Northern lights and Husky Sled excursions

mynyddisamrs

Can anyone let me know the likely cost of a P&O excursion in either Tromso or Alta to see the Northern Lights?

Also for a Husky Dog Sled Experience...but one with a Musher guided sled.

I'm trying to compare Privately booked trips with P&go on both price and the actual experience....

Any thoughts folks?

We did the excursion on the first night in Alta and it was too cloudy and we saw nothing.... then had the most fantastic display from the ship in the port the next night . It really is impossible to predict - the lights are very elusive.

If you want to do a Northern Lights trip and also a Dog Sled experience I would recommend doing them both in Alta.

We were on Aurora last November (2017)and we had two days in Alta and one day in Tromso.

Lots of interesting things to do in Tromso to keep you occupied but there is little to do in Alta so better to do your trips from there. You will still have time to explore the town on your own.

P&O 'in search of the northern lights.' £135.00

P&O 'Alta husky adventure' £194.00

However, I would recommend booking private tours as we did.

The first evening we did Glod explorer's 'Hunting the northern lights' 1,500 NOK £136.00

Took us to fantastic remote location by a frozen lake (no light pollution) where we experienced a breathtaking light show.

The second afternoon we did Holmen Husky's 'Dog sledding or carting if there is not sufficient snow along the Alta river 1,450 NOK £132.00

Again a fantastic experience, you get to drive your own sled if you want and the ride is longer and the whole experience is better than P&O's offering.

You will have a fantastic time.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by P-L-B

We did the Northern Lights as a private tour - just 8 of us taken up to a slate mine in the mountains - actually cost slightly more that P&O (£5 more) if I recall. I arranged it by getting folk together on the roll call and booking direct with Pasketuen (probably spelt that wrongly.

The whole experience was great as there were no crowds and we got picked up at the port and dropped off back at the ship. We also got sent a photo of us after the tour of us with the lights in the background,

Well worth getting away from the light pollution.

Can anyone let me know the likely cost of a P&O excursion in either Tromso or Alta to see the Northern Lights?

Also for a Husky Dog Sled Experience...but one with a Musher guided sled.

I'm trying to compare Privately booked trips with P&go on both price and the actual experience....

Any thoughts folks?

Hello,

Next month, March 2018, the P&O adult prices are:

Tromso Husky Sledding £174

Alta Husky Adventure £189

Alta Northern Lights £135

Regards,

Cublet

The Thomson dog excursion was very poor last March. Strongly recommend trying the Alta one, but you must do it. The dogs are so friendly. Wear something that you don’t mind if it gets very muddy.

We spent around £150 pp on a lights trip. Saw nothing. But next night had a truly spectacular display from the deck outside the mdr. They say they see lights on 90% of excursions. And our trip would be in that. But we were there looking from 8-midnight and the lights appeared for 5 minutes at 2 in the morning when nearly everyone had gone. I think it’s a lot of money when, as I say, we had an amazing experience from Oriana the next night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did some research before our cruise last November and came to the conclusion that the private trips from Alta were getting the more positive reviews.

If you really want to do a trip from Tromso, although we didn't do it I believe the Whale sightseeing trip could be worth looking at.

Regarding Alta, I can recommend Holmen Husky for the sledd and dog experience and Glod explorer for their "Hunting The Northen Lights" experience.

Check them out online, they are both very professional and get very good reviews.

P&O use both of these companies for their trips but in my opinion and from what others have said you get a more personal and better experience by doing them privately.