$20 Corkage; still carrying on

Underwatr

For those who do the math of carrying on and paying dining room corkage vs. paying shipboard prices for wine, note that the corkage fee has been raised to $20 rather than the $15 we've become accustomed to. I checked the contract and although it states a $15 corkage, it also adds that it is subject to change.

I compared a $38 merlot from the ship's cellar to a $22 Napa merlot purchased at Albertsons in Long Beach before boarding, and I believe that at that price point it's still better to carry on and pay the increased corkage fee. I openly carried on 6 bottles in the $20-40 price range using a canvas wine carrier, with no attempt to conceal what I was doing. No one batted an eyelash.

Others poured themselves a glass of wine in their stateroom and carried it to the dining room without any issues, although the sommolier/wine waiter was appreciative of my willingness to go along and pay the corkage.

Others poured themselves a glass of wine in their stateroom and carried it to the dining room.

Seriously? How chavvy.

Can't say I'm worried about corkage as I've never paid a cent in corkage for any of the wines I have brought on board for the restaurant.

WD

We've had "brought on" wine twice on Cunard. Once, someone at our table had wine from his uncle's vinyard. Since it was a one-shot deal, they waived the corkage. This may also have been due to the fact that he worked for Trafalgar house, and back then they owned Cunard.

The other time was on a Med cruise when we brought back a bottle of wine from a vinyard we'd been to on a tour. Because it was just one bottle one time, they waived the fee.

But if you bring in your own wine on several nights, I can understand the fee. They're protecting their profits, after all.

We've had "brought on" wine twice on Cunard. Once, someone at our table had wine from his uncle's vinyard. Since it was a one-shot deal, they waived the corkage. This may also have been due to the fact that he worked for Trafalgar house, and back then they owned Cunard.

The other time was on a Med cruise when we brought back a bottle of wine from a vinyard we'd been to on a tour. Because it was just one bottle one time, they waived the fee.

But if you bring in your own wine on several nights, I can understand the fee. They're protecting their profits, after all.

Quite. We only brought wine that they did not have. Given in the past we'd bought it, before it was dropped, and that we always drank nice wine bought from the list, I think it was a sensible decision on their part.

WD

For those who do the math of carrying on and paying dining room corkage vs. paying shipboard prices for wine, note that the corkage fee has been raised to $20 rather than the $15 we've become accustomed to. I checked the contract and although it states a $15 corkage, it also adds that it is subject to change.

I compared a $38 merlot from the ship's cellar to a $22 Napa merlot purchased at Albertsons in Long Beach before boarding, and I believe that at that price point it's still better to carry on and pay the increased corkage fee. I openly carried on 6 bottles in the $20-40 price range using a canvas wine carrier, with no attempt to conceal what I was doing. No one batted an eyelash.

Others poured themselves a glass of wine in their stateroom and carried it to the dining room without any issues, although the sommolier/wine waiter was appreciative of my willingness to go along and pay the corkage.

Underwater, thanks for that update on corkage fee. Since the corkage fee has been raised, I expect wine prices on board will also increase.

Regarding bring a glass of wine into the dining room: I did that once, carrying a glass of wine from Golden Lion that a I hadn't finished prior to dinner - and if looks could kill, I'd be dead:) Anyway, I wouldn't do that again, and I don't think I'd pay a $20 corkage fee either.

BTW, question: is the 15% auto auto added to the $20 corkage fee?

Thanks again. -S.

Edited to add: "Still carrying on" ---just got it!:D

BTW, question: is the 15% auto auto added to the $20 corkage fee?

Yes.

Also, tipping the sommelier early should ensure that the fee goes away. The cellars onboard the QE World Voyage this year were sparse until about Auckland, so bringing wine onboard became quite a common practice in the Grills. I had not seen it so much in the past. Anyway, after the gratuity the charge stopped arriving at dinner's end. If only we had thought of that sooner!

Yes.

Also, tipping the sommelier early should ensure that the fee goes away. The cellars onboard the QE World Voyage this year were sparse until about Auckland, so bringing wine onboard became quite a common practice in the Grills. I had not seen it so much in the past. Anyway, after the gratuity the charge stopped arriving at dinner's end. If only we had thought of that sooner!

Hi Kiltboys. I guess it a cultural difference. Were I live, we leave a gratuity after good service has been provided - it's our way of showing appreciation for a job well done. But I understand and appreciate your advice.

BTW, my experiences in Britannia and Britannia Club mirrored your Grills experience: several times at a certain point in the voyage, some wines are unavailable. For that reason, it is worth considering bringing wine aboard for consumption in the dining room, even if it involves a corkage fee. Ah, that might explain the increase in corkage fee!

Cheers,

Salacia

I was on QM2 last year and a lady at our table thought that she would treat us by bringing her unopened "free" bottle of Pol Acker to dinner one evening. The sommelier duly provided 6 or 8 flumes and served this well chilled delight. He then presented her with a $15 corkage bill to sign as the rules on the consumption had recently changed and it was gifted to passengers for consumption within their cabin. We raised such a stink that the Maitre D' sensibly agreed to waive the charge on this occasion. Unbelievable really.

...by bringing her unopened "free" bottle of Pol Acker to dinner one evening. The sommelier duly provided 6 or 8 flumes and served this well chilled delight. He then presented her with a $15 corkage bill
I did see a sommelier twisting an aluminum cap on a bottle of wine at a different table on this cruise.

My sommelier seemed to make a distinction between wine acquired onboard vs. that carried on. I was asked a few times whether the bottle I brought to the table was "wine from the ship."

I had a similar experience on the Queen Mary this past October. My travel agent had sent two bottles of wine to celebrate a birthday. We took one to the dining room to enjoy with dinner and we were charged a $15 fee - explained that it was a gift from our agent and was told that the fee still applied. How's that for double dipping. That is something I would expect on a Carnival cruise - not Cunard. I did make my AE agent aware of this practice - he seemed surprised!

I had a similar experience on the Queen Mary this past October. My travel agent had sent two bottles of wine to celebrate a birthday. We took one to the dining room to enjoy with dinner and we were charged a $15 fee - explained that it was a gift from our agent and was told that the fee still applied. How's that for double dipping. That is something I would expect on a Carnival cruise - not Cunard. I did make my AE agent aware of this practice - he seemed surprised!

On Princess in the past, we received a bottle of wine from our TA in the form of a voucher. We take it into the restaurant and use it or upgrade to another bottle of wine.

This past cruise on the QV... a bottle of wine was sitting at our table the second night of our cruise, with a note from our TA. I thought this was a nice way of doing it

Personally, I don't see how they can charge you a corkage fee on a bottle of wine that was purchased on the ship, either by you or by your TA. I would have asked to speak to the head waiter!

On Princess in the past, we received a bottle of wine from our TA in the form of a voucher. We take it into the restaurant and use it or upgrade to another bottle of wine.

This past cruise on the QV... a bottle of wine was sitting at our table the second night of our cruise, with a note from our TA. I thought this was a nice way of doing it

Personally, I don't see how they can charge you a corkage fee on a bottle of wine that was purchased on the ship, either by you or by your TA. I would have asked to speak to the head waiter!

I agree with you, this has never been the practice on any other line we have been on, including Princess, Hal, Celebrity and Crystal to name a few. We will be on the OV for the first time soon, if this happens we will definitely speak to the head waiter or Matre'd if necessary.

Hereby lies the problem, the wine waiter is not clairvoyant, how was he to know where the wine originated from and whether it was a gift or purchased:D I have been given bottles of wine as gifts and have accepted if the wine is taken on board ship, there will be a corkage fee, I really can't see a problem with it, even if the wine is a gift, whether given by a T/A or a friend.

The wine in question was purchased from Cunard by the travel agent - this new wrinkle is spelled out in the information book that exists in each stateroom. Gifts of wine purchased from Cunard are for in-room consumption - a corkage fee will be charged if that bottle is taken to the dining room. I believe this is new.

At Dinner, I order from the wine list. There is a great selection. If Idon't finish it,it is stored(labeled) till the next day..no cork fee for that.

I also take the wine tastings and I have paid for an extensive wine tasting class

It was very informative

When I received a Bon Voyage gift of 2 bottles of wine in my stateroom,I didn't have a cork opener.. I asked the room steward , but he claimed he couldn't get one. I went to the gift shop and they had some for sale.

I buy a screw model, very nice in stainless steel with the QM2/cunard insignia on it It was about $10..

We were recently on the QV and I bought glasses of wine at first in the MDR until we found out someone had brought bottles on board. We checked with the crew and were told we could bring wine onboard for the cabin. I took a glass of wine to the MDR every evening and the lady crew member with the hand liquid actually asked if she could hold my drink for me while I rubbed the liquid into my hands. She did this every evening and never once mentioned about it not being allowed. If she had I would have stopped straight away. Many other people did the same thing and I never saw anyone looking disapprovingly.

Di

I almost always took a glass of wine nto the dining room at dinner. I bought the wine in the Chart Room.

Why take a glass of Pinot into the dining room? I found that if I ordered wine by the glass at the table, it took so long to be delivered, I had eaten my entree before I received the wine. I believe wine by the glass has to come from the Chart Room Bar so by taking it in with me I simply avioded the wait.

I almost always took a glass of wine nto the dining room at dinner. I bought the wine in the Chart Room.

Why take a glass of Pinot into the dining room? I found that if I ordered wine by the glass at the table, it took so long to be delivered, I had eaten my entree before I received the wine. I believe wine by the glass has to come from the Chart Room Bar so by taking it in with me I simply avioded the wait.

Rather than pay the somewhat excessive per glass charge have you considered buying a bottle in the Britannia and having the sommelier look after it for you until you have finished it.

Archived