneziana.it/ Just a short walk and one bridge to the train station and on the canal. We actually came in a previous time from Zurich by train to Venice... beautiful scenery through the Alps.

Thanks all- I guess we will take the longer route that leaves out of Venice around 9:45. I am VERY much looking forward to the views on the train.

Dodge9- We are staying in Venice for two nights prior to the cruise. Very excited- second time to Italy, but first time to Venice.

Thanks all- I guess we will take the longer route that leaves out of Venice around 9:45. I am VERY much looking forward to the views on the train.

Dodge9- We are staying in Venice for two nights prior to the cruise. Very excited- second time to Italy, but first time to Venice.

You are going to love Venice... my advice... get a day pass for the water buses and just "go places" hopping around... and WALK; just walk places, Venice has a new surprise around every corner.

Oh... and EAT! ...and although it's pricey... sit down in the afternoon and drink a glass of wine in St Marks Square... and soak it in.

I am in fact making myself jealous! :cool::cool::cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Very interested in this thread.

Wife and I are first time cruisers and will be on the Norwegian Star out of Venice September 9 and returning September 16.

We've booked 4 nights in Venice prior to the cruise and staying not far from the cruise terminal and also Santa Lucia station.

After the cruise we need a train to Lake Como and looking at a 1050am departure from Santa Lucia... hopefully that will be plenty of time.

Other posters have said about getting from the cruise terminal to Santa Lucia by car and boat. I am hoping walking is an option as it is only 1.5km.

Colin and Dominique

Very interested in this thread.

Wife and I are first time cruisers and will be on the Norwegian Star out of Venice September 9 and returning September 16.

We've booked 4 nights in Venice prior to the cruise and staying not far from the cruise terminal and also Santa Lucia station.

After the cruise we need a train to Lake Como and looking at a 1050am departure from Santa Lucia... hopefully that will be plenty of time.

Other posters have said about getting from the cruise terminal to Santa Lucia by car and boat. I am hoping walking is an option as it is only 1.5km.

Colin and Dominique

It is very easy to get to the train station from the cruise port. Walk to the people mover, which is like the monorail at Disney. It will stop at P. Roma. From there you have to cross the grand canal using the big stone bridge with glass steps and then is a short walk along the canal to the trains station. I found Europe for Visitors very helpful for planning our travels around Venice.

It is very easy to get to the train station from the cruise port. Walk to the people mover, which is like the monorail at Disney. It will stop at P. Roma. From there you have to cross the grand canal using the big stone bridge with glass steps and then is a short walk along the canal to the trains station. I found Europe for Visitors very helpful for planning our travels around Venice.

Thank you, will check out "Europe for Visitors" :)

It is easier and quicker to take a cab to Mestre to catch the train (this will give you about 12 mins grace) than to go to St Lucia (longer time to get there and lots of walking, and no 12 mins grace).

Pretty much all trains stop in Mestre when going into and out of St. Lucia.

We bought tickets to travel from St. Lucia, but decided to go to Mestre to catch the train after we saw how we'd get to St. Lucia from ship and we ain't spring chickens!

Yes, it's easy for fit people, but not when you have big luggage to lug.

Yes, it's easy for fit people, but not when you have big luggage to lug.

We are cruising from Venice in September. We just booked an 11:30 train from the Mestre Train Station to Rome. I’ve read it’s a 15-20 minute taxi ride. We plan to have Zip Transfers meet us when we disembark.

We are cruising from Venice in September. We just booked an 11:30 train from the Mestre Train Station to Rome. I’ve read it’s a 15-20 minute taxi ride. We plan to have Zip Transfers meet us when we disembark.

What we did when we disembarked the ship in Venice (at approx. 9am) we just grabbed one of the plentiful taxis outside the terminal (btw, the disembarkation was so easy there) and asked to take us to Mestre. Fixed fare.

Our train was after 11am and we got there too early. I tried to change to an earlier train to Milan but they respectfully said no because we bought a cheapo saver ticket. Luckily there is a café at Mestre station serving excellent morning coffee (all varieties) and lovely pastries - it was fun sitting at tables and people (locals) watching - busy café but we amused ourselves watching the staff working in a very busy café. We had 2 rounds of coffee and pastries!

If you have flex tickets you might be able to change, but if not, enjoy your time in the café!

I'd drank too much the night before (or it might have been the too rare prime rib dinner the night before) and I wasn't feeling too rosy and of course I didn't fancy going to St. Lucia with luggage, so taking the taxi straight to Mestre was a godsend!

Funnily enough, the train from Milan to Venice (when we arrived at start of vacation) was on a flexi ticket, and not an early saver, and when we arrived in Milan soooo early I was able to change to an earlier train and we arrived in Venice earlier than expected! AND while I remembered, I was able to change it from the day before to the day as we had hurricane Fay hitting Bermuda that caused our flights to be delayed by one day! Trenitalia was great in changing our tickets as were AA!!! I emailed Trenitalia a couple of days in advance (when we learnt the flights were postponed) and asked to change and they did!

Edited by bluesea777

Thanks Bluesea777 for the info. Glad to hear that embarking is easy since I’ve read you can’t self disembark in Venice. Is there anywhere in Mestre to buy food for the train beside the cafe with pastries? What about buying food on the train? We don’t mind getting to Mestre early rather than missing our train and waiting 2 hours for the next one.

How was the cruise??

Thanks Bluesea777 for the info. Glad to hear that embarking is easy since I’ve read you can’t self disembark in Venice. Is there anywhere in Mestre to buy food for the train beside the cafe with pastries? What about buying food on the train? We don’t mind getting to Mestre early rather than missing our train and waiting 2 hours for the next one.

How was the cruise??

I remembered - yes the café offered lunch items to go. And bottled water and drinks.

The cruise (7 day Greek Isles - in Oct 2014) was great, and it was on the Jade.

Hello All-

Thank you in advance!

It’s not just disembarking but customs, no way you are making that train. I,ve read reviews that customs taking a long time.

It’s not just disembarking but customs, no way you are making that train. I,ve read reviews that customs taking a long time.

What train time are you referring to?

Thanks