Special diet requests

I am new to Royal Caribbean cruise lines and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with requesting a special diet. I am diabetic and follow a Low carb high fat diet ( slight variation of keto)

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and notify them of your dietary requirements.

Also check out Royal's dedicated forum for other experiences with special diets:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I am diabetic and follow a Low carb high fat diet ( slight variation of keto)

Are you newly diagnosed? Have you been for nutritional counselling following your diagnosis? If so, then you can absolutely do this on your own if you know your carb count and such. This helped me tremendously and I have cruised many times since my own diagnosis. I've even managed to lose a few pounds due to low carb and high exercise. ;):)

The other recommendation by many in the RCI section is, upon boarding, go the MDR and talk to them. They will work with you to get you good meals within your requirements.

Even if Special Needs says everything is taken care of, go talk to the staff on board.

There are reports of the Special Needs info not getting to the people on board. But the people on board WILL work with you

I'm a type-1 diabetic (insulin pump) and have never had trouble ordering from the regular menu, on any line. You just order more of the proteins (i.e. 4 eggs, etc.) and either have them leave off the potatoes or just not eat them. Personally, I don't have the willpower to NOT eat tasty potatoes, bread, etc., but you aren't me. Smile!

I also have a shellfish allergy, and when I mark that on the special-needs form, I get loads of attention. Someone will stop by and ask if I need help ordering, and make more of a fuss than I need. I don't specify any more, and just ask the server if in doubt.