Seabourn Newbies - Sojourn and Alaska-specific Questions

CD&KD

My husband & I will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary on the 14-day Alaska cruise (Seabourn Sojourn), departing August17, 2018. We’re new to Seabourn, and I’ve scoured the Seabourn website and this forum looking for answers to my questions. Everyone has been so helpful, but I do have a few questions that remain. I apologize in advance if I've missed answers to these; in some cases I've found conflicting answers so I'm looking for the most current info.

Related to Packing:

1. Are the cabin outlets US or European or both? How many per V5 suite? (I’m wondering if I need to pack adapters and/or a power strip.)
  2. How good are the hair dryers (powerful or gutless)? Are diffuser & concentrator attachments included?
  3. Is the vanity mirror a magnifying mirror? Is there adequate light for putting on makeup?
  4. Is there a retractable clothesline at the tub? (I believe I saw one in a suite video I watched.)
  5. Can I request a coffee maker (Nespresso or Keurig) for in our V5 suite? If so, how?
  6. As I’m often cold, I’m happy to wear a long gown on formal nights. But it sounds like long gowns are becoming less & less popular. Will I be over-dressed in a long gown?
  7. On elegant-casualnights, I would typically choose to wear a cocktail dress. But because of the cold, I may instead pack along black skirt (or black slacks) to pair with nice tops. Will I be dressed too casually in such attirefor the Restaurant? (I understand thatthis attire is allowed; I’m really looking for input on whether I’ll be out ofplace.)

Related to Excursions:

1. Are there any “must do” excursions? (We are both pretty fit.)
  2. Where are the best places to kayak? Will the kayaks get us a close to, say, Dawes Glacier as the zodiac would?
  3. Are there places where a zodiac is a better vehicle for sightseeing than a kayak?
  4. Can we just get off the ship and walk/explore on our own in most ports? Or are there ports where we will have nothing to do if we don’t book an excursion?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

If you like to wear long gowns then do. I do. I believe the "dress code" is so flexible that long, short, sparkly or plain is perfectly fine for the ladies and if your gentleman likes to wear a jacket every evening, then that is fine too. My DH wears a linen jacket every evening regardless of where we dine on board. (unless we eat in the cabin!!!) J

Here are answers to some of your questions:

1. Are the cabin outlets US or European or both? How many per V5 suite? (I’m wondering if I need to pack adapters and/or a power strip.). Both types of outlets are available. We bring a charging “hub” so we can charge multiple electric devices simultaneously, but not a power strip.
  2. How good are the hair dryers (powerful or gutless)? Are diffuser & concentrator attachments included? The hair dryers are decent, but not salon quality. Sometimes the concentrator attachment has gone missing. Ask your stewardess to track on down if there isn’t a concentrator in your suite. I’ve never seen diffusers in the suites.
  3. Is the vanity mirror a magnifying mirror? Is there adequate light for putting on makeup? No — the vanity mirror isn’t magnified. I bring a small magnifying mirror that attaches to the vanity mirror via suction cups. The light in the vanity is good.

4. Is there a retractable clothesline at the tub? (I believe I saw one in a suite video I watched.) yes.
  5. Can I request a coffee maker (Nespresso or Keurig) for in our V5 suite? If so, how? Not to my knowledge. I would love it if they were available.

There is a small (maybe 6 by 8 inch?) magnified mirror on a stand in the bathroom. The first day I usually move it to the vanity shelf in the hallway. That way I don’t have to pack a magnifying mirror.

As to the hairdryer I have long thick hair and while the hairdryer is not powerful it gets the job done. On occasional it has gotten so hot it shuts off before I am done drying and styling and I have had to wait for it to cool down to start up again. But at least it is not that horrible type of dryer that requires you to keep a fingers constantly pressed on the on button.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find the (frighteningly) good mirror in the bathroom more than adequate for eye makeup etc. And it can be moved.

We leave the bathroom light on at night, with the door nearly closed, and it helps to dry the undies on the line!

Few long dresses are seen - there would be more at Christmas/New Year, for instance, and cocktail dresses or slightly eveningy tops with black trousers, perhaps velvet or silk for formals, are ideal IMO. Your top half is the bit most on view, especially at dinner. Just avoid blue denim after 6!

If you like to wear long gowns then do. I do. I believe the "dress code" is so flexible that long, short, sparkly or plain is perfectly fine for the ladies and if your gentleman likes to wear a jacket every evening, then that is fine too. My DH wears a linen jacket every evening regardless of where we dine on board. (unless we eat in the cabin!!!) J

Thank you! Sounds like I'm over-thinking this. I do think the guys have it easier. They pack a suit and several dress shirts & ties; to dress down they leave off the tie and/or jacket!

Here are answers to some of your questions:

1. Are the cabin outlets US or European or both? How many per V5 suite? (I’m wondering if I need to pack adapters and/or a power strip.). Both types of outlets are available. We bring a charging “hub” so we can charge multiple electric devices simultaneously, but not a power strip.
  2. How good are the hair dryers (powerful or gutless)? Are diffuser & concentrator attachments included? The hair dryers are decent, but not salon quality. Sometimes the concentrator attachment has gone missing. Ask your stewardess to track on down if there isn’t a concentrator in your suite. I’ve never seen diffusers in the suites.
  3. Is the vanity mirror a magnifying mirror? Is there adequate light for putting on makeup? No — the vanity mirror isn’t magnified. I bring a small magnifying mirror that attaches to the vanity mirror via suction cups. The light in the vanity is good.

4. Is there a retractable clothesline at the tub? (I believe I saw one in a suite video I watched.) yes.
  5. Can I request a coffee maker (Nespresso or Keurig) for in our V5 suite? If so, how? Not to my knowledge. I would love it if they were available.

Thx! Between warm clothes & outdoor/cold gear, I'm trying to not pack stuff unnecessarily (like a power strip, hair dryer, and magnifying mirror).

Sounds like the stewardess (or steward?) is a great resource. I may see if they can scrounge me up a coffee maker. I think I read somewhere that the higher-end suites have them. If that works, I'll let you know. Maybe if people start asking, they'll get the message!

There is a small (maybe 6 by 8 inch?) magnified mirror on a stand in the bathroom. The first day I usually move it to the vanity shelf in the hallway. That way I don’t have to pack a magnifying mirror.

As to the hairdryer I have long thick hair and while the hairdryer is not powerful it gets the job done. On occasional it has gotten so hot it shuts off before I am done drying and styling and I have had to wait for it to cool down to start up again. But at least it is not that horrible type of dryer that requires you to keep a fingers constantly pressed on the on button.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very good! Great idea to move the mirror!

So I'm responding to all of these answers, thinking maybe that's not according to "Cruise Critic" protocol. Wish I could just "like" a response to let responders know I got it & appreciate the input ...

I find the (frighteningly) good mirror in the bathroom more than adequate for eye makeup etc. And it can be moved.

We leave the bathroom light on at night, with the door nearly closed, and it helps to dry the undies on the line!

Few long dresses are seen - there would be more at Christmas/New Year, for instance, and cocktail dresses or slightly eveningy tops with black trousers, perhaps velvet or silk for formals, are ideal IMO. Your top half is the bit most on view, especially at dinner. Just avoid blue denim after 6!

"Frighteningly good mirror" - :'):'):'):')I so understand!

Definitely plan to do some laundry in the room. (We managed a 23-day France & Italy trip a few years ago with only carry-on baggage and did plenty of washing in the sink. Not doing just carry-ons this trip!!!)

In the Sojourn I found 3 110 outlets. 1 in the bathroom, 1 by the vanity mirror and 1 on the cabinet the TV is in. Each side of the bed had two USB ports.

That will work! Thx.