Juneau Whale Watching Tours

mkcoombe

I would like to book a whale watching tour while in Juneau and while I would like to book an independent tour such as Harv & Marv, I am nervous about the time constraints as the tour ends at 8:30 pm and the ship (Golden Princess) departs at 9pm. In this case, I would be inclined to use the Princess excursion which ends at the same time but I would not have to worry about making it back on time. Does anyone know if the Princess excursion is as good as Harv & Marv or who their tour operator is? Due to other planned activities that day I can't simply book a tour earlier in the day. I appreciate everyone's opinion on the matter to help me choose.

That’s cutting it too close for me. Don’t you need to be on board 30 minutes prior to departure? Usually the tour operator will tell you if you will be able to make it.

The cruise lines normally contract through Allen Marine. They are a well run company with the big difference being the size of the vessels. Allen Marine can carry dozens of passengers.

This is too tight, IF your ship- leaves at 9p then you have to back on board at 8:30p

No princess uses Allen Maine which are 100++ passenger board, unless specifically mentioned smaller numbers, then it would be Dolphin- which does a good job.

Have you looked to see what is offered time wise with other vendors?

Being you are so limited with your time- finding a tour timed to end at 8p the priority. I'd simply go with that vendor. IF there is a horrid company operating- which I have not heard of, that would be a reason to avoid, but seems all vendors get at least good reviews.

This is too tight, IF your ship- leaves at 9p then you have to back on board at 8:30p

No princess uses Allen Maine which are 100++ passenger board, unless specifically mentioned smaller numbers, then it would be Dolphin- which does a good job.

Have you looked to see what is offered time wise with other vendors?

Being you are so limited with your time- finding a tour timed to end at 8p the priority. I'd simply go with that vendor. IF there is a horrid company operating- which I have not heard of, that would be a reason to avoid, but seems all vendors get at least good reviews.

That's what I was thinking...i was curious because the Princess excursion ended at 8:30 as well. I liked the idea of Harv and Marv since there are only up to 6 people on each tour boat. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

That’s cutting it too close for me. Don’t you need to be on board 30 minutes prior to departure? Usually the tour operator will tell you if you will be able to make it.

The cruise lines normally contract through Allen Marine. They are a well run company with the big difference being the size of the vessels. Allen Marine can carry dozens of passengers.

Thank you, I am nervous about the timing as well. Was looking forward to the small vessel with 6 ppl. Though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Princess also uses Gastineau Guiding (JNU-670, JNU-700, JNU-705), and IMHO they're way better than all of the rest. Their boats are more stable than Harv&Marv, have better windows (they swing up and out of the way, so they're 100% open) than all the rest, and much better window/open space to passenger ratio than the 40-pax operator(s) or Allen Marine.

Princess also uses Gastineau Guiding (JNU-670, JNU-700, JNU-705), and IMHO they're way better than all of the rest. Their boats are more stable than Harv&Marv, have better windows (they swing up and out of the way, so they're 100% open) than all the rest, and much better window/open space to passenger ratio than the 40-pax operator(s) or Allen Marine.

Thank you for the suggestion! I have looked into Gastineau and their available tours from my cruise and the times just don't work out for me with my earlier excursion. Thanks again for trying and it looked like a good alternative.

We were on Princess last July they used Gastineau for their smaller whale watch tours. Our guide was very knowledgeable and lots of fun. The boat was comfortable with large swing up windows, great view for everyone. Would definitely use them if sailing with Princess again.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you looked into jayleensalaska.com? I booked a trip with her last May and she is amazing! There were only three of us and she customized the tour around our availability. Call or check out her website and ratings! You won’t be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also went with Jayleen last summer and she scheduled the tour around the ship's schedule and not a previously set schedule. I would e-mail and ask for her input. She carries 6 people and includes children and teenagers.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

Have you looked into jayleensalaska.com? I booked a trip with her last May and she is amazing! There were only three of us and she customized the tour around our availability. Call or check out her website and ratings! You won’t be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jayleen is the daughter of Harv and Marv👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app