Star or Ruby for Alaskan cruise?

FSU Girl

I haven’t sailed on Princess since 2007 so it’s been awhile. I’m trying to plan a cruise for my 30th birthday next year and was thinking a cruise to Alaska. Of the two ships Star and Ruby, which would be better? The reviews are about the same online they both have 4/5 stars. I’d like to sail on Regal, but the itinerary won’t work with my schedule since it ends or starts in Alaska instead of round trip from Seattle.

Is one better inside, nicer? They both seem to be refurbished a few years ago, are they showing their age? I’m also considering Bliss from Norwegian which is a brand new ship. But I have high status on Princess so was thinking of sailing with them.

I would do Star as there are 500 less people on the ship.

There is one extra deck on the Ruby which adds the extra passengers. The Star also has a covered pool. This may help with crowds if it is cold or rainy.

Ruby goes to Glacier Bay, has longer hours in port in Skagway and Juneau though only a half day in Ketchikan.

Star replaces Glacier Bay with Tracy Arm, where Glacier viewing is much more dependent on clear weather. And shorter port time in Skagway and Juneau, though two hours more in Ketchikan.

While the covered pool seems an advantage to Star (where do the rangers set up their station on Ruby without one?) personally I would bundle up and choose the ship with better outdoor viewing, even with the additional number of passengers.

If you are one to visit the specialty restaurants, note however that Ruby no longer has Sabatini's. But it does have a much better equipped buffet area and International Cafe.

Ruby goes to Glacier Bay, has longer hours in port in Skagway and Juneau though only a half day in Ketchikan.

Star replaces Glacier Bay with Tracy Arm, where Glacier viewing is much more dependent on clear weather. And shorter port time in Skagway and Juneau, though two hours more in Ketchikan.

I thought they were doing the same itinerary. I would choose the one doing Glacier Bay.

Thanks Fishywood for looking up itineraries.

Both do glacier bay, but the star also does Hubbard going southbound or another glacier going northbound. An extra glacier day is good in case you miss one or there is bad weather.

In 2019 Star Princess will be sailing the round-trip Seattle cruises, not the Vancouver-Whittier route. Note that is the itinerary and date the OP specifically asked about.

I would pick the ship that goes to Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm. Also I would pick the ship that departs San Francisco. That gives you an extra 3 days on your cruise. (I don't know if either the Ruby or the Star departs from SF.) Then if all things being equal I would pick the Star. I like the Grand class ships of which the Star is a member. But either one would be fine.