Craft beer on Carnival Dream?

BHMF 109

We sailed on the Dream July 19th they had Abita and Purple Haze. Also they had the Carnival Red Frog Beer. (seems like the taps were always broken or they didn't have a keg). I wouldn't consider any of these beers to be "craft".

We sailed on the Dream July 19th they had Abita and Purple Haze. Also they had the Carnival Red Frog Beer. (seems like the taps were always broken or they didn't have a keg). I wouldn't consider any of these beers to be "craft".

Abita is considered craft by most definitions. They are a regional craft brewery by the Brewer's Association definition. Then again so are Yuengling and Sam Adams and they produce nearly 50x as much beer.

You're spot on with Red Frog though. It's produced by InBev at one of their Budweiser plants. Definitely not a craft beer but it's one of the better beers they produce.

Abita is considered craft by most definitions. They are a regional craft brewery by the Brewer's Association definition. Then again so are Yuengling and Sam Adams and they produce nearly 50x as much beer.

You're spot on with Red Frog though. It's produced by InBev at one of their Budweiser plants. Definitely not a craft beer but it's one of the better beers they produce.

true that. I don;t normally drink Bud (I'm a terrible snob lol) but ya make do. I love draft beer and that was it. I had plenty of Cigar City cans up on deck too.

true that. I don;t normally drink Bud (I'm a terrible snob lol) but ya make do. I love draft beer and that was it. I had plenty of Cigar City cans up on deck too.

I've never had anything from Cigar City but now that they are owned by Oskar Blues they are canning them in other states. They just received label approval last week to produce/sell cans in Texas from their Austin brewery.

I've never had anything from Cigar City but now that they are owned by Oskar Blues they are canning them in other states. They just received label approval last week to produce/sell cans in Texas from their Austin brewery.

Interesting - I like that they are getting around. I've never had anything from Oskar Blues but I just bought a 6-pack of Old Chubb the day before yesterday to give them a try. Haven't opened one yet but I'm hoping for good things lol.

Cigar City Jai Alai is one of my favorite IPAs and their Maduro is great. I'm glad they brew in Tampa because we can get a lot of things on tap at the better gastropubs that they don't sell in cans (as far as I've found). Florida very recently legalized growlers so I'm hoping to see a lot of good beers in fun sized bottles lol.

if only I could sneak a growler onto cruise ship...

I used to smuggle Dales Pale and Lil Yella Pils on board via the old Pepsi can box feint back when that was about the only craft stuff you could find in cans.

Now its more expensive that many others.

Off topic but where's a good place to go near downtown Orlando? I'll be at a convention at the Crowne plaza and was thinking about Redlight Redlight not wanting to get too far away as I'm there only one night. Looking at heading to either Tomoka or New Smyrna Brewery later on the trip.

I used to smuggle Dales Pale and Lil Yella Pils on board via the old Pepsi can box feint back when that was about the only craft stuff you could find in cans.

Now its more expensive that many others.

Off topic but where's a good place to go near downtown Orlando? I'll be at a convention at the Crowne plaza and was thinking about Redlight Redlight not wanting to get too far away as I'm there only one night. Looking at heading to either Tomoka or New Smyrna Brewery later on the trip.

I haven't been to Oblivion Taproom since the new owners took over but it was fantastic last time I was there. I hear the new guys kept the spirit of the place though and still have great food and a ton of craft beer on tap and more in bottles and cans. It's on HWY 50 (Colonial Drive) east of downtown. My kilting up group meets at Redlight on occasion - good beer but you gotta bring your own food.

Oblivion is another block or two past the street Redlight Redlight is on (coming from downtown).

They still have the awesome tater tots - I get mine with Old Bay and a few beers and go home happy. It looks like a dive both inside and out but good food and good beer are far more important to me than pretty polished brass and such.

http://obliviontaproom.com/index.html

Interesting - I like that they are getting around. I've never had anything from Oskar Blues but I just bought a 6-pack of Old Chubb the day before yesterday to give them a try. Haven't opened one yet but I'm hoping for good things lol.

8.6% ABV of goodness, I'm a hefeweizen fan but one of my sons turned me onto Old Chub, good stuff.

I haven't been to Oblivion Taproom since the new owners took over but it was fantastic last time I was there. I hear the new guys kept the spirit of the place though and still have great food and a ton of craft beer on tap and more in bottles and cans. It's on HWY 50 (Colonial Drive) east of downtown. My kilting up group meets at Redlight on occasion - good beer but you gotta bring your own food.

Oblivion is another block or two past the street Redlight Redlight is on (coming from downtown).

They still have the awesome tater tots - I get mine with Old Bay and a few beers and go home happy. It looks like a dive both inside and out but good food and good beer are far more important to me than pretty polished brass and such.

http://obliviontaproom.com/index.html

Thanks for that, will be in town for a conference and will try to get there.

Going on my first cruise in October (Dream @ NOLA) and it's the little things that have me worried. One of those little things is beer selection. While I'd definitely like to have a much broader range available it is certainly good to know that I'll be able to get my hands on some Abita Amber. Wish there was a better IPA available but the Amber will have to do.

Going on my first cruise in October (Dream @ NOLA) and it's the little things that have me worried. One of those little things is beer selection. While I'd definitely like to have a much broader range available it is certainly good to know that I'll be able to get my hands on some Abita Amber. Wish there was a better IPA available but the Amber will have to do.

I'm going October 9th, when are you going?

Man Galveston is getting ripped off! Shiner isn't a bad beer but St. Arnold and Karbach are right down the street and you can't find them in every bar between Texas and New York.

I don't think I've EVER seen those at a bar, admittedly the vase majority of bars I've been to have been in the D.C. area as well as Buffalo.

I don't think I've EVER seen those at a bar, admittedly the vase majority of bars I've been to have been in the D.C. area as well as Buffalo.

They are at bars in Texas. Regional craft beers is what they say, but Shiner is far from craft. Thankfully they have Tito's vodka! :D

I saw it in Rochester and at several restaurants in Binghamton a couple of weeks ago. I only visited Duff's in Buffalo and they didn't have Shiner.

• 2 months later...