Sewage smell on Explorer

Liz315

We are booked on the Explorer soon in aft cabins 1694 & 1692 on deck 10. I am very worried about the horrible sewage smell on this ship that I keep reading about. Anyone have any sewage issues in or around these cabins? I would rather RCCL cancel the cruise rather than subject us to this disgusting situation. It has ruined vacations for some people on these boards and I don't want to put my family in the same situation, dealing with raw sewage and methayne gas fumes. Any info from people who have stayed in or around these rooms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We were on deck 10 both times we were on Explorer and never smelled anything. We did smell something once or twice in a couple of different locations, but honestly, it wasn't "horrible". It was just an odor and it wasn't all the time. I do think this issue has taken on a life of it's own and I think a few posters have exxagerated it for whatever reasons-they're dramatic people, they hope to get something out of it, they're overly sensitive, who knows...

We were on Explorer for the New Year's cruise, and only smelled sewerage briefly upon boarding. Once we got away from deck 1 and the open door, we smelled nothing anywhere on the ship.

I agree with the above poster that this issue has taken on a life of its own, and is greatly exaggerated. Dont worry too much. Explorer is a great ship and we had an awesome cruise.

My friend will be in your cabin next Friday and I will come back to report to you when we return. I was on the EOS in October and never smelled anything. I am hoping the the previous poster BND is exactly right with what they said. I have smelled things on all cruise ships. I am staying in the aft also. I am not an exaggerater and will return with a valid answer for you.

It seems the Explorer is in serious need of a waste disposal overhaul. I am having some very serious 'buyers remorse' about this cruise. We have cruised 8 times previously but this is our first with RCCL. I thought my teens would enjoy it but now I am reading posts about brown water coming out of faucets in some of the aft cabins (I believe it was on deck 10):eek::eek:. Add the sewer smells to that and all I can say 'Please RCCL return my payment and I will gladly step aside until you have your ship dry docked and repaired'. I would rather be disappointed by a cancellation than completely disgusted by a nasty ship and never want to sail with RCCL again.

We are booked on the Explorer soon in aft cabins 1694 & 1692 on deck 10. I am very worried about the horrible sewage smell on this ship that I keep reading about. Anyone have any sewage issues in or around these cabins? I would rather RCCL cancel the cruise rather than subject us to this disgusting situation. It has ruined vacations for some people on these boards and I don't want to put my family in the same situation, dealing with raw sewage and methayne gas fumes. Any info from people who have stayed in or around these rooms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was on Explorer this past week, 1653, never smelled the odor in my cabin or in the hallway outside the cabin. I did notice that smell on Deck 4, starboard, outside briefly. I have smelled that smell on every ship that I have sailed, at some point.

again...this has taken a life of it own...i have smelled "sewage" on every cruise on every line that i have sailed on, all briefly and at some point it goes away...please take this as opinion...evry one has an opinion and some push there's on evryone else...

...is greatly exaggerated. Dont worry too much. Explorer is a great ship and we had an awesome cruise.

Agreed; we have sailed Explorer twice and never smelled it for more than a few seconds and it certainly wasn't "everywhere" - just in one or two spots.

Explorer is a magnificent ship with amazing crew. I am so sad that she is getting such bad press because of this. :(

It seems the Explorer is in serious need of a waste disposal overhaul. I am having some very serious 'buyers remorse' about this cruise. We have cruised 8 times previously but this is our first with RCCL. I thought my teens would enjoy it but now I am reading posts about brown water coming out of faucets in some of the aft cabins (I believe it was on deck 10):eek::eek:. Add the sewer smells to that and all I can say 'Please RCCL return my payment and I will gladly step aside until you have your ship dry docked and repaired'. I would rather be disappointed by a cancellation than completely disgusted by a nasty ship and never want to sail with RCCL again.
There is nothing wrong with the Explorer. Just had dinner with friends that were recently on th explorer and they had a wonderful cruise and never had any issues, so relax and enjoy the Explorer....K.O. Near Philly:)

My friend will be in your cabin next Friday and I will come back to report to you when we return. I was on the EOS in October and never smelled anything. I am hoping the the previous poster BND is exactly right with what they said. I have smelled things on all cruise ships. I am staying in the aft also. I am not an exaggerater and will return with a valid answer for you.

Me too ;) (read your wonderful suggestion on our roll call, but just had to click on the thread anyway...sigh)

I'll be in 1690 on Friday's cruise and will report upon return. It appears to me more people haven't experience an outrageous odor problem than have. I am not going to let it concern me now, if there is an issue I'll address it at the time.

Explorer is a magnificent ship with amazing crew. I am so sad that she is getting such bad press because of this. :(

Well, look on the bright side... perhaps if enough of a stink (ha ha) is made about this, they'll correct the problem! I agree with your sentiment though, I had 2 great cruises on Explorer before these problems seemed to rear its ugly head.

again...this has taken a life of it own...i have smelled "sewage" on every cruise on every line that i have sailed on, all briefly and at some point it goes away...please take this as opinion...evry one has an opinion and some push there's on evryone else...

I agree MACFIN! Usually when the ship is sitting still or starting to leave port, depending on where you are on the ship, there is a slight sewage smell. I have sailed on 10 different RCCL ships (12 cruises) Including Explorer, Also with Celebrity & Carnival. All ships have this issue. Some people go in to a vacation looking for the reason it will be ruinned! My favorite is the "aerosoled fecal matter" I'm still laughing about that one!:rolleyes: My sugestion is if you have trepidation book a different area of the ship or a different ship entirely! Save yourself the drama!;)

I agree MACFIN! Usually when the ship is sitting still or starting to leave port, depending on where you are on the ship, there is a slight sewage smell. I have sailed on 10 different RCCL ships (12 cruises) Including Explorer, Also with Celebrity & Carnival. All ships have this issue. Some people go in to a vacation looking for the reason it will be ruinned! My favorite is the "aerosoled fecal matter" I'm still laughing about that one!:rolleyes: My sugestion is if you have trepidation book a different area of the ship or a different ship entirely! Save yourself the drama!;)

Let me start by saying I have been on the Explorer 5 times and loved each cruise. But our late Oct,2011 cruise fun was hampered by a horrible sewage, fortunately not in our room, but certainly in other areas off and on. I never go on a vacation looking for it to be ruined, but our last cruise had problems. Our CC M&M was scheduled our 1st full sea day in the Chamber. We arrived 15 minutes early, waited in the Schooner and within 5 minutes had to move. I had to leave the M&M because I was feeling sick from the odor. Our dance party on deck was alot smaller than past parties and I'm sure it was because of the odor on deck. And one day they had to close the bar in the solarium because everytime the kitchen area door opened the stench was incredible. We also had brown water come from our tap several times. Any and all complaints, questions, etc. were met with party line....."You're the 1st to complain or mention this"...."Really, there's an odor?", and on and on. I certainly didn't let it ruin everything for me, but then I didn't have a small child to worry about. Things happen and people get upset. To ridicule them for voicing their opinion is just mean. We're "loyal to royal", but I wish they would admit there's a problem and fix it. Just saying.........

• 3 weeks later...

I was in 1690 last week no smell whatsoever. Our toilet got clogged once, maintenance fixed it right away, but no smell. I only got a few brief whiffs of a sewage smell, the whole ten days and that was in the bathrooms on the pool deck. I found body odor aboard far more intrusive.

Archived