Royal Caribbean gauge single travellers

mike2611

When Royal Caribbean announced that their Quantum Class ships would have some single cabins they received accolades from travellers and travel experts. Here was an opportunity for single travellers to book a cabin without paying the 100% supplement.

BUT WAIT

In what appears to be a continuation of the practice of charging a single traveler double, Royal Caribbean have priced these single cabins higher than you can book a double cabin even paying the 100% supplement.

I tried to book a single on a couple of cruises here is what I found:

I could book a standard 198sq ft balcony cabin at $4450, $4600 and $5240 at the double rate ( depending on location) and yet the 119sq ft single cabin priced out at $5940.... For a single traveller.

Try as I might I have been unable to get any reasonable explanation from anyone at RCL at least any that makes any sense.

So in effect they are forcing single travellers to book a standard double cabin and pay the 100% supplement and are either withholding single cabins or pricing the single cabin higher than you pay for a standard double.

Single travellers need to make Royal Caribbean aware that they are once again gauging the single traveller and make this move into a public relations disaster. Write to the President of Royal Caribbean and express your disgust... Only by making this an issue can we change the pricing.

• 1 month later...
When Royal Caribbean announced that their Quantum Class ships would have some single cabins they received accolades from travellers and travel experts. Here was an opportunity for single travellers to book a cabin without paying the 100% supplement.

BUT WAIT

In what appears to be a continuation of the practice of charging a single traveler double, Royal Caribbean have priced these single cabins higher than you can book a double cabin even paying the 100% supplement.

I could book a standard 198sq ft balcony cabin at $4450, $4600 and $5240 at the double rate ( depending on location) and yet the 119sq ft single cabin priced out at $5940.... For a single traveller.

Try as I might I have been unable to get any reasonable explanation from anyone at RCL at least any that makes any sense.

So in effect they are forcing single travellers to book a standard double cabin and pay the 100% supplement and are either withholding single cabins or pricing the single cabin higher than you pay for a standard double.

Single travellers need to make Royal Caribbean aware that they are once again gauging the single traveller and make this move into a public relations disaster. Write to the President of Royal Caribbean and express your disgust... Only by making this an issue can we change the pricing.

What a nightmare for the wallet...I have never cruised before and do not have a cruise buddy. Maybe I just wont cruise.

• 7 months later...

It doesn't have to be this bad. I sailed on Quantum in January 2015 (the inaugural season) on a 12 night Southern Caribbean Itinerary for $2459 in a SB cabin (Single Balcony 119sq ft). There are only 12 of these balcony cabins on board so book early and wait for price drops. Or book around final payment time when some cabins get thrown back into the pool.

Denise

• 2 months later...

While NCL is not quite that bad...they do price their "Studio" (inside single's) at a slight discount from a standard inside at single occupancy...

However, those cabins fill up fast, and when standard inside cabins do not, the price of the standard inside will often drop later on to less than the Studio's.

On my recent January cruise on the NCL Breakaway, I waited till the last minute (about 10 days out), and booked a guarantee inside for less than the Studio would have cost. And when I finally received my cabin assignment, I was delighted to see it was a nice midship balcony! Those booked in Studio's were not upgraded....(unless they paid for the upgrade)....

• 1 month later...

Didn`t know so far that RCCL had single cabins at all. Will check for their rates,maybe i can catch something interesting and so try out RCCL even as a solo cruiser.

I`m booked in a studio on the Epic in June and i checked the rates of all different cabin types several times throughout the last couple of weeks and the studio rate was always exact the same as if i booked a regular inside cabin with single occupancy.

Also checked the prices of the baltic cruises on the getaway this year and also same result.price for the studio almost exact the same as inside cabin with single occupancy.(ok,sometimes there was a difference of 50 EUR,but for me that is the same. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part I don't find so called single cabins a bargain at all. You're better off pricing regular cabins. A lot of times you come out ahead.

Roz

While NCL is not quite that bad...they do price their "Studio" (inside single's) at a slight discount from a standard inside at single occupancy...

However, those cabins fill up fast, and when standard inside cabins do not, the price of the standard inside will often drop later on to less than the Studio's.

On my recent January cruise on the NCL Breakaway, I waited till the last minute (about 10 days out), and booked a guarantee inside for less than the Studio would have cost. And when I finally received my cabin assignment, I was delighted to see it was a nice midship balcony! Those booked in Studio's were not upgraded....(unless they paid for the upgrade)....

I count not agree more with you. For me though its not "not quite that bad," its much better then that. I have found some amazing prices and some of them were not even last minute. But if a person can do last minute, the prices can be dirt chap. For me dirt cheap means balcony are 599 for a 7 day cruise, and 749 for a balcony for a 13 day cruise. Not including taxes and fees of course.

I highly suggest for everyone to check cruiseplum site. I check it every single day, as a good deal might be for just one day.

I can honestly say that if it weren't for NCL generous deals, I would seldom cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

As a longtime solo cruiser (about 35 solo cruises over the past 17 years), I would never book a cabin that's only 119 sq ft. Celebrity's doubles are all 170 sq ft +, and I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. And if I can get them at less than the price of a 119 ft "Single", so much the better!

What a rip-off!

BUT WAIT

In what appears to be a continuation of the practice of charging a single l.p.traveler double, Royal Caribbean have priced these single cabins higher than you can book a double cabin even paying the 100% supplement.

I just booked a solo balcony for 1200 on anthem of the seas for a 5 day Bermuda cruise 5.26.2018. I booked online.:)