Mobile

They weren't getting enough money per cabin in order for them to make any money. The ships were sailing full...but they had to price the cabins much lower than they needed to in order to do it. This article has some info about it...

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/03/carnival_jumping_ship_from_mob.html

"The itineraries from Mobile require much higher relative fuel costs to operate and those fuel costs will become even more unfavorable with the implementation of the new (emission) requirements starting in 2012," Carnival Chief Executive Officer Gerry Cahill said in a written statement.

Cahill also said that while Mobile’s cruises were always full, Carnival had to offer below-average prices to book them.

"We have made every effort to drive higher demand and pricing through our sales and marketing initiatives and the deployment of a newer class of ship in 2009," he said. "However, we have not been successful in achieving a sustainable level of acceptable pricing."

According to Carnival's website, the company is charging $459 for an ocean-view room on a four-day cruise from Mobile in June. The same type room on a four-day cruise out of New Orleans costs $589.

Its unfortunate, as that terminal is only about an hour away from us in Pensacola FL. It would be a very convenient port to cruise out of for us.

Thank you for the informative article! I would be willing to pay more for a cruise and have the shorter drive to this port. It was only a 6 hour drive for us. I was hoping if Carnival would not utilize this port again that perhaps Royal Caribbean would move a ship there. I love Carnival but would go on another cruise line if there was a ship in Mobile.

Of course, what they didn't say was that the main reason they probably couldn't get top dollar for cruises out of Mobile was the ship. The Holiday wasn't exactly a new ship when she was there.

I would love to cruise out of Mobile again. It would be nice if they'd go back, even for just a few seasonal dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that would be great. Before we had a kid I didn't really care where we departed from as there were only 2 plane tickets to buy. Now with 3 tickets and the fact that airfare is more expensive anyway we've driven to port for our last 3 cruises. And for us that essentially means N.O or JAX. I'm not will to drive more than 7 or 8 hours.

I'd love to see someone back in Mobile. But with Galveston, New Orleans and now Houston I just don't think it will happen any time soon.

Of course, what they didn't say was that the main reason they probably couldn't get top dollar for cruises out of Mobile was the ship. The Holiday wasn't exactly a new ship when she was there.

I would love to cruise out of Mobile again. It would be nice if they'd go back, even for just a few seasonal dates.

They replaced Holiday with Elation in 2009 trying to get the fares up to where they needed to be before ultimately pulling the plug in 2012. Also...this apparently limits the ability for Carnival to put a big newer ship there...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/05/07/cruise-failure-leaves-mobile-with-looming-debt/

"Gurganus said the lack of a turning basin large enough to handle ships at least 900 feet long is hurting Mobile, even though the terminal is only several miles from the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The city still gets occasional visits from smaller cruise ships, she said."

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to go back...I just don't think it's going to happen.

Edited by academytim

What are the Chances...????

I think there are two, Slim and None at this point. (And Slim has moved to Texas as the old saying goes.)

There were many factors in them leaving Mobile. Cost per cabin was almost always lower from Mobile than NOLA. I much preferred sailing form Mobile myself.

Another is (as mentioned) the size of the turning basin just up from the terminal. Any ship larger than the prescribed size would have to either back into or out of the terminal about a mile or so... NOT going to happen on a regular basis. The Fantasy class ships with CCL are the largest that can dock there. (Fantasy, Elation, Ecstasy etc.)

Another factor is that NOLA has a contract with CCL and Mobile did not. Why? Who knows?! Mobile left it very easy for CCL to pull out with no penalty. And no incentive to stay. In NOLA they run the 4/5 day boat and a 7 day boat out of the same terminal and use the same personnel. Much cheaper for them Im sure than 2 terminals and sets of personnel.

Yes that would be great. Before we had a kid I didn't really care where we departed from as there were only 2 plane tickets to buy. Now with 3 tickets and the fact that airfare is more expensive anyway we've driven to port for our last 3 cruises. And for us that essentially means N.O or JAX. I'm not will to drive more than 7 or 8 hours.

I'd love to see someone back in Mobile. But with Galveston, New Orleans and now Houston I just don't think it will happen any time soon.

Princess and Norwegian are leaving the port at Houston. Maybe they will go to Mobile. :D

Carnival clams that fuel prices are high from Mobile but not NOLA ?

Air miles, NOLA to Cancun is 645 miles.

" " , Mobile to Cancun is 660 miles.

What am I missing here. :)

Yeah I'm confused also. It seems like it would take up more gas going through the mississippi river instead of the wide bay and open gulf very close to the mobile port.

Carnival clams that fuel prices are high from Mobile but not NOLA ?

Air miles, NOLA to Cancun is 645 miles.

" " , Mobile to Cancun is 660 miles.

What am I missing here. :)

You're missing that they didn't say that fuel prices aren't high from New Orleans. They are saying that the price per cabin from Mobile (459 at the time of the article) isn't enough for them to offset the high fuel costs while the price per cabin out of New Orleans (589 at the time of the article) was. They tried to market the port and put a newer ship in to bring the fares up but couldn't.

I think there are two, Slim and None at this point. (And Slim has moved to Texas as the old saying goes.)

There were many factors in them leaving Mobile. Cost per cabin was almost always lower from Mobile than NOLA. I much preferred sailing form Mobile myself.

Another is (as mentioned) the size of the turning basin just up from the terminal. Any ship larger than the prescribed size would have to either back into or out of the terminal about a mile or so... NOT going to happen on a regular basis. The Fantasy class ships with CCL are the largest that can dock there. (Fantasy, Elation, Ecstasy etc.)

Another factor is that NOLA has a contract with CCL and Mobile did not. Why? Who knows?! Mobile left it very easy for CCL to pull out with no penalty. And no incentive to stay. In NOLA they run the 4/5 day boat and a 7 day boat out of the same terminal and use the same personnel. Much cheaper for them Im sure than 2 terminals and sets of personnel.

Well, they got the Triumph in and out of there just fine when it had its issues and was towed to Mobile.

I did a quick search on Port of Mobile and it said it currently handles container vessels up to 965 ft.

Don't know of I'm going to be able to copy the link from my phone but this is certainly interesting. I hope it happens!

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/09/mayor_sandy_stimpson_hints_tha.html#incart_2box

If the link didn't work it's supposed to be to an article on http://www.al.com that hints at carnival coming back to mobile. Just go to the homepage it's pretty easy to spot.

They cannot blame fuel costs as all ships have to switch to low sulfur fuels at 200nm. Mobile is closer to Cozumel than Galveston is.

They put the Elation in that did not have true balconies nor did she get the Waterworks upgrades. Folks went to New Orleans or to Tampa that wanted balconies.

Looking forward to sailing from there again.

I wonder if Mobile's air transport situation is part of the issue. The issue has an impact on Norfolk and, I think, Houston.

It had an impact on me. I live in North Alabama, but never sailed out of Mobile, because I could fly from Birmingham to South Florida more cheaply than to Mobile. As long as that remains the case, I probably won't be cruising out of Mobile. It also depends on the ship. If I can cruise from South Florida, on a newer, larger ship, for slightly more, about the same, or less, than from Mobile, it's a no-brainer to me. If Carnival, Port Mobile, and the airlines that service Mobile, can work something out to give people a good ship, a fair cruise price, and reasonable air fare, then I think it would work long term.

May SLIM is tried of Texas and wants to move back!! May just be a rumor but have me excited about the possibility of CCL or another line to come to Mobile.