Cruising with my step son

subieroo

My wife and I are taking our kids on their first cruise later this month. My wife has an 8 year old from a previous marriage. She has custody of him with his father getting visitation twice a month. Due to him having a different last name and both legal guardians not being there do we need any special documentation to cruise with him?

I would bring his birth certificate that shows your wife is his biological mother. This probably happens all the time so I am sure it is easy enough to handle. Other than that, I wouldn't think it would be an issue since he is on the ship with one of his legal guardians.

From Carnival's FAQs:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

I took a coy of my divorce papers showing I had custody. Never needed to use them, but I did have them. she had her passport with her also. In my situation he never did visitation, and had little or no contact with the children, so I figured it was none of his business where we went on vacation. We even obtained the passport without his signature, after we explained the no contact he showed.

You are supposed to carry a signed, notarized document from the other parent to show that you have permission to take the child out of the country. Sample forms can be found with a Google search.

That being said, I've taken my kids without their dad on about 10 cruises and never once been asked for it, either on Carnival or NCL. Many had a stop in Mexico. The only time I was asked for it was coming through customs after the trip when I brought a kid that wasn't mine.

I still get one every time though, just in case. The thing is, with the rule out there, you never know when someone will decide to enforce it.

We have always taken a signed notarized letter from my ex allowing me to take our children out of the country, I have been asked for it once on another cruiseline the first time we took the kids on a cruise. You may or may not be asked for it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

My sister went back to her maiden name after her divorce, which is on her passport, her children have their dad's name. Every cruise we have been on we do get a notarized letter from their dad stating he allows the children to travel with her and lists the cruise, dates, ports where we will travel and that she can authorize any medical decisions necessary. I would have to say in the 12 cruises we went on together she was asked for it about 4 times. It was always a hassle but we were told once on another cruise line, if we didn't have it they wouldn't have let us on the ship. Better to be safe than sorry.

My parents always got asked for one when I traveled with them as a kid, so I think it's safest to have one. We ran into a lot of questions when my Dad (technically my stepdad, but he ended up adopting me when I turned 18) came as a chaperon on a high school trip to France. We ended up volunteering to bump on a full flight, and when we went to leave Paris they actually called my mom to verify that it was real! So it's rare, but it does happen, especially if your child has a different last name from the rest of the family.

Now I get asked for one when I go home to visit my family in the States, because youngest DD has a Canadian passport, and everyone else has U.S. passports. So if DH or I are traveling alone, we make sure to get one. Just nice to have.

Hope you have a great trip!

• 4 months later...
Although we got this form because we're taking our granddaughter on a cruise, it may serve your needs also. I'll send a jpeg of it. If you want the PDF with it, just put in your email.

16530146377_2249ee2801_z.jpg

I sent you a friend request. How do I print this letter? I tried and no go.

Thanks.