transfer help

juliesails

Best as in cheapest? Most convenient? Fastest? How many passengers? Are you flying in the day of the cruise and needing to get to Civitavechhia immediately or coming from a hotel in central Rome? Will you have a lot of luggage? Are you comfortable taking an Italian train? Please provide us with more information.

The easiest way whether it is from the airport or from Rome is to book a private car. We use Romecabs.com. We also post on the roll call for our cruises looking for people to share a ride to cut the per person cost.

Once you post more about your requirements there are many others here who can offer other suggestions.

sorry, I should have given more info! There are two of us (my husband and myself) and we are staying at the Althea Inn roof Terrace for a few days before the cruise. then we are staying at the Hotel Traino in citavecchia the night before the cruise. so we have to get from Rome to citavecchia. I would like to get there somewhat economically but also like the convenience option. are the trains easy to use? we will have two carry ons plus one larger suitcase. thanks again!

There is a train service from Rome which is perfectly do-able. Tickets are about 5 Euros and the journey takes an hour. I've not done it myself - we always book a taxi - but I've cruised with others who have. You need to be able to manhandle all your cases though. There are a lot of steps!

sorry, I should have given more info! There are two of us (my husband and myself) and we are staying at the Althea Inn roof Terrace for a few days before the cruise. then we are staying at the Hotel Traino in citavecchia the night before the cruise. so we have to get from Rome to citavecchia. I would like to get there somewhat economically but also like the convenience option. are the trains easy to use? we will have two carry ons plus one larger suitcase. thanks again!

Well, we used Romecabs.com. No issues. Prices etc arer on the website.

Others use the train and have found that cheaper than a cab ----but you'll need to walk to/from the station.

Going from the port up to Venice via Rome, we used a cab to Rome (an hour) and then had a 4 hour train ride to Venice. No problems on the train. If you can, go first class on the trains ---- not too much of an increase over the standard fare and certainly worth it for the comfortable seats.

Trains are certainly an option but in May we used civitavecchiaportDOTorg for both airport/city transfers and city/ship/city transfers. No complaints; they were terrific. Uber is also quite active in Rome.

While staying out @ Civitavecchia, if you have a free morning and don't have mobility challenges, Tarquinia is only about 20 minutes away, and the Etruscan necropolis provides an amazing peak into a civilization that pre-dates Rome. The museum in town,housed in a 15th Century villa, is pretty awesome in its own right and has a couple of the most remarkable tombs fully reconstructed in it.

Have a great trip!

I've done the train from Civitavecchia to Rome a couple times. It is very easy and train announcements are made in Italian and English.

The only caveat I have is that you will need to be able carry luggage up and down a flight of stairs or two at the Civitavecchia Rail Station.