Star drydock - what is planned?

NCTribeFan

I'm on the Star TA on 4/22, my first NCL cruise. I only discovered yesterday that she's going into drydock after we arrive in Barcelona. And then I read through the entire Sun thread about the major work that's being done while she's on a PC cruise.

I have to say, it has me concerned. I sailed on the inaugural Carnival Vista sailing and the "new ship smells" caused major sinus and breathing problems (I have occasional asthma).

As a solo cruiser, and since I'm doing this cruise as the first leg of a TA B2B paired with Horizon, I'm booked in inside cabins, so it isn't easy to escape fumes if you don't have a balcony and much of the outside decks are closed off for repairs/renovations.

I'm hoping Star isn't due for the major work that Sun is undergoing. Can anyone provide details on what sort of renovations she's going to receive?

My husband and I will be on the Star for the upcoming TA as well. While we are fairly laid back and very forgiving about reasonable maintenance and disruptions, I am beginning to feel concerned after reading the thread regarding the Sun's cruise disruptions. We were actually on the Sun a couple of years ago in South America and couldn't help but notice the large number of workers and work done on the ship during the cruise ahead of a dry dock. The thought of being at sea for multiple days if there is significant construction work going on is not what we had in mind for a long awaited vacation.

Will follow and await any information folks have about plans for the Star.

I'm on the Star TA on 4/22, my first NCL cruise. I only discovered yesterday that she's going into drydock after we arrive in Barcelona. And then I read through the entire Sun thread about the major work that's being done while she's on a PC cruise.

I have to say, it has me concerned. I sailed on the inaugural Carnival Vista sailing and the "new ship smells" caused major sinus and breathing problems (I have occasional asthma).

As a solo cruiser, and since I'm doing this cruise as the first leg of a TA B2B paired with Horizon, I'm booked in inside cabins, so it isn't easy to escape fumes if you don't have a balcony and much of the outside decks are closed off for repairs/renovations.

I'm hoping Star isn't due for the major work that Sun is undergoing. Can anyone provide details on what sort of renovations she's going to receive?

do a mock booking for a cruise after the dry dock it will give you some idea. Does it currently have a large public space forward Deck 12? It's becoming cabins. I would call your PCC or TA to discuss your concerns, I don't think I would want to be on the cruise.

I'm also on this cruise and i'm concerned as well.

Lois

There is a large observation lounge (Spinnaker?) on the Star although it is not shown on the list lounges. (Hmmm...). We have been looking forward to hanging out in the lounge as we usually do and this was a factor in our booking this cruise. I am hoping this lounge doesn't turn into a construction zone during this cruise. The number of quiet public spaces are somewhat limited.

do a mock booking for a cruise after the dry dock it will give you some idea. Does it currently have a large public space forward Deck 12? It's becoming cabins. I would call your PCC or TA to discuss your concerns, I don't think I would want to be on the cruise.

There is a large observation lounge (Spinnaker?) on the Star although it is not shown on the list lounges. (Hmmm...). We have been looking forward to hanging out in the lounge as we usually do and this was a factor in our booking this cruise. I am hoping this lounge doesn't turn into a construction zone during this cruise. The number of quiet public spaces are somewhat limited.

I don't think there is a forward observation lounge on the Star. There was a Spinnaker several years ago but it was converted into suites like the dawn a few years back.

I just got off of the Star this morning and stayed in one of the suites on deck 12 that previously was the observation lounge. The Spinnaker Lounge is now deck 7 aft and there not one on deck 12.

Good to hear there is still a Spinnaker Lounge! Whew!

I just got off of the Star this morning and stayed in one of the suites on deck 12 that previously was the observation lounge. The Spinnaker Lounge is now deck 7 aft and there not one on deck 12.

I would check with my TA but he's in Barcelona, boarding Horizon tomorrow for her inaugural sailing.

Nothing I can do about it now. Can't cancel. Just hoping that the drydock will only involve things that won't require the ship being semi-dismantled during our TA!

And that the fumes (and noise) won't be too disruptive. It's always tough when there's bad weather and everyone has to retreat indoors. I'm just thinking that if there's major work being done in the pool area, that.will force people inside.

I just don't really have time to research this since I'm a CPA and am already suffering from severe Brain Fog.

Quick search this morning and the only thing I found was one website that shows she had "extensive updates to public areas and staterooms" in 2015 but is due for "general" this time, whatever that means.

Hoping it means they won't be starting too much while we're at sea!

I'm wondering about this. I'll be on the TA late this month, too. I did see the next cruise is scheduled for May 24, so it is only a 2.5 week dry dock.

Also, I was on the Liberty of the Sea (RCCL) for a repositioning cruise, just before it went into dry dock, and the conditions were not too bad. Workers around, but they didn't interfere too much with the guest experience. I just have my fingers crossed for the same thing this time...

There is still a Spinnaker Lounge on the Star and the Dawn, but it is now just a dark hole with no windows. It is NOT an observation lounge anymore. It is merely a room (with no windows) where activities, Bingo, etc. takes place. Sad....but true :(

:(:(I don't spend much time hanging around the pool(s) but given we have 6 sea days to start, some lounging-around time would be nice.

As noted, I'm a CPA and I'm so going to need some rest and Vitamin D!

Having decks out-of-service also tends to force more people indoors, which just makes for overcrowded and even louder-than-usual spaces.

Sure wish they'd taken my upgrade bid to a balcony. I actually really like my nice, dark inside cabins, but this is one time that I would've considered spending the money had I realized what we may encounter.

Like I said, nothing I can do about it now, but I've really been hoping I'd love NCL since I'm pretty burned out with Carnival and I'm not a huge fan of RCI. I like HAL and want to try X, but was kind of thinking NCL might be my new favorite. That may still turn out to be the case.

Keeping fingers crossed! :D

Some more info from my PCC.

Norwegian Star Drydock:

The following changes will occur to the F&B operation during the Star dry dock scheduled from May 6 – May 24, 2018:

• Spinnaker Lounge refurbished and re-branded to Bliss Lounge
  • Java Café re-branded to Atrium Café & Bar
    • Note – bar is removed. Beverages will be services from 5 o’Clock bar. Repurpose two mobile tablets

[*]Bier Garten refurbished and re-branded to Sky High

[*]Removal of Hot Rock concept from the Asian complex

[*]Addition of a second Teppanyaki table

[*]Le Bistro and La Cucina to swap locations

[*]Kid's Aqua Park removed to become Spice H2O.

[*]Juice bar removed from fitness center.

Norwegian Star Drydock:

The following changes will occur to the F&B operation during the Star dry dock scheduled from May 6 – May 24, 2018:

• Note – bar is removed. Beverages will be services from 5 o’Clock bar. Repurpose two mobile tablets

nothing about the window suites on deck 12???? so hoped the windows would be fixed and the dreadful "crushed velvet" sofas replaced!

Norwegian Star Drydock:

Hmm. Interesting.

One of the baristas at Java Cafe said they were going to be a Starbucks, so apparently the LaVazza brand is gone.

Not sure how I feel about Spice H20 going in. I have teenagers, so I didn't see how used the area was, but the main hot tubs and poor were already full of kids, so that might be a good addition - especially if they add more hot tubs.

A second teppanyaki table is a great addition. Ginza fell very flat the one night we went there, but the teppanyaki grill was fabulous.

I think the spinnaker lounge has been a missing data point for awhile, It has always been on Deck 7 aft, but doesn't show up on the public lists. Being a Bingo fan, it would be a terrible cruise to have the SL closed!

Thank you, BostonGal.

That list doesn't mention the pool deck replacement.

I'm hoping that IF they begin work while we're sailing, that they'll wait until we reach Europe and do work during the day when most people are off the ship.

Is there any point in writing to anyone at NCL and asking whether they'll begin work during our sailing? I'd love to have "evidence" that there's no cause for concern. Just in case it turns out that there was plenty of cause for concern!