Wait Lists for Dining

resordanis

Hi All,

Hope someone can give some advice. We are currently wait listed at number 118 for 1st sitting Dining on our April cruise.

Can anyone shed some light what would be our chances of getting a table.at 6pm.?

It is important to us to have a table for 2 at first sitting. My DH has some health issues and 8.30pm is just not suitable. I would have him to medical by day 3. Also he has major hearing problems and a table for 2 is the only way for us, especially for 18 nights. I am certainly not going to eat in the Lido for 18nights.

I have spoken to our TA and she said wait, but I am tempted to cancel, it is that important to us.

We have never had a problem with our requests in the past.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Never had a problem as the Maitre d are so helpful in swapping so am sure you have no need to worry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I know they are helpful, but just a bit concerned that we are no. 118,they might not be able to assist.

Your voyage is far enough out but I guess the tables for 2 must disappear quickly.

I would suggest contacting Cunard directly with any special requests for accommodation such as this. Ultimately it is the company, not your travel agent, who is in a position to make this happen.

But as Darcie2 says above, once aboard it is the maître d'hôtel whom you should approach.

Your voyage is far enough out but I guess the tables for 2 must disappear quickly.

I would suggest contacting Cunard directly with any special requests for accommodation such as this. Ultimately it is the company, not your travel agent, who is in a position to make this happen.

But as Darcie2 says above, once aboard it is the maître d'hôtel whom you should approach.

Thank you I will email Cunard directly. Unfortunately this is a “make or break”with the voyage for us. It can make the difference between a good holiday and one spent with doctors.

Don’t rely on being able to make the change once onboard. If you have a later boarding time, then by the time you get on, you will have missed the opportunity to make a change. The maitre d is available in the dining room before a lot of people have even boarded. Boarding is done by deck number, the lower the deck number, the later you will board. The second point to be aware of is that changes onboard are also subject to what fare you paid for your cruise. Priority to change is given to those who book the earliest and who have paid the full CUNARD fare, rather than any of the saver fares. Thirdly tables for 2 on early sitting are the most sought after of any table request. Fourthly, medical reasons are what most people cite for needing to be on first sitting. It might help you if you had a letter from your doctor explaining the reasons that you must eat early and on a table for two, but I don’t know.

Don’t rely on being able to make the change once onboard. If you have a later boarding time, then by the time you get on, you will have missed the opportunity to make a change. The maitre d is available in the dining room before a lot of people have even boarded. Boarding is done by deck number, the lower the deck number, the later you will board. The second point to be aware of is that changes onboard are also subject to what fare you paid for your cruise. Priority to change is given to those who book the earliest and who have paid the full CUNARD fare, rather than any of the saver fares. Thirdly tables for 2 on early sitting are the most sought after of any table request. Fourthly, medical reasons are what most people cite for needing to be on first sitting. It might help you if you had a letter from your doctor explaining the reasons that you must eat early and on a table for two, but I don’t know.

Thank you for your information.

Edited by resordanis
spelling

We had a similar problem - we were sailing with our 2 year old, and late seating is after his bedtime. I called to explain the situation and we were cleared off the wait list for early dining table of 4 a few days later. We booked late, and paid full fare for 2 interior cabins (I don’t know if that matters but the above poster seems to know more about this than I do). It doesn’t hurt to call their main telephone number first, and if that doesn’t work call again and ask if there’s an email for special services. You should email them a note from your dr explaining the situation. Talking to the maitre d on the ship is also a very good option, but if you’d rather cancel if this can’t be resolved then I’d work on it now prior to sailing.

We had a similar problem - we were sailing with our 2 year old, and late seating is after his bedtime. I called to explain the situation and we were cleared off the wait list for early dining table of 4 a few days later. We booked late, and paid full fare for 2 interior cabins (I don’t know if that matters but the above poster seems to know more about this than I do). It doesn’t hurt to call their main telephone number first, and if that doesn’t work call again and ask if there’s an email for special services. You should email them a note from your dr explaining the situation. Talking to the maitre d on the ship is also a very good option, but if you’d rather cancel if this can’t be resolved then I’d work on it now prior to sailing.

You have given a very good explanation of the situation. For some,this might seem an issue, but for us it is important especially since my my husband until recently has also been unwell on a cruise or voyage. I normally do not book thru an Agent but did on this one. i cannot seem to find an email address to contact Cunard, so have given the Agent until Monday to rectify the problem otherwise we will cancel.

I do not see that I should have to obtain a doctors certificate to produce on the ship, as I have never encountered this problem before, and we are certainly not novice cruises.

There are many more cruises/voyages we can do. I do thank you for you excellent comments and advice.

We had a similar issue not too long ago. We called Cunard directly, the person we spoke to transferred us to a Supervisor and our problem was rectified. Our TA was not able to do anything. That's why we decided to handle it ourselves. Good luck.

Thecontact info is always on the company website.

https://www.cunard.com/contact-us/

I don't really understand why people book through travel agents, unless there is a hidden benefit I'm missing. Booking travel directly is typically less expensive and more reliable, albeit sometimesone has to do their own homework rather than paying a third party to do the most fundamental research for them.

Maybe somebody could enlighten me as to what value a travel agent actually offers in making straightforward bookings ...

Best of luck with your enquiries!

Resordanis

Here in the UK, we have a term "you get what you pay or". The Full Fare almost certainly gets your dining preference. The Early Saver then Saver Fares is more a case of getting what is left. I don't think you have said what type of fare you have purchased.

Why not pay and get what you want? It is slightly unfair to cite medical issues, to jump the wait list. I may incur the wrath of many others in posting g this, but you seem to have been on many cruises, so just put the cash (or credit down) and ensure you book what your are comfortable with! You will not then have all the lasting worry about dining issues, and the cruise is some time away. Have you thought about Britannia Club? Anytime dining guaranteed.

Resordanis

Here in the UK, we have a term "you get what you pay or". The Full Fare almost certainly gets your dining preference. The Early Saver then Saver Fares is more a case of getting what is left. I don't think you have said what type of fare you have purchased.

Why not pay and get what you want? It is slightly unfair to cite medical issues, to jump the wait list. I may incur the wrath of many others in posting g this, but you seem to have been on many cruises, so just put the cash (or credit down) and ensure you book what your are comfortable with! You will not then have all the lasting worry about dining issues, and the cruise is some time away. Have you thought about Britannia Club? Anytime dining guaranteed.

Thank you for your message. Here in Australia we have the one fare. No early saver or full fare,so we have put our cash in the right place. I have paid for a balcony and not the cheapest I might add. I have not considered Brittannia Club and will not. I will phone Cunard and see what they can do, otherwise cancel, there are plenty more (cruise lines) fish in the ocean.

Whilst I appreciate your reply, you do not know my situation!

We had a similar issue not too long ago. We called Cunard directly, the person we spoke to transferred us to a Supervisor and our problem was rectified. Our TA was not able to do anything. That's why we decided to handle it ourselves. Good luck.

many thanks will try that on Monday.

For us, when we have booked saver fare and didn’t get the time we want, we went to the dining room between the times stated in daily programme, asked to change and every time we have asked, there has been no problems, so I do not think if you book the saver or Cunard fare when you are asking to change.

Although this could be more to do with the fact we have never needed a table for 2.

For us, when we have booked saver fare and didn’t get the time we want, we went to the dining room between the times stated in daily programme, asked to change and every time we have asked, there has been no problems, so I do not think if you book the saver or Cunard fare when you are asking to change.

Although this could be more to do with the fact we have never needed a table for 2.

For us here in Australia we only have the one fare on the Cunard website. I did phone the call centre this morning and although the problem has not been resolved, we are hopefully making progress. I still have a little while before the 180days are up and I cannot cancel without a penalty.

For us here in Australia we only have the one fare on the Cunard website. I did phone the call centre this morning and although the problem has not been resolved, we are hopefully making progress. I still have a little while before the 180days are up and I cannot cancel without a penalty.

I think you will be fine, there shouldn’t be any issue. Would you consider a late sitting or is this not an option?

I don't really understand why people book through travel agents, unless there is a hidden benefit I'm missing. Booking travel directly is typically less expensive and more reliable, albeit sometimesone has to do their own homework rather than paying a third party to do the most fundamental research for them.

Maybe somebody could enlighten me as to what value a travel agent actually offers in making straightforward bookings ...

I think you will find that the experience of many people reflects a potential for a Travel Agent to offer a far better deal than Cunard directly. Often there are discounts, extra OBC etc that one will never get with Cunard. One experience of mine was a very very significant reduction in price for a solo fare in Queens Grill on a sector of the World Cruise. When I desired to change cabin I spoke to Cunard directly which illustrates that Cunard to not "abandon" you even having booked through a TA. I suspect that Cunard need travel agents just as much as travel agents need Cunard.

In the u.k.if you book thro’ a travel agent, most times you will get a further discount from the agents commission🤑.n

Thank you for your message. Here in Australia we have the one fare. No early saver or full fare,so we have put our cash in the right place. I have paid for a balcony and not the cheapest I might add. I have not considered Brittannia Club and will not. I will phone Cunard and see what they can do, otherwise cancel, there are plenty more (cruise lines) fish in the ocean.

Whilst I appreciate your reply, you do not know my situation!

One thing I can not understand with Cunard why they have different booking rules in U.K. Australia and U.S.A. In USA they can cancel a booking and get a full refund why not in other country’s?😡

One thing I can not understand with Cunard why they have different booking rules in U.K. Australia and U.S.A. In USA they can cancel a booking and get a full refund why not in other country’s?😡

I agree the US seem to have the best booking arrangements. In the US, you can cancel at anytime and you tend to get more OBC. In AUST we are unable to book with a US or UK Agent with some cruise lines.

I agree the US seem to have the best booking arrangements. In the US, you can cancel at anytime and you tend to get more OBC. In AUST we are unable to book with a US or UK Agent with some cruise lines.

The US (including Canada) bookings do have the advantage of being able to cancel well in advance without penalty, but certainly not "at anytime." The rules in effect for my past three bookings were: cancellation four months in advance loses the deposit; at three months in advance there is a sliding scale of penalties that start. We have never received any OBC from Cunard except for having booked on board or having purchased a future cruise deposit.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Typo

I am pleased that you got what you wanted, but it doesn’t change the facts. This is what happened to us. We booked a last minute cruise on a saver fare and were waitlisted for dining. We had a cabin on deck 5. Boarding is done by deck number, the lower your deck, the later you board. Our boarding time was 3.30pm and we were in our cabin before 4pm. We had been allocated second sitting and wanted to move to first so headed straight to the dining room. By the time we got there, the maitre d had been dealing with table requests for almost a hour, so of course first sitting was full. So we asked to be waitlisted and were told that the waitlist is run according to date you booked and the fare paid. Needless to say we didn’t get on to first sitting.

Just because you have been lucky doesn’t mean that the system doesn’t exist, many factors come in to play.

I won't go into detail, but if I was not dealing with an experienced cruise-only travel agent there were two Cunard voyages I simply could not have made. If booking directly with a cruise line, the person with whom you are dealing works for the company. Your travel agent is working for you. When the cruise line says: "it can't be done" an agent with vast experience and contacts can work wonders. If you shop around for an agency and the most important factor is getting a slightly reduced fare or some OBC this may not matter. But that is not what I value in a travel agent.

In the 44 years since our first Atlantic crossing we have had only had two travel agents. In addition, it is re-assuring to have a knowledgeable agent to rely on in case of an emergency, especially when abroad. That has never happened, but it does provide peace of mind.