Terminal ill and cruising

fun!melis

I have a fatal illness. It is very rare and no cure.

My family have really been through some tough times with me. I have my good days in which I really see the good in everything. Then I have my days either I'm having a pity party for myself or its so bad I don't want to open my eyes.. Depression also..

I know this cruise is for my birthday and yes I was told by accident that I will be having my room decorated and a cake to the MDR But Its my family I'm wanting to be spoiled a little...

I see them see me if that makes sense and it hurts more than anything. My husband Has a very stressful job and most of the time comes home and has to deal with all I cant deal with. My heart breaks to see my family go through such stuff with me.

My cruise is June 23,2012 Sailing the Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston South Carolina. I could give a room # but not on open post.. its my first balcony and its a Grand Suite.. I hope I'm able to enjoy it! I have two boys who are 14 and 9 going on 10. This was also there Christmas present to go on a cruise My youngest been on a cruise before and my oldest this is his first. Last time he wanted to visit family up north....funny thing is He now seen what he missed out on and is not doing that again...lol

I don't even know what John could possibly do or anyone for that matter.. I would love to have a window seat at dinner and or something for my boys or the hubby. My boys and husband is what this post was for..Just to show someone is seeing there efforts. They see some scary stuff...

I had a post here and it was to thank people who care for sick or ill loved ones because they go unrecognized a ton of the time..IT was a shout out...but also to see if I could get help in having this read...The more the better.. I wanted those with compassion and understanding to feel what families go through not just the sick...But to see what the sick see in there caregivers both the good and the sad... we don't do the face book stuff and really my family is so busy that I'm kinda not sure.. Cruise Critic is my getaway so to speak.

oh not sure if anything can be done but..We are traveling the night before because I'm worried to drive 5 hours the day of the cruise and a accident or traffic gets us stopped and we miss the ship so.... my hotel I got the snooze and cruise package and they said I still need to pay for transportation for my boys....grrrrrrr 18 dollars a person! Wow Wonder if anyone has a pick up service of some sort that's better for us to get to the ship?

If you want to ask about anything or say something feel free to :)

Your generosity in recognizing and thanking caregivers is heartwarming. I hope that you and your family will make many memories during your upcoming cruise.

When is your birthday? I see that you will be on your cruise on mine (June 24).

I have never sailed out of Charleston, but I have found that taxis are always cheaper than the shuttle service ---- but not knowing your whole situation, maybe the shuttle is more convenient, I don't know. My husband travels with oxygen and a scooter and we usually just park at the port in Ft. Lauderdale, as I said - I don't know the situation at Charleston.

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope you enjoy your birthday cruise.

Thank you..... My birthday is the day of the cruise:D the day before yours;) June 23..

The package for the hotel came with a two person shuttle ticket. Then the other 2 are $18 each. If I got "taken" its already paid for... :o

Everyday thats a good day is a memory because Thats how a person like me views it.

:D Im grateful that you enjoyed reading and thank you for posting.

Your generosity in recognizing and thanking caregivers is heartwarming. I hope that you and your family will make many memories during your upcoming cruise.

When is your birthday? I see that you will be on your cruise on mine (June 24).

I have never sailed out of Charleston, but I have found that taxis are always cheaper than the shuttle service ---- but not knowing your whole situation, maybe the shuttle is more convenient, I don't know. My husband travels with oxygen and a scooter and we usually just park at the port in Ft. Lauderdale, as I said - I don't know the situation at Charleston.

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope you enjoy your birthday cruise.

Actually, $18 per person is pretty cheap, all things considered with the cost of gas and all that. You could try a taxi, but if there are any delays, that meter keeps running and can add up to a lot of money. I had that happen once in Ft Lauderdale before a cruise. We took the taxi from the airport, and the cost is always under $20, but we were caught in a very long line at the security checkpoint (some truck driver was caught with a gun) and the wait was very long, to the point that our cab fare was over $75, just because the meter keeps going no matter what.

You might also check with any shuttle service, like SuperShuttle. See what they would charge to transport the entire family.

God Bless

Good to know thats cheap...:D

That makes me feel better for sure. It was a thought to come down before because I don't want to miss the Cruise cause of traffic and such so the day before get there and I think from what I heard and saw of the pictures the hotel is nice and the kids can swim weather permitting.:p

So We shall see. Then the next day hope the shuttle starts early cause I will be up and at it Then!!!;)

Actually, $18 per person is pretty cheap, all things considered with the cost of gas and all that. You could try a taxi, but if there are any delays, that meter keeps running and can add up to a lot of money. I had that happen once in Ft Lauderdale before a cruise. We took the taxi from the airport, and the cost is always under $20, but we were caught in a very long line at the security checkpoint (some truck driver was caught with a gun) and the wait was very long, to the point that our cab fare was over $75, just because the meter keeps going no matter what.

You might also check with any shuttle service, like SuperShuttle. See what they would charge to transport the entire family.

God Bless

We sailed on the Fantasy over Easter with our grandchildren. We stayed in Summerville (just outside of Charleston), SC and did some touring and then went to the cruise terminal. If you have a handicapped tag you park for free. The parking is in an enclosed area and we felt perfectly safe leaving the car there. I hope you have as much fun as we did.

Can I ask what is a Maitre'D?:o I guess a "High up"

when you get onboard, speak to the Maitre'D. he/she may be able to get you a nice table by a window. have a great cruise and make lots of memories.

Can I ask what is a Maitre'D?:o I guess a "High up"

The Maitre'D is in charge of the dinning room staff. There also may be a Head Waiter. The day that you board the ship go to the dinning room and ask? Someone will help you. Have a wonderful cruise.

I could of googled it but thank you for the information and not having me feel dumb.:o:)

I hope this can be done having a window would be cool for the boys:D

The Maitre'D is in charge of the dinning room staff. There also may be a Head Waiter. The day that you board the ship go to the dinning room and ask? Someone will help you. Have a wonderful cruise.

Usually it is dark, or almost dark by the time you get to dinner, so a window seat is really not worth it then. If there is breakfast and/or lunch served in the dining room, go there then and ask for a window seat, they will do their best to accommodate you.

Usually it is dark, or almost dark by the time you get to dinner, so a window seat is really not worth it then. If there is breakfast and/or lunch served in the dining room, go there then and ask for a window seat, they will do their best to accommodate you.

Mid June out of Charleston will be a time when it doesn't get dark until almost 9:00 p.m. So, early seating would be entirely in daylight.

Fun!melis, thank you for sharing your story with us and for you compassion toward your family. As one who's been a caretaker, I am especially appreciative.

I see you're in NC. I live near Asheville (for another 5 weeks at least) and went out of Charleston on the Fantasy a year ago. Like you, I drove down the day before and was glad I did, because I didn't have to worry about making it on time. I also booked a hotel with a shuttle service, and it was so much easier than a taxi or parking in the garage at the port.

Many blessings on your birthday and on the special time with your family.

I have Early dinning!!!!!!! whoohooo hope I get a window seat..

Im so glad at least a few are feeling good knowing that for them being a caretaker is sometimes not noticed and I wanted to say you all ROCK;)!

My Husband and my two boys are so good to me at taking care of me when the going gets tuff so to speak..I know I have the best care when they are around.

Mid June out of Charleston will be a time when it doesn't get dark until almost 9:00 p.m. So, early seating would be entirely in daylight.

Fun!melis, thank you for sharing your story with us and for you compassion toward your family. As one who's been a caretaker, I am especially appreciative.

I see you're in NC. I live near Asheville (for another 5 weeks at least) and went out of Charleston on the Fantasy a year ago. Like you, I drove down the day before and was glad I did, because I didn't have to worry about making it on time. I also booked a hotel with a shuttle service, and it was so much easier than a taxi or parking in the garage at the port.

Many blessings on your birthday and on the special time with your family.

I have been a caregiver to both my special needs boys for 22 years now. I also am glad to know that people appreciate what I do every day, especially since they can't tell me that in words, but by their hugs and kisses, I know. Sometimes it is hard but is is great when some total stranger walks up to me and tells me what I great mom I am and how great my "kids" are. This has happened to me more than once on both of our cruises and really makes my day. Thank you for posting your thoughts and our prayers are with you as you take this journey. May this cruise be the best vacation you have ever had!

Again this is why I posted THANKS and hugs to you!

I have been a caregiver to both my special needs boys for 22 years now. I also am glad to know that people appreciate what I do every day, especially since they can't tell me that in words, but by their hugs and kisses, I know. Sometimes it is hard but is is great when some total stranger walks up to me and tells me what I great mom I am and how great my "kids" are. This has happened to me more than once on both of our cruises and really makes my day. Thank you for posting your thoughts and our prayers are with you as you take this journey. May this cruise be the best vacation you have ever had!

Have you emailed John or commented on his blog? You and your family are definitely worth some special treatment! I just started reading John's blog recently and he does seem to reply favorably to most requests, and most of them aren't nearly as worthy/special as yours.

If you get a chance to do a bit of sightseeing in Charleston, it is a beautiful city. The architecture is spectacular.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, and a wonderful birthday!

Thank you!!! No did not...but wow thanks

Have you emailed John or commented on his blog? You and your family are definitely worth some special treatment! I just started reading John's blog recently and he does seem to reply favorably to most requests, and most of them aren't nearly as worthy/special as yours.

If you get a chance to do a bit of sightseeing in Charleston, it is a beautiful city. The architecture is spectacular.

Been ill for the past few days so my response was not good.. I do not have Face book so I did not.. and I think thats how you get to his page.

We are leaving early to site see Charleston the day before.. so Im excited about that.~~

~~*A few have asked about what I have..... not sure anyone needs to know but its called bechet's syndrome.. in my case my blood vessels expand so much they rupture. Its extremely painful and hard to take some days. I bleed from every area. I then need transfusions.. Some days my head hurts so bad that even the highest pain meds do not touch it. Then it causes ulcers in every mucus membrane so sometimes the roof of my mouth is peeling completely off to the point even water hurts. My joints swell to the max and are painful sometimes. My immune system is very weak but that's when I have a outbreak. It can go into remission but it comes back.. There is no cure yet known and its a blood-lined illness. That is the basics there is more but if you would like you can look it up.~~*

You're right, it's really none of our business what your illness is, but thank you for sharing. I really admire your positive attitude AND your attitude toward everything your family does for you.

In addition to Facebook, John Heald also has a blog, johnhealdsblog(dot)com. You can write him through that. One way is to click on "Ask John" in the upper right of the screen. Then you have to pick a category from a drop-down menu...there is one for "private: won't be published" if you want to use that.

You can also leave comments on individual blog posts; the comments are moderated but I'm not sure who does the moderating so John might not see that.

Good luck!

Just telling you the time you have spent in just responding and adding Im GRATEFUL!:)

I will try those but not sure it will get through so to speak.. I think it would be so cool to see some "small effort"<~~ like posting this and maybe others who have been "mail carriers" So to speak.. show my family what they mean to me... I dont like to see them feel the way they do when I am hurting but I do have good days...and some weeks so hopefully it will be my week of the cruise!;) My kids always sing me the you are my sunshine song....Always gets me to smile no matter how I feel:o

You're right, it's really none of our business what your illness is, but thank you for sharing. I really admire your positive attitude AND your attitude toward everything your family does for you.

In addition to Facebook, John Heald also has a blog, johnhealdsblog(dot)com. You can write him through that. One way is to click on "Ask John" in the upper right of the screen. Then you have to pick a category from a drop-down menu...there is one for "private: won't be published" if you want to use that.

You can also leave comments on individual blog posts; the comments are moderated but I'm not sure who does the moderating so John might not see that.

Good luck!

Just telling you the time you have spent in just responding and adding Im GRATEFUL!

Aw, shucks. *Blushes*. Happy to try to help. I did look at John's FB page and you can't personal message him and IDK whether he has time to read the hundreds of comments people post there. And with the way Facebook is tanking in the stock market, who knows how much longer it will be around, haha. So the blog may be your best bet. Good luck contacting John!

And I hope you have a wonderful cruise and feel well the entire time. Cruises are soooo relaxing. :)

I don't even go to facebook either so it was a done deal then. Im wishing that the first post and some others can relay the message for me. closer to the date of the cruise.. :D

Aw, shucks. *Blushes*. Happy to try to help. I did look at John's FB page and you can't personal message him and IDK whether he has time to read the hundreds of comments people post there. And with the way Facebook is tanking in the stock market, who knows how much longer it will be around, haha. So the blog may be your best bet. Good luck contacting John!

And I hope you have a wonderful cruise and feel well the entire time. Cruises are soooo relaxing. :)

I wrote on Johns blog thingie.. I sent it through the ask John and used the drop down menu and said other.. Not sure it will get to him..I should of waited but closer I could do it again...

Anyone helpin out there?:D

Archived