First Time Sailing with NCL.

ClemsonTiger96

In Mid-May myself and about 20 other family and friends will be on the Norwegian Escape for the wedding of our son in Bermuda. I’ve been on 3 different RCL ships, and have always loved their cruise line, but at the same time I’m extremely excited to try Norwegian.

I do have a few questions that I’m hoping to get answered by people that have sailed on both lines. From what I’m reading, it sounds like the Garden Cafe is the equivalent of the Windjammer. Is this correct? A place that serves all 3 meals buffet style?

My favorite place to go on RC ships for a nice quiet drink at night has always been the Viking Crown Lounge. It has great views and a nice quiet atmosphere where you can hold a conversation or listen to the band. Is there a bar on the Escape that would be similar?

We’ve always done traditional early sitting in the main dining rooms on RC. Will it be similar on NCL where we will be able to go to the same dining room each night at the same time without making reservations, or will we need to set up dinner reservations for each night once we get onboard?

For those that have sailed on the Escape, how does this ship compare to say Freedom of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas or Navigator of the Seas?

Garden Café is the Buffet and yes Breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be had there.

You can dine anytime/freestyle as you like in the dinning rooms, of course during normal meal times. No reservations needed, unless you have a large party you might need to try to set a time up for a reservation.

Never been on the Escape but many other NCL cruises and there all pretty much the same.

In Mid-May myself and about 20 other family and friends will be on the Norwegian Escape for the wedding of our son in Bermuda. I’ve been on 3 different RCL ships, and have always loved their cruise line, but at the same time I’m extremely excited to try Norwegian.

Welcome to NCL. You WILL Enjoy your freestyle experience.

I do have a few questions that I’m hoping to get answered by people that have sailed on both lines. From what I’m reading, it sounds like the Garden Cafe is the equivalent of the Windjammer. Is this correct? A place that serves all 3 meals buffet style?

Yes. That is correct. The Garden Café is your new Windjammer.

My favorite place to go on RC ships for a nice quiet drink at night has always been the Viking Crown Lounge. It has great views and a nice quiet atmosphere where you can hold a conversation or listen to the band. Is there a bar on the Escape that would be similar?

Not so much. 5'Oclock somewhere bar has indoor and outdoor seating. As does the Cellars winebar. We like to sit outside in the evenings (weather permitting). And go to the skylines bar in the evening. Lots of bars with live music at night.

We’ve always done traditional early sitting in the main dining rooms on RC. Will it be similar on NCL where we will be able to go to the same dining room each night at the same time without making reservations, or will we need to set up dinner reservations for each night once we get onboard?

NCL embraces Freestyle Dining. Similar to MyTime Dining, you show up when you want. You may make reservations in the MDR if you want, but you don't have to. Dining reservations open 90 days prior to cruise (100 days if you are in a Havens Suite). If you are trying to book a large group, best to do it EXACTLY 90 days prior to your cruise. You will be seated first-come-first-serve. The Manhattan Room is the biggest MDR with live music in the early evening. Taste and Savor are twin smaller MDR. All serve the same menu.

For those that have sailed on the Escape, how does this ship compare to say Freedom of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas or Navigator of the Seas?

The Escape is equivalent to a Quantum class ship (Quantum, Anthem). It is a megaship. So, like the quantum and oasis ships, you need to book your Broadway shows (For the Record and After Midnight). The Supper Club offers an additional-fee dinner show with a wonderful 5-course tasting menu. And if you are doing specialty dining, you need to book that exactly 90 days in advance also.

Enjoy your cruise. We are on the Escape for the 4th time in April. Ask questions.

The Escape's sister ship, the Breakaway, did the Bermuda itinerary last year. The following link contains examples dailies, examples of MDR menus, and examples of menus from the specialty restaurants (the Escape has a few different restaurants and different shows). https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

Thank you both very much for the information. I really think we’ll enjoy the Escape.

Is the Spice H2O an indoor bar that would be a good late evening place to sit and unwind, or is it more of an outdoor, daytime bar?

Also, what are some opinions on the Vibe Beach Club?

Vibe is great, however if you're planning to try for a Vibe pass, prepare to be at the port no later than 9:30... With a bit of luck, priority passengers won't snag all of the passes before you board.

Thank you both very much for the information. I really think we’ll enjoy the Escape.

Is the Spice H2O an indoor bar that would be a good late evening place to sit and unwind, or is it more of an outdoor, daytime bar?

Also, what are some opinions on the Vibe Beach Club?