Applying for Chinese Visa from Canada

1982CruzStart

Any help someone can give me on their experiences applying for a Chinese Visa preferably with the Vancouver Consulate but anywhere in Canada is very much appreciated. We are leaving March 11, Vancouver is the nearest city with a consulate but we don't travel there often at this time of year, are travelling to the USA a couple of times before we leave March 11 so can't be without our passports for more than a couple of weeks. HELP.

Any help someone can give me on their experiences applying for a Chinese Visa preferably with the Vancouver Consulate but anywhere in Canada is very much appreciated. We are leaving March 11, Vancouver is the nearest city with a consulate but we don't travel there often at this time of year, are travelling to the USA a couple of times before we leave March 11 so can't be without our passports for more than a couple of weeks. HELP.

You should be able to get it back in 6 business days. I'm not sure if they will do it by mail /courier or not. Best to call them.

http://www.chinavisavancouver.com/?gclid=CO-3y_TdnbQCFSTZQgodXUsAGQ

We are nowhere near a consulate and so used a Visa service: (visacenter.ca). Their sticker is still on our passports.

The website was easy to use and the process was simple. The passports with the visa arrived quickly but I do not remember how long it took.

I'd say VanQ is probably the easiest place to get a Chinese visa :D. Last time my family in BC applied for theirs it took less than a week but I'd call the consulate to check. Be aware that they can be very pedantic about forms and photos being correctly submitted and will sometimes ask you to re submit for the flimsiest of reasons which can cause delays.

Right now in the USA it is taking longer.

I got mine last year and it took less than a week but I have friends and it is taking longer for them.

So, even out of Canada it might take longer then that.

And they are asking for more information this year then we had to provide last year.

Keith

You should be able to get it back in 6 business days. I'm not sure if they will do it by mail /courier or not. Best to call them.

http://www.chinavisavancouver.com/?gclid=CO-3y_TdnbQCFSTZQgodXUsAGQ

I live in Ottawa & recently got a China visa. 15 Dec 2012

I went on line to the Chinese embassy in Ottawa. ( I assume it would be the same for Vancouver). Filled out their online form & printed it. Got a appointment time to submit the application. This is not at the embassy but at the service office. Took my passport & documentation they request, making sure I had paper work from the airline & cruise line WITH MY NAME ON the paperwork. Detailed itinerary from the cruise line including all stops before & after China. I went to the service center downtown & submitted the documents. The guy went through them with me. 4 days later I picked up the passport & visa & paid for it at that time. The cost for the visa + the service fee + GST. around $140.00. THEY had determined that I needed a multiple entry since I was leaving China for another country & then back to China. I could have posted the documents but prefer to do it in person. Quite painless in the end. One thing that took a while was to list all countries & cities with dates that I had visited in the past year. 5 pages which I annotated with the article #. My advise is to just answer every question as fully as you can.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I appreciate all the info you have provided. I did contact the embassy by email and I think our solution is for me to make an appointment and drop off all the paperwork and passports after i get back from the USA on Jan 27 and then arrange for someone to pick the passports up when ready. I have a couple of friends in Vancouver that will probably do that for me or there is the possibility my partner will be in Vancouver within a week or so after that so he might be able to get them.

I will also check out visacenter.ca.

I guess what i worry most about is the detail they require and getting there with something missing and no opportunity to correct it before i have to return home.

Thanks again everyone and in particular thanks Steve for the detail regarding what is needed.

I appreciate all the info you have provided. I did contact the embassy by email and I think our solution is for me to make an appointment and drop off all the paperwork and passports after i get back from the USA on Jan 27 and then arrange for someone to pick the passports up when ready. I have a couple of friends in Vancouver that will probably do that for me or there is the possibility my partner will be in Vancouver within a week or so after that so he might be able to get them.

I will also check out visacenter.ca.

I guess what i worry most about is the detail they require and getting there with something missing and no opportunity to correct it before i have to return home.

Thanks again everyone and in particular thanks Steve for the detail regarding what is needed.

Just one other thing - They will give you a receipt for you passport. On it, it says "DO NOT LOSE THIS". It needs to be presented when you pick up your passport.

Happy travels.

Steve

Just a reminder that in Vancouver it is not the Consulate but a separate Visa Office at the NE corner of Oak and Broadway (second floor, above the BCAA office). Very pleasant staff, no appointment needed. Get a number from the kiosk, deli-style. They will tell you on the spot if any corrections are needed to your application.

I have done this for myself and my husband 10 times over the last several years as he goes on business and pleasure. I only use the VisaCentre that someone else mentioned as they are quick and efficient yes they do charge if it is to be couriered to you but you get it and done RIGHT. My brother in the States was told he needed a certain size of picture and I new they had changed the size.

Their web site is good and easy to understand plus they have a call center.

I have done this for myself and my husband 10 times over the last several years as he goes on business and pleasure. I only use the VisaCentre that someone else mentioned as they are quick and efficient yes they do charge if it is to be couriered to you but you get it and done RIGHT. My brother in the States was told he needed a certain size of picture and I new they had changed the size.

Their web site is good and easy to understand plus they have a call center.

Thank you

Archived