RTW on Insignia

Crocheter

Am I wrong to assume that the majority of the passengers will be doing the entire RTW? Within a week of bookings opening, most of the categories were waitlisted.

They may have held cabins back until the deadline for the RTW expired which is usually several months after announcing the cruise

Then they are not trying to juggle cabins for the entire 6 mths

I believe CBB mentioned last year there were 200 Worldies on the 2016 cruise

Am I wrong to assume that the majority of the passengers will be doing the entire RTW? Within a week of bookings opening, most of the categories were waitlisted.

They may have held cabins back until the deadline for the RTW expired which is usually several months after announcing the cruise

Then they are not trying to juggle cabins for the entire 6 mths

I believe CBB mentioned last year there were 200 Worldies on the 2016 cruise

I was on a segment of the 2017 world cruise and I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of ship's capacity, something over 300, were doing the full cruise.

Oceania's website is actually showing cabin availability in C1 for the full cruise (who knows, it could be only 1 cabin), and much more availability on the individual segments, some of which have extensive availability across many, if not most cabin categories.

Since Oceania doesn't expect to be able to fill the ship with with full world cruise passengers they have to hold open cabins for individual segment and multiple segment cruisers. It really is an educated guessing game on their part.

And by the way, our laundry was always returned to us promptly and within the expected processing time.

Since Oceania doesn't expect to be able to fill the ship with with full world cruise passengers they have to hold open cabins for individual segment and multiple segment cruisers. It really is an educated guessing game on their part.

I just checked on all 5 of the world cruises (158-180 days), plus 4 of the segments. They listed anywhere from no cabins available to 86 cabins available. Luckily I didn't find my cabin on the availability list! ;)

Maybe we should remember that just because one of those RTWs had a certain percentage of people doing the whole itinerary ... other RTWs maybe different. This is very expensive, after all. I remember Don Horner talking about the cost of their insurance, and as I recall - correct me if I'm wrong - after he died on that cruise, his family realized he should have gotten better coverage. (He had booked the first RTW cruise but after the fire on Insignia resulted in an abbreviated cruise they postponed to the next year.)

Not everyone on a leg of RTW is going to get all the perks the passengers doing the whole itinerary will have!

I'd love to do this for six months (ignoring the cost!) but DH says he doesn't want to be away for more than two weeks at a time ... not that I have obeyed this dictum when booking cruises. But I know I'd never convince him to do six months ... maybe two!

Mura

Crocheter - I did not get your email - make sure you use 'ca' and not 'com' at the end of my email address

Hi Wayne, I didn't put in the right address for you. Would you mind giving it to me again. Sorry for the inconvenience. Would love to read your blog. Terri

The 2018 voyage is going to a lot of ports where English is not common. You will not always easily find products you need. We did the similar route on the 2016 voyage. In some places the vast majority of retail outlets are small family run stores - no English spoken and no English on the products.

If you wear glasses, bring an extra pair as backup even if an older prescription. If you use an insulin pen its good to have a backup of one of those also - think about what you would be in trouble if it was lost/broke and have a backup. Also if you are into photography, make sure you download and backup regularly.

I did a daily live report from the 2016 voyage. If you want a copy let me know. Its long but has lots of info for each port and life on board waynesmithtor at yahoo dot ca[/quote

I would love to get a copy of your daily report.

I was planning on bringing my iphone and ipad. Do folks find bringing a computer useful?

I was planning on bringing my iphone and ipad. Do folks find bringing a computer useful?

I always take my netbook even on short cruises

I can check my email or what ever I need to do while away

All my info is on MY computer

I also always bring my laptop with me. I don't bother with the phone (except for possibly necessary contact with a guide).

I use the laptop to check on email but I don't get manic about answering every post. I write my trip diary on the laptop and upload photos regularly. That's the real reason I have my laptop with me.

The laptops they give you in the higher level rooms are pretty much useless so I've never used them.