QM2: Is soap still provided in the self-service laundry?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:37 PM.
Philadelphia, PA
144 Posts
Joined May 2004
So I know whether to pack a few laundry pods, is laundry detergent still provided in the self-service laundramats? It was 5 years ago, just want to confirm it still is. Thanks in advance.
Phil
9,593 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Yes it is. In pods, although I don't know what brand it was. Worked fine, though. And still free, of course.

I did love the free laundry -- such a civilized amenity.
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Don't plan on using your own, apparently you need to use the washing powder they provide. It's specially designed for use at sea (and maybe it's for high-efficiency washers as well).
Philadelphia, PA
144 Posts
Joined May 2004
Hadn't considered the ship's waste water issues. I'm happy not having to bring the soap. I wonder, however, what folks do that need scent free or hypoallergenic soap (is there even such a detergent?) .

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by frankp01
Hadn't considered the ship's waste water issues. I'm happy not having to bring the soap. I wonder, however, what folks do that need scent free or hypoallergenic soap (is there even such a detergent?) .

I'd be very careful before making any complaints about the laundry detergent provided on the ship. An industry insider claims that the US Coast Guard hates these self service passenger laundries because they see them as fire hazards. (Believe all, part, or none of that statement. Just quoting him.) Since the laundries cost cruise lines money and space, and don't generate revenue, they might welcome any excuse to take them out.
Hong Kong
232 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I was in the laundromat once when a lady (dressed in casual clothes, so I assume a passenger) came in and took a bunch of the packets, but she made sure to leave about half in the container. I assume she must have made a trip to all the laundry rooms on the ship (QM2 if I remember) and took half of packets in each room's container.
Oakland, CA USA
1,802 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
In mid-June, just a month ago, lots of packets of laundry detergent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Hampshire, England
1,575 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by frankp01
Oh, believe me. I'm not complaining! I find it amazing that the laundry is free. On our first trip I fully expected a load to be about $4 or $5.

Oh, there are many cruise lines that offer a free laundrette.

The one I have enjoyed the most was on Oceania's Riviera. Complimentary drinks chiller, soft seating and Television...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

UK
1,991 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by Solent Richard
Oh, there are many cruise lines that offer a free laundrette.

The one I have enjoyed the most was on Oceania's Riviera. Complimentary drinks chiller, soft seating and Television...

Very impressive. So do the passengers still come to fist fights over who took whose washing out the machine without permission - all whilst sipping on a glass of Prosecco of course
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
68 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sometimes a particular laundry room may be out of soap. So, that may explain why a passenger took some of the soap. It is quicker to resort to that type of self-help than to call and wait for additional soap to be delivered. I don't recall the soap having any particular scent. And yes, there are rude passengers who leave their laundry in the machines for hours.
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by davidhurt
And yes, there are rude passengers who leave their laundry in the machines for hours.
I don't intend to send my laundry out, and I expect to make several trips to the launderette during the voyage since I only plan to bring about 3 days' worth of casual clothing (including the clothes on my back when we board), but I'm really not looking forward to reliving the days when I lived in apartment buildings with laundry rooms.
Mississauga, Canada
1,383 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by BlueRiband
... Since the laundries cost cruise lines money and space, and don't generate revenue, they might welcome any excuse to take them out.
Much to the annoyance of some of my friends, Holland America has no laundrettes in their newer ships. They still have them on the older ships, but they are not free: the machines and soap have to be paid for. I suppose there wasn't enough profit to make it worthwhile.
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Carnevale
How scented is the provided soap? I have an allergy to many scents so always use a scent free product. Any advice??
None that I've detected but it has been a while. I tend to use the ship laundry service rather than need an anger management class while on vacation. But seriously the clothes do go through a rinse cycle. Anybody with a very sensitive allergy trigger point would probably be unable to tolerate whatever is used to launder the bed sheets, towels and robes.
Chicago
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by BlueRiband
I tend to use the ship laundry service rather than need an anger management class while on vacation.
I think it would be more accurate to state that I'm going to try using the launderette and see if I end up there.

Apart from the cost, I'm envisioning sending clothing to the ship's laundry and having them returned to me dingy and slightly damp.
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,008 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Not at all. The clothing comes back very clean, very dry and beautifully pressed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QV - December 2017

QM2 - June 2018
QM2 - January 2019