No more buffet for P&O Australia!

Kiwi_cruiser

From Cruise Passenger: http://cruisepassenger.com.au/2014/09/pos-australian-revolution-features-ships-itineraries-buffet/

P&O, Australia’s first locally-based cruise line, has announced dramatic changes, including new livery, new on board amenities and destinations – and the end of the the buffet bar.

The moves to woo the “contemporary Australian” will dramatically alter the perception of the P&O brand in a bold bid to take the lead as the cruise industry heads for one million passengers, possibly as early as next year.

Two new ships and refits of the Dawn and the Jewel will see a revolution in domestic cruising, targeting the 30-55 year old mainly female traveller. Rebranding as “Like No Place on Earth”, the existing white-hulled vessels will sport a navy stripe and the new slogan across the stern.

In November, next year, all five P&O ships will sail into Sydney Harbour in a spectacular display expected to attract tens of thousands of onlookers.

New domestic and international destinations, including Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and PNG, will be served with 60 per cent more capacity as two new ships, the Pacific Eden and Pacific Aria join the fleet next year.

According to Tammy Marshall, senior vice president, the move represents the biggest investment in P&O’s history. Domestic destinations will grow, short cruises of two or more days and events like the Melbourne Cup, the tennis open and food festivals will feature.

The end of the buffet tray and queue aboard P&O ships is almost certain to spark debate, as plates piled high with food has been a cruise ship tradition. But according to P&O research, today’s generation is more interested in quality food and healthy eating.

So instead of the buffet bar, The Pantry will bring a more contemporary face to dining, offering individual spaces for different foods. There will be new food venues, too, including The Dragon Lady, serving Asian fusion, an Italian restaurant Angelo’s, named after photographer Angelo Frontoni, and offering traditional comfort food Open Kitchen features a culinary school as well as dining, while a dedicated Chef’s Table dining area will be available.

Salt Grill by Luke Mangan – already featured on Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl and Pacific Dawn – will be served with a twist on Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden, with the inclusion of Salt Grill Bar, offering Luke Mangan cocktails. A new Cellar Door will provide a boutique experience, with an opportunity to taste the wines on-board and pre-order for dinner.

“The Australian cruise tourist is young, savvy, middle class and worldly. They don’t want a buffet or a chicken schnitzel. They want more,” said Ms Marshall.

Ken Flavell, P&O’s hotel product development director, revealed the new looks in a series of slides. “No more buffets – no need to carry your tray around with you. You’ll go to your own separate venue within that space. They’ll be seafood, dim sim, a deli – you’ll be able to go to each of those venues and then leave.”

There will also be wine classes, whisky tasting, rum tasting, and coffee appreciation classes. New shows with live music and DJs.......Read more....

I really wonder about the statement "people don't want schnitzel or buffet any more ".Wouldn't have anything to do with cutting costs would it.I'd like to see how they'd go in the USA with that change.I must have missed the day when people refused to eat from the buffet.I know it's not the healthiest way to get food but the lines are always crowded. :rolleyes:

I really wonder about the statement "people don't want schnitzel or buffet any more ".Wouldn't have anything to do with cutting costs would it.I'd like to see how they'd go in the USA with that change.I must have missed the day when people refused to eat from the buffet.I know it's not the healthiest way to get food but the lines are always crowded. :rolleyes:

I don't get the impression this is about cutting costs.

But often when anyone makes a change, they claim it's due to feedback, and what people want - even though it's usually only some, if any. A lot of people don't analyse or have experience, so take it at face value.

I don't know about the buffet being the unhealthy choice - we always have lunch there because we can choose salads and grilled meat/fish. There is not much on offer in the way of salads in the restaurant. I remember one lunchtime a chap going off his lolly because the chicken pho was too hot, then when he asked for a 'normal' salad, they said there was no salad as such. He then stormed out while the rest of us at the table sat stunned. :D

I'm hoping we'll hear a lot more about their idea of options to replace the buffet before we sail on the Jewel next year. I really wonder where they get their new demographic of 35-55 as their 'average' passenger. Are they trying to kick the over 60s out? We love the Waterfront for dinner, but always prefer the wide variety of the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

Edited by SnoopyJS

I'm hoping we'll hear a lot more about their idea of options to replace the buffet before we sail on the Jewel next year. I really wonder where they get their new demographic of 35-55 as their 'average' passenger. Are they trying to kick the over 60s out? We love the Waterfront for dinner, but always prefer the wide variety of the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

I find it strange that P&O want to deviate from the rest of the cruising world by removing the buffet , but it's probably their way of getting people to use the specialty restaurants resulting in more revenue for them.

In all honestly, I would say yes. Do you know how many other lines out there both owned by Carnival Corp and the competitors cater to the over 60's, it's actually rare for a cruise line not to cater towards that market. The over 60's have Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, and while family orientated even Royal Caribbean gear their shows, music and entertainment towards older passengers.

As someone not in the over 60 bracket I find it refreshing that a cruise line has realised that the demographics of the cruise market are shifting and that there is potential for growth amongst younger passengers that don't have interest in acapella groups, quilling, knitting, motown, broadway, 60's +70's shows, bingo, art auctions etc. I know that's stereotypical for the 60+ person and not all enjoy these things but all the cruise lines still push them for than other activities/shows :rolleyes:

It's a bold move by P&O but if executed well I think it will be very successful and it could actually bring me back to cruise with them as a line of choice which they are currently not as I believe they have a bit of an identity issue at the moment and other cruise lines do the same thing better for the same fare.

I don't think P&O (Carnival Australia) are getting rid of the over 60's they're just trying to keep them with the products they offer with them in mind e.g Princess and Holland America. Like they say it's better to please a smaller market a lot than trying to please a bigger market a little.

I find it strange that P&O want to deviate from the rest of the cruising world by removing the buffet , but it's probably their way of getting people to use the specialty restaurants resulting in more revenue for them.

Even though that was the headline, I don't think they're actually getting rid of the buffet. It sounds more like changing it slightly to give a new image.

For example, the article says this: "So instead of the buffet bar, The Pantry will bring a more contemporary face to dining, offering individual spaces for different foods. "

"Individual spaces for different foods" still sounds like a buffet to me, just broken up into themed stations like they do on Celebrity. And you won't have a tray any more, you just carry your plate instead.

That said, all the lines want to get more passengers paying for speciality dining - but I don't get the impression they're going to give up on the included dining options.

Even though that was the headline, I don't think they're actually getting rid of the buffet. It sounds more like changing it slightly to give a new image.

For example, the article says this: "So instead of the buffet bar, The Pantry will bring a more contemporary face to dining, offering individual spaces for different foods. "

"Individual spaces for different foods" still sounds like a buffet to me, just broken up into themed stations like they do on Celebrity. And you won't have a tray any more, you just carry your plate instead.

That said, all the lines want to get more passengers paying for speciality dining - but I don't get the impression they're going to give up on the included dining options.

We were on the Celebrity Infinity earlier this year and what you described is exactly that....and it worked a treat!. We loved it. They had a pasta station where they cooked the noodles in front of you. And there were no queues.

In all honestly, I would say yes. Do you know how many other lines out there both owned by Carnival Corp and the competitors cater to the over 60's, it's actually rare for a cruise line not to cater towards that market. The over 60's have Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, and while family orientated even Royal Caribbean gear their shows, music and entertainment towards older passengers.

As someone not in the over 60 bracket I find it refreshing that a cruise line has realised that the demographics of the cruise market are shifting and that there is potential for growth amongst younger passengers that don't have interest in acapella groups, quilling, knitting, motown, broadway, 60's +70's shows, bingo, art auctions etc. I know that's stereotypical for the 60+ person and not all enjoy these things but all the cruise lines still push them for than other activities/shows :rolleyes:

It's a bold move by P&O but if executed well I think it will be very successful and it could actually bring me back to cruise with them as a line of choice which they are currently not as I believe they have a bit of an identity issue at the moment and other cruise lines do the same thing better for the same fare.

I don't think P&O (Carnival Australia) are getting rid of the over 60's they're just trying to keep them with the products they offer with them in mind e.g Princess and Holland America. Like they say it's better to please a smaller market a lot than trying to please a bigger market a little.

I have to admit that I was VERY surprised about how much I enjoyed our recent Carnival Spirit cruise. I had scrubbed it from our "to do" list because of the number of children purported to be going on it when it first arrived. But this year, I participated in the Sydney City to Surf run and it just so happened that Spirit was sailing on the day we came out of our hotel. We thought we would "check her out" - but didn't expect much at all. I have to say that I have become increasingly jaded with cruising.

BUT - it was refreshing to be part of a much younger crowd. I even participated in the "Biggest boot camp at sea"

A lot of fun but not much of a workout :)

I will definitely be looking for cruiseships with a bit of life in them from now on

Barry ( aged 67)

Edited by bazzaw

Buffets are disappearing across a number of cruise lines. I think it is to try to limit the spread of norovirus. Individualised servings means no repeated handling of serving spoons/tongs etc by every passenger.

Buffets are disappearing across a number of cruise lines. I think it is to try to limit the spread of norovirus. Individualised servings means no repeated handling of serving spoons/tongs etc by every passenger.

Thats a very good point. I am sure the spread of Noro has something to do with the move. It can only be better for all of us.:)

I have to admit that I was VERY surprised about how much I enjoyed our recent Carnival Spirit cruise. I had scrubbed it from our "to do" list because of the number of children purported to be going on it when it first arrived. But this year, I participated in the Sydney City to Surf run and it just so happened that Spirit was sailing on the day we came out of our hotel. We thought we would "check her out" - but didn't expect much at all. I have to say that I have become increasingly jaded with cruising.

BUT - it was refreshing to be part of a much younger crowd. I even participated in the "Biggest boot camp at sea"

A lot of fun but not much of a workout :)

I will definitely be looking for cruiseships with a bit of life in them from now on

Barry ( aged 67)

That's great that you had such a good time! I was also very pleasantly surprised with Spirit. I was very fond of the experience :D

I think cruise lines are realising that old and young alike, some of us love to have fun and are very active.

Perhaps these moves by P&O are also because at the moment they have Carnival and P&O which overall are very similar. Seems silly to have two brands offering the same thing, may as well offer point of differences on each to make them all special in their own ways :cool:

No, I think it basically because this is the style of "buffet" that Ryndam & Statendam currently have, and the changes to Pacific Dawn, Jewel and Pearl will bring them more in line with the two newer ships when they become Pacific Aria & Pacific Eden

Edited by Skyrules

• 2 weeks later...

The Buffet was starting to remind one of the pub.Fine for a quick meal but reminded me too much of My combined Year 5 and 6 School Camp in the late eighties in many ways and the food was not all that much better.If they can turn it into like a mini food court all the better.

Just off Pacific Pearl and it looks like they are trying to bring the concept in as they have "stations" now that serve different themed foods e.g. Mexican, Indian, Asian, fish n chips, deli. Have to say it was the worst experience I have ever had with a food eatery, it was the same lousy, cold, uninspired food every day.

So unfortunately it seems like it's just a ploy by the marketing team to turn what is essentially cost cutting into appearing as though they are being modern and making improvements.

The food tasted as bad as it looked, not to mention it was almost always freezing cold and it was the exact same thing every day and night for the entire 16 night cruise.

The buffet on the Pearl was a 1000 times better 3 years ago and even then it wasn't the best cruise ship casual dining venue

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know where they got the "research" from , but we just did cruise J440 on the Jewel

early October and we were very happy with the food in Plantation buffet and the "Grill", not the Salt Grill by Luke Mangan, you have to pay an extra $50 per head for dinner. Did not try the Water front as it was always full and did not want to wait till 8:30 pm to "walk in", we are booked on the Pearl for next week 7th Nov, so will be interested in the food.

Edited by 6666oz

We are soon sailing on our 11th cruise over 5 cruise lines and have never had reason to complain about the quantity or quality of food offered in any buffet on board. Perhaps we have been extremely lucky, we utilise all dining options and are constantly amazed at the quality of the food offered taking into consideration the number of meals produced on a huge scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok now I'm getting a bit concerned about our trip for July 20th on the Pearl. Originally my angst was whether The Edge would finally be included but now having 2 travellers that are fastidious eaters and I'd worked so hard with them in regards to food available, I'm worried my work will now be undone. Has anyone got pictures of The Pearl and how is currently set up? Also is it in dry dock for a refurbish anytime soon?

Mumof2boys

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got home from being on the Pearl P445 14 nights, and I will never travel on the Pearl again, while the food was OK in the buffet it was very repetitive, they dont have trays, only plates and bowls, it is setup mostly for help yourself , there are staffed sections for stir fry and pasta cooked on the spot, and some themes such as Indian and Mexican and the staffed carvery section.

All the food was hot and staff very friendly, We ate a lot of stir fry and pasta and sweets, but what really cheesed me off was at night they cut off about a 1/4 of the buffet serving area and seats to setup the stupid Luna "restaurant" section which hardly anybody ate in because you have to pay extra to eat there, when there are 2000 passengers trying to get their evening meal and trying to find a seat loosing all that area is just ridiculous, out on the pool deck you have to pay at the "Grill" for breakfast lunch and dinner, the "Salt Grill" was a flop, never saw anybody in there, we ate in the "Water front" 1 night, but preferred the buffet for serve yourself and no waiting.

Edited by 6666oz

• 2 months later...