Veendam - specialty restaurants vrs. MDR

jabrown40

We are booked for a cruise on Veendam in July. I’ve made reservations at both PG and Canaletto. I’ve been wondering about making a couple more, is the food much better compared to the MDR? It’s our first HAL cruise. On Celebrity, we were AQ, so our meals were in BLU. Our others were on NCL years ago, and we ate mainly in the specialties because the MDR food was pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked for a cruise on Veendam in July. I’ve made reservations at both PG and Canaletto. I’ve been wondering about making a couple more, is the food much better compared to the MDR? It’s our first HAL cruise. On Celebrity, we were AQ, so our meals were in BLU. Our others were on NCL years ago, and we ate mainly in the specialties because the MDR food was pretty bad.

Maybe you should have your first meal in the MDR and then follow with PG and Canaletto and then decide if you want to book more nights in the specialty restaurants? Everyone keeps saying here that food is a subjective thing. Everyone does have a different take on what is acceptable, enjoyable and seasoned right so I certainly can't speak for everyone.

I do eat in the dining room, I would not say the food is bad, for myself sometimes the temperature isn't hot enough. Each cruise we increase the number of nights in PG and this next 15 day cruise probably 1/2 the nights will be spent in there. I have really been happy with the food in PG (and definitely enjoy my food there more than my options in the MDR), but it is more then just the food, it is relaxed, quieter and the service is wonderful. However, it does take longer to eat there and sometimes I just want to be in and out, get to a show or do something else -- not making my meal the main event.

I can't compare BLU to PG, but if you are used to eating at specialty restaurants every night, the MDR will rarely compare on any line -- not just HAL. Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Epicureangirl
typo

Just off the Veendam and I cannot recommend more than one PG dinner myself. We leave our last few Pinnacle dining experiences on now several ships wondering just what the fuss is all about - menu is limited, presentation is indifferent and most of the items arrived cold, dry and/or tasteless. It simply is not worth the surcharge and we also got a noisy, busy table by the service area too.

We have always like late (8pm) fixed dining on HAL ships in the upper dining room -we like the newer fresher options on the main dining room menu, the relative serenity and speed of dining there at the same table with the same waiters who immediately know our preferences, after the first nights. We often mix and match smaller items from the extensive appetizer part of the menu and forego the entree course when we want to eat something lighter. This option might make it closer to the Blu spa dining choices.

Personally I would choose to go to the Pinnacle on the "gala" nights where dressing up for the PG's more intimate setting is nice and the PG menu at last is better in comparison to the rather dreary "gala" night main dining room offerings. Unless you want lobster with no surcharge - then stick with the main dining room on the night that is on the "gala" menu.

We did like the small portion filet (8oz?) and the mashed potatoes were very good, as always on HAL ships - the Dutch know and care a about their potatoes. But beyond those basics, we again left unimpressed by the PG execution of everything else.

We have been to dinner at the PG on multiple HAL ships, including the Veendam. For us, one dinner is enough. Our PG dinner experiences (again, on multiple ships), have been at best "OK" to "good", but certainly not good enough to dine there multiple times. Many on this board state they eat all of their dinners in the PG, which to me would get extremely repetitive. I prefer the variety in the MDR, and aside from an "off" dish every now and then, I think quality in the MDR is as good, if not better, than the PG. JMO.

Thank you, I know everyone says food is subjective, but I do appreciate advice. Our first and second night will be in the MDR, then PG, so I will be able to make the comparison. Our cruise is only 7 nights, so it would probably involve only one or two extra at that point.

Wow, those are some really sad reviews of the PG. I consider myself fortunate to have had such great experiences there in the past. Maybe I lucked out and had a good chef/server/seat location.

I am pretty fussy about food, and nothing from PG failed to please me despite the small menu. I read that one of the recent PG menu's also had a selection of entrees from the Tamarind (another paid for restaurant on the larger HAL ships), which made it more interesting. I hope they continue to please me, because it is often the MDR has missed the mark. I cut the MDR much more slack, because it is not easy to serve that many people and get every plate perfect and out while it's hot. When I pay the surcharge at PG, I do expect everything to come out perfectly and feel worth it.

When we noticed the dining room food going down hill a few years ago, we then increased our dining in the Pinnacle Grill (and the Tamarind on those ships that have this restaurant) from a few nights to all the time.

Lots of items to choose from.

We had only one bad meal there -- many years ago. Since then our meals have all been excellent and service was excellent. We always give a tip at the end of each meal as they are not included in the cost of the dinner -- some people don't tip -- to each his own.

Food is subjective.

We like the MDR . But we are not particularly fussy nor are we truly foodies. We like to eat don’t get me wrong but we’re not that adventurous.

We also like the PG. we’ve had great service, a little drawn out but dinner is our entertainment so we’re cool with that . Our meals have been excellent but again we’re not that fancy ..:)

Not yet tried Canaletto.

Looking forward to trying the Tamarind next month on the Eurodam.

I was going to say it could be the size of the ship and the location of the kitchen that makes a difference in the PG experience, but both on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the recent Veendam - (large and small) both were very poor. Is it the lateness of when we dine -is the kitchen drained out by our 8pm dining time? Nothing memorable about the Maasdam or Rotterdam either and that was just our PG attempts in 2017. However, on a 50 day Rotterdam cruise London-Malaysia-Singapore, the PG was excellent. So it can and has been wonderful. But that was now several years ago.

We did like Tamarind on the NA a lot, but will continue to choose the smaller ships as long as we can and use up our "free" PG for a meat and potatoes entree and stop bothering with anything else. Those PG mashed potatoes were almost worth the trip.

Was it really bad they totally missed giving me my special birthday cake after asking us to order dessert off the menu for our special occasion PG dinner? At least they offered to box it up after our diner when they presented it much too late to enjoy, and it was very delicious for the next few days after the rich fudgey icing hardened up a bit in the mini-fridge. That was very good; just again badly executed. I did not know it was coming, nor apparently did the staff. But someone in the back room must have discovered the over-sight - what the heck is this cake still hanging around here at closing time?

I disembarked the Veendam on Dec 8, 2017 and enjoyed my four PG meals, except the Brussels sprouts. As often stated, food is subjective. Service was not as fast as my one-hour MDR meals but PG food is cooked to order. My Canaletto meal was delicious, especially my favorite Zuppe de Pesci.

It must be noted that I booked the Veendam for Nov and will be dining in both the PG and Canaletto again.

When we noticed the dining room food going down hill a few years ago, we then increased our dining in the Pinnacle Grill (and the Tamarind on those ships that have this restaurant) from a few nights to all the time.

Lots of items to choose from.

We had only one bad meal there -- many years ago. Since then our meals have all been excellent and service was excellent. We always give a tip at the end of each meal as they are not included in the cost of the dinner -- some people don't tip -- to each his own.

Food is subjective.

I've found the choices enough for me too, I even go to PG for some lunches. I always tip there, I did know it wasn't included in the dinner but don't recall if I know that from the forums, or if it is in fine print on the PG menu (I will look next time).

I definitely agree the people have different tastes, and for some PG isn't adventurous enough as it isn't pushing the culinary envelope. However, there are standards for most dishes -- you should be able to count on a steak served medium-rare to be the same standard of doneness anywhere, soft-poached eggs being runny, fried foods being crispy (and not a soggy oil-laden mess), cold foods cold, hot foods hot, food being fresh (no brown lettuce leaves for instance) etc. PG has always met my expectations, and often exceeds it. If there was a such thing as a 'express service' option there, where I could just order an entree and be in and out in 45 minutes, I'd go there every night. On cruises where we bring our (teenage) daughter, she's not interested in sitting around for such a long meal. She likes good food, but would rather see a show or get to the movie theatre. But I have time to teach her my ways... ;)

I disembarked the Veendam on Dec 8, 2017 and enjoyed my four PG meals, except the Brussels sprouts. As often stated, food is subjective. Service was not as fast as my one-hour MDR meals but PG food is cooked to order. My Canaletto meal was delicious, especially my favorite Zuppe de Pesci.

It must be noted that I booked the Veendam for Nov and will be dining in both the PG and Canaletto again.

Maybe I should give Canaletto a try again, I had crossed them off my list after one meal there. Perhaps a little harsh of me. :o

I have to ask, do you just not generally like Brussels sprouts, or were they not done to your liking in PG? My mum used to cook them to death (the English way), and I hated them. I only started to love them in later life when prepared by restaurants, and now how I cook them.

I was going to say it could be the size of the ship and the location of the kitchen that makes a difference in the PG experience, but both on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the recent Veendam - (large and small) both were very poor. Is it the lateness of when we dine -is the kitchen drained out by our 8pm dining time? Nothing memorable about the Maasdam or Rotterdam either and that was just our PG attempts in 2017. However, on a 50 day Rotterdam cruise London-Malaysia-Singapore, the PG was excellent. So it can and has been wonderful. But that was now several years ago.

We did like Tamarind on the NA a lot, but will continue to choose the smaller ships as long as we can and use up our "free" PG for a meat and potatoes entree and stop bothering with anything else. Those PG mashed potatoes were almost worth the trip.

Was it really bad they totally missed giving me my special birthday cake after asking us to order dessert off the menu for our special occasion PG dinner? At least they offered to box it up after our diner when they presented it much too late to enjoy, and it was very delicious for the next few days after the rich fudgey icing hardened up a bit in the mini-fridge. That was very good; just again badly executed. I did not know it was coming, nor apparently did the staff. But someone in the back room must have discovered the over-sight - what the heck is this cake still hanging around here at closing time?

Sorry they missed giving you your birthday cake -- that's terrible. I do recall getting a cake for our anniversary once, and it was presented right at the end.

Their steaks and potatoes have never failed me yet. I'm glad you enjoyed yours. We are back to a smaller ship for our next cruise (Singapore-Hong Kong), so I sure hope the PG is the one I remember fondly.

Food temperature at time of delivery is not a matter of taste; it is a matter of appropriate presentation. Cold side dishes are cold, regardless of taste. "Sending them back" to be re-heated while everyone sits with their warm entree just did not seem to be a good option.

Or was it punishment for not having tipped PG in the past? Could be. Then it becomes a recurring exercise in PG entropy. Which would be too bad. Only point here is to warn others their PG experience may have some execution problems. Be prepared.

We like the MDR . But we are not particularly fussy nor are we truly foodies. We like to eat don’t get me wrong but we’re not that adventurous.

We also like the PG. we’ve had great service, a little drawn out but dinner is our entertainment so we’re cool with that . Our meals have been excellent but again we’re not that fancy ..:)

Not yet tried Canaletto.

Looking forward to trying the Tamarind next month on the Eurodam.

Yes, PG is "a little drawn out" ;), I like how you phrased that! Even if you don't consider yourself adventurous, you will probably find something on the Tamarind menu to enjoy. I'd say it has some Asian flavors, but I don't really consider it Asian food, and they never serve anything wobbly or with eyeballs. And it's kind of like going to PF Chang's, it can't be confused with eating in a restaurant in Hong Kong. :')

Food temperature at time of delivery is not a matter of taste; it is a matter of appropriate presentation. Cold side dishes are cold, regardless of taste. "Sending them back" to be re-heated while everyone sits with their warm entree just did not seem to be a good option.

Or was it punishment for not having tipped PG in the past? Could be. Then it becomes a recurring exercise in PG entropy. Which would be too bad. Only point here is to warn others their PG experience may have some execution problems. Be prepared.

I agree, I was kind of lumping together some expectations that people SHOULD be able to have of food regardless of if they like things with less spices, more sauce, San Marzano tomatoes... :)

I'm going to be really aware this time of how the PG measures up or fails this trip and will report back. But if it does go badly, I would cancel any other reservations -- I can buy a very nice land-based meal for the same price (I don't think there is a lot of value at PG's current pricing).

Maybe I should give Canaletto a try again, I had crossed them off my list after one meal there. Perhaps a little harsh of me. :o

I have to ask, do you just not generally like Brussels sprouts, or were they not done to your liking in PG? My mum used to cook them to death (the English way), and I hated them. I only started to love them in later life when prepared by restaurants, and now how I cook them.

My early experience with Canaletto were as yours but I gave it a try a few years ago an was impressed. I now stop at the Canaletto at least once each cruise.

I love Brussels sprouts, especially steamed. My roasted Brussels sprouts were a bit overcooked. The creamed spinach and roasted asparagus are my fave sides in the PG.

My early experience with Canaletto were as yours but I gave it a try a few years ago an was impressed. I now stop at the Canaletto at least once each cruise.

I love Brussels sprouts, especially steamed. My roasted Brussels sprouts were a bit overcooked. The creamed spinach and roasted asparagus are my fave sides in the PG.

I have had the Brussels and asparagus before, but the creamed spinach did not sound appealing. But now that you’ve recommended it, I will definitely try it!