Star Cruise on Ovation of the Seas (Jan 2018)

Hi all,

We recently returned home after taking a 9 night cruise on the Ovation out of Sydney to New Zealand and back. We stayed in a grand loft suite (which was wonderful) and were in the Star Class. The Ovation did not have Johnny Rockets or a Comedy Club.

We greatly enjoyed and used the room service benefit -- having room service from Coastal Kitchen each day for breakfast, many days lunch from Michael's Pub and dinner from Chops.

We found our Genie was not as proactive as we thought he would be -- but it turns out it was his last week on the ship so there was a lot going on for him. We learned to ask for afternoon snacks in our room and were pro-active about drinks and room service. He reserved the seats we wanted in any shows and went out of his way to be helpful.

Major disappointment were the sandwiches in two270, the sea scallops in Coastal Kitchen and the coffee anywhere which was basically 3 shots of expresso with hot water.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and getting on/off the ship was a breeze since we had the services of the genie. Even on the pier on the first day they had plenty of signs for the genie...made it very easy.

Our Genie, Josh is moving to the Harmony in March.

Any questions regarding Star Class or the ship I'm happy to answer.

Hi all,

We recently returned home after taking a 9 night cruise on the Ovation out of Sydney to New Zealand and back. We stayed in a grand loft suite (which was wonderful) and were in the Star Class. The Ovation did not have Johnny Rockets or a Comedy Club.

We greatly enjoyed and used the room service benefit -- having room service from Coastal Kitchen each day for breakfast, many days lunch from Michael's Pub and dinner from Chops.

We found our Genie was not as proactive as we thought he would be -- but it turns out it was his last week on the ship so there was a lot going on for him. We learned to ask for afternoon snacks in our room and were pro-active about drinks and room service. He reserved the seats we wanted in any shows and went out of his way to be helpful.

Major disappointment were the sandwiches in two270, the sea scallops in Coastal Kitchen and the coffee anywhere which was basically 3 shots of expresso with hot water.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and getting on/off the ship was a breeze since we had the services of the genie. Even on the pier on the first day they had plenty of signs for the genie...made it very easy.

Our Genie, Josh is moving to the Harmony in March.

Any questions regarding Star Class or the ship I'm happy to answer.

What is in the spot on the pool deck, Deck 14, aft, starboard, when you go through the doors from the Windjammer corridor?

Quantum class ships do not have a dedicated Comedy Club. That's not unique to the Ovation. Just FYI. :) Only Oasis class ships have this.

It was a mix crowd - a number of Aussies, some from Asia, and a few Americans...from what people said to me it didn't have as much of a Wow factor as Oasis but to us we thought it was pretty cool (mind you we haven't seen Oasis). Due to the level of service and the variety of food we liked it a lot better than Disney Dream.

Hi Spanky Cruise 1

I really appreciate your offer to ask questions.

We are taking our first cruise in November in a Grand Loft suite on Ovation out of Sydney in November. I have been stalking lots of threads and FB pages to gather information but I would love to know more about your experience, specifically the 'Star Class' side of things and any tips you can give me would really be appreciated.

I have also had trouble finding out information about the OPT in Sydney specifically boarding, is there a designated location I should be looking out for or do we just go with flow of everyone else.

Thanks again - I hope you had a wonderful trip! :D

Hi - I am happy to answer your questions. I spent a lot of time looking for answers prior to going on our cruise as well. So I totally understand.

A few days before your cruise (I believe it was 2) we received an email from our genie which had instructions for boarding and luggage tags (special VIP ones). We had already told our genie what time we planned to arrive in a prior email. When we arrived there was a person holding up a genie sign...(there was also a star class banner up by the entrance) when we then pushed our way through to that person who then took us to the front and we were checked in and walked right onto the ship without our luggage who we didn't give to anyone until we got to the front. People may try to take it but don't let them. We then met our genie on the entrance to the ship and went right to lunch.

A few things I learned about Star Class. Our genie did read our survey answers from the survey that RC sent out with the sort of silly questions, which surprised me. The loop is a website not an app that I used prior to the cruise to ask questions but never on the ship. We were not given a phone to call the genie on board but did have his number and could call anytime even though he did give hours he was on-duty...but they didn't seem to apply.

The services of the genie are for those only in the star class...that was made pretty clear on the first day when he went over our schedule and the program. We let him make all of our arrangements and then we modified throughout the week.

We tried not to be too bothersome to him ... we learned that he would check in around 11 am with us and then around dinner time...unless we contacted him. It would have been nice if he had told us that he would be doing that but we figured it out....

Ask away...

Sarah

Thanks so much Sarah for that information, I really appreciate it. There is such varied information about Star class it is hard to know what to expect and I would rather start the cruise with realistic expectations especially since this is our first cruise!

Two last questions and then I promise not to bother you :) You mentioned afternoon snacks in your cabin (we love cheese and charcuterie platters when on holiday was that something that could be organized to have in the room?) and if you wanted a glass of wine with it were you provided with a bottle or did you have to get your own glasses from the bar and bring them to the room?

Thanks again the information you have given me is awesome!

Cheers Rachel

Hi - No problem to answer questions. I know how it is to find information - difficult. I am sorry to say I don't know what charcuterie is...but we received cheese and crackers, small dessert snacks, fresh food. Basically anything that is served on the ship you can get. I even asked for a milkshake and even though they are not made on the ship, the genie got CK to make one for me. Regarding wine/liquor in your room. You can't have bottles of wine in the room (they did leave us one on the first day) but you can ask for anything and they will bring. I assume they would leave you glasses of wine. They left us shots of Jamison since they wouldn't leave the bottle.

The key is to tell the genie what you want...and if you don't want to bother them you can tell the room stewards or even the guy who delivers the drinks to your room. They all will bend over backwards to help.

On our first excursion day I never thought to ask for snacks for when we got back on the ship...(the lunch hours are short on the days at shore) so we didn't have anything in our room. From then on I made sure to tell him the night before....

It is no bother at all to answer any questions.

Sarah

I have heard that ovation now charges to use iFly, Flowrider and dodgems on Australian cruises. Is this true. We are cruising in Jan 19 so I am a little concerned.

There were charges to use these additional facilities on Ovation when she was sailing out of Asia. They haven't charged when she's been sailing out of Australia.

Thanks Spanky Cruise 1 your information has been a great help and saved me lots of time researching! I’m really looking forward to the trip! Not sure of everything I need to ask as it’s our first cruise but at least with your info we should make it on board without too much hassle !!! Thanks again!

No,after you go through the doors out to the pool deck on the CK side. First thing on your right after going through the doors.

The is a Rickshaw just before the door and then the Kung Fu Panda (Noodle Shop) is on the right and the Kiddie Pool on the left.

The Noodle Shop was nice for a light snack type lunch.

How many cabins is the genie responsible for? Do you think the Genie is overworked; why doesn't Royal list on its website how to contact the genie and info about special requests. thanks. It seems if people have the suites but don't get on cruise critic; they are somewhat in the dark about the special services offered