Solo traveler

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:41 AM.
Northampton
23 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
This will be my first time going solo , and my first time on a Cunard ship. Just wanted to know if there are many solo travelers or is this a very much couples line. Wanted to do this trip for the formal nights and the destination. This was my dream holiday , but I have times when I think have I done the right thing. So if anyone has done a solo trip on Cunard , or is going on the QV May 5th it would be nice to get some feed back.
Sue
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
At Sea
5,286 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by smeeville
This will be my first time going solo , and my first time on a Cunard ship. Just wanted to know if there are many solo travelers or is this a very much couples line. Wanted to do this trip for the formal nights and the destination. This was my dream holiday , but I have times when I think have I done the right thing. So if anyone has done a solo trip on Cunard , or is going on the QV May 5th it would be nice to get some feed back.
Sue
Hi smeeville/Sue, very quickly,

I think that Cunard is very suitable for singles, ask to be placed at a larger (6 or 8 person) table. I know others will wish to add to this, but my advice would be to stop being concerned, you have definitely "done the right thing"

All best wishes, Happy Sailings!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
Chicago - United States
66 Posts
Joined May 2014
I completed a solo QM2 crossing in September and had similar concerns pre-trip. Much wasted energy for nothing! My table was a mix of solos and couples and we clicked well. I met people at bars and lectures and strolling the promenade deck. And I found the right balance of "me" alone time, too.

No need to be concerned- you'll have a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Milton Keynes, UK
627 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Don't worry. Plenty of solo travellers on board. Each sea day there is a hosted coffee morning where you can meet other solos. Only a rough guess, but from my experience with Cunard, I'd say that about 10% of the passengers are solos. I cruise as a solo and haven't found any line apart from Celebrity to be unfriendly towards a solo traveller.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon : email: cruiser1955 at hotmail dot co dot uk
Future cruises
Ventura - Iberia - 9th Dec 17
Ventura - N803 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 18
Azura - A815 - Baltic - 9th June 18
Arcadia - J814 - Italy, France & Spain - 3rd Oct 18

Ventura - N903 - Caribbean & USA - 5th Feb 19
Queen Elizabeth - Q915A - Japan & Alaska - 5th May 2019
Arcadia - J916 - Adriatic - 10th October 2019

Sailed on:
Swan Hellenic - Minerva II x7 (now P&O Adonia), Minerva
P&O - Arcadia x8, Artemis x3, Azura x2, Oceana, Oriana, Ventura x4
Cunard - Queen Victoria x5, Queen Mary 2 x3, Queen Elizabeth x2 inc World 2013
Celebrity - Solstice x2 - New Zealand and Australia circumnavigation
Voyages of Discovery - Discovery - south Pacific
Holland America - Zanndam x2
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - south America & Falklands
Danube - Johann Strauss
Nile - RA2, MISR Serenade, MISR Rhapsody, Prince Abbas
Santa Cruz (Galapagos)
Victoria Cruises (Yangtze)
Virginia
21,845 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
When I did the World Voyage in 2014, 18% of the people doing the full WV were solo! I was at a table for 10 and we were all solos. I only went to one of the morning get togethers (just not my thing) but I often passed by them and there were always a good number of people present.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
New York City
5,507 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Hello,
I did my first solo Cunard cruise on QV when she was brand new for her first Panama Canal transit in 2008. I joined the roll call on here and then met several new friends on the cruise that I still keep in touch with. It was also the first leg of the world cruise that year. They assigned me to a small table of 3 other solos and as Pepper said a larger table would have been more to my liking. Enjoyed it though and had a great time on that cruise. Plus it began with fireworks in NY Harbor ( the first 3 Queens in NY celebration) WOW! I have done about 7 more solo cruises on Cunard since then. Have 2 more scheduled for 2018 although my friend will be in the cabin next door. We managed to get Single ocean view cabins on QM2 for a B2B.

Denise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2017 Windstar Breeze-14nt EB Transatlantic
Sept 2017 Crown Princess-7nt Canada New England
November 2017 Azamara Quest-16nt Westbound Transatlantic
January 2018 Carnival Triumph 5nt Western Caribbean
January/ Feb 2018 Anthem of the Seas-12nt Southern Caribbean
February 2018 Rhapsody of the Seas- 7nt Western Caribbean
Oct / Nov 2018 Cunard QM2 Transatlantic B2B
April 2019- Explorer OTS- Transpacific

Previously Enjoyed: Cunard QE2 x2, QM2 x7, QV x1, QE x1--HAL Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Veendam--NCL Sky, Jewel--Princess Grand, Coral, Crown--RCI-RadianceX2, Explorer X3, Brilliance, Quantum, Liberty, Anthem, Rhapsody--Carnival Miracle, Elation Celebrity Eclipse--Windstar Breeze
Northampton
23 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Thank you all for your replies , they have put my mind at rest . So it's time to enjoy getting things sorted .��
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Washington, DC
1,670 Posts
Joined May 2006
To add a little more reassurance about traveling solo on Cunard, I have been on about 15 cruises on about 10 different cruise lines, including 2 on the Queen Mary 2 and Cunard was the best in terms of setting up the dining arrangements with other solo passengers and having plenty of activities to keep a solo passenger entertained/engaged. I just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise and although I loved the ship (Harmony of the Seas), it was much less accommodating for solo passengers so I am planning on going back to Cunard next year.