Panama Canal Cruises?

RMS Olympic

Since I have booked a cruise on the Pride in late 2006, I am looking into the Feb March April time frame of 2007 for a second try.

Are there any weak points that would suggest not booking a 14 day canal cruise and instead booking either another 7 day Caribbean cruise or an across the pond Transatlantic cruise.

I like the idea of a Canal cruise......but are there any down sides to it?

Thank you very much for any response you can provide.

Respectfully,

Tom

Since I have booked a cruise on the Pride in late 2006, I am looking into the Feb March April time frame of 2007 for a second try.

Are there any weak points that would suggest not booking a 14 day canal cruise and instead booking either another 7 day Caribbean cruise or an across the pond Transatlantic cruise.

I like the idea of a Canal cruise......but are there any down sides to it?

Thank you very much for any response you can provide.

Respectfully,

Tom

I did the Panama Canal on Seabourn a couple years ago. It was alot of fun! Several exotic stops where you can canopy tree jump, tubing in caves with bats and everything etc etc.. We are booked in Feb 2006 on the same cruise. If I had my choice though, it would always be a transatlantic, but thats my personal preference. Two totally different experiences! A tough call! (Carribean would be my last choice, as a 7 day cruise is way too short!)

Host Dan

My Mom took me on my first Seabourn cruise (on the Legend) last February through the Panama Canal. It was an absolutely fantastic cruise with some interesting ports. When I was a teenager our family did a cruise through the Panama Canal which was fabulous and I thought going through the Panama Canal again might not be so interesting but it was! I've never done the Transatlantic but would like to. I agree with Host Dan "a 7 day cruise is way too short!"

Lisa :)

Capt Tom--if you take the canal trip. be sure to read the book "Path Between the Seas" its a fantastic history of the construction of the canal--its makes the passage much more interesting. The book was written by the same guy who wrote the best seller "1776"--I'm a rotten speller so I won't even attempt to spell his name. You can't go wrong on the canal trip--we have done it on the old Sea Goddess, and will do it again on Sea Bourn.

I did a transcanal a number of years ago on the Regal Princess and loved going through the locks...but I am sure on a much smaller ship it is more interesting. Tubing and bats.....fabulous.

So I guess I now have to decide...canal or transatlantic.....

Dan...is a spring or fall transatlantic better...and why?

Gee, I am already getting hooked when I haven't sailed on Seabourn except for the Sun which I disliked....you SeaB's (Seabourn people) have sewn your seeds.

Capt. Tom. I am also getting "hooked on Seabourn" and havent even sighted a ship yet! We are doing the 55 days, Cairns to Rome in March 2006, and I have been ~looking~ at the "Circumnavigation of South America" for 2007...think its 72 days. I dont even know if we get sea sick yet! :)

La Paloma,

My husband has been reading "the Path Before The Seas" for the past week, and I get it next, as we are doing the Legend sailing in December.

Anyone else on the December 5th sailing besides Wripro and myself?

Denyse

My partner and I will be on the The Legend in December as she transits the Panama Canal. One of the ports is Fuerte Amador and I'd like to arrange for a helicopter ride over the canal. Has anyone done this and if so, any recommendations? Ideally I'd like to arrange this before the cruise.

THanks!

Ditto! :)

We would be interested in the helicopter ride as well. I know that Seabourn offers a shore excursion, but it might be more fun to arrange something with fewer people. Also, as you have probably experienced, often shore excursions on SB get cancelled "due to lack of interest".... :(

Denyse

The book - "Path Between the Seas" was authored by David Mc Cullough - a great read & a must before transitting the Panama Canal. I read it before I went through the canal & it was a great reference.

I love a transatlantic but the canal is a must do for any world traveller!

The book - "Path Between the Seas" was authored by David Mc Cullough - a great read & a must before transitting the Panama Canal. I read it before I went through the canal & it was a great reference.

Thanks for the spelling help--if you liked "Path Between the Seas" you might also enjoy McCullough's other two books on the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Johnstown flood.

Thanks for the spelling help--if you liked "Path Between the Seas" you might also enjoy McCullough's other two books on the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Johnstown flood. I agree the canal trip is a must.

La Paloma,

My husband has been reading "the Path Before The Seas" for the past week, and I get it next, as we are doing the Legend sailing in December.

Anyone else on the December 5th sailing besides Wripro and myself?

Denyse

My wife and I are also planning to read "The Path Between the Seas" in preparation for the 12/4/05 Legend sailing. It sounds like a great trip.

Hi, everyone ...

We'll be joining you on the Legend on December 4th. Right now I've been soooo busy getting all the private excursions lined up for our Med cruise in October ... haven't really gotten into the Canal trip. Looking forward to reading the book and doing more research as soon as I can find a few extra hours in the day. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived