Port or starboard

DANtheFIREMAN

I am thinking they don't need the MC to go to water level if they are docked. They can use either side for docking. MC can stay on deck 5 or above and be used as a bar or whatever. Just makes sense.

I agree the Edge will be able to dock Port or Starboard side-on. But with the Magic Carpet on the Starboard Side, I’d bet big time that the preference will always be Starboardside dockings.

But there will be times,due to berth assignment/weather/wind/nearby ship docking position/etc will requrie a Portside docking.

Den

• 2 weeks later...
I am thinking they don't need the MC to go to water level if they are docked. They can use either side for docking. MC can stay on deck 5 or above and be used as a bar or whatever. Just makes sense.

I think you are right but time will tell. I was thinking that the Magic Carpet would be mostly used for getting on/off in tender ports. Why would it be used for docked ports?

At this very moment while Edge is still under construction at STX France, you can see that she is docked on the starboard side. So starboard docking is very possible. I believe Symphony OTS was also docked starboard side while under construction and all Oasis class ships mostly dock on the starboard side while in any port. Not that that implies anything directly with Edge, but just an observation.

The other reason why I think they will use the starboard side is, it gives them more exposure while in port especially if another ship is docked across from her. What better way to show off some of your best offerings to the competition than to park right across from them and have those passengers across think about the possibility of booking Edge.

We always book starboard because in the past all the smoking sections are on the port side.

Believe also that it is not always up to the ship which way they dock in port, can't see them not having the ability to dock on either side. I also seem to remember as a previous poster mentioned that the MC will be used for some debarkation.

I believe I read (or heard) that the MC will be used as a entry for embarkation and a bar to relax at while in Port. Seems to me that it is the Starboard side we will be using as this will be increased revenue for Celebrity..

I think you are right but time will tell. I was thinking that the Magic Carpet would be mostly used for getting on/off in tender ports. Why would it be used for docked ports?

To secure a large ship to a dock requires a flat, sturdy surface to take the strain of currents and wind as the ship presses against the dock. As the tide rises or lowers, and as the current changes direction, the ship must be securely anchored to the dock to avoid damage to the hull or injury to passengers moving on and off the ship. No way will the MC be strong enough to take that strain. It would be crushed in short time if it was between the ship and the dock. Besides, docks are all different heights, depending on their construction and the tides. That is why the gangplanks are sometimes on different decks, and will be at different angles when disembarking and embarking later in the day.

The MC will be used for tendering. It will be positioned at a set height above the water level, just like the rest of the ship will be. As the tide comes in and out, the MC, and the ship, will rise and fall with it, resulting in a consistent height above the water level, making it easier to get in and out of the tender boats, which have the entry points designed to be the same height above the water as the MC. And the doorway from the ship to the MC will be at the same level as the MC when in tendering position.

Edited by sloopsailor

Tell me: would you like to go into a venue and have a drink or something else with a birdseye view of happenings on the dock?

In some ports, yes. At Copenhagen' Langelinie pier, for instance, with it's view of the city. Same with San Francisco's cruise terminal. Or any other port with a view of the scenery from dock side. Not all ports are industrial in nature.

Copenhagen%20dock.JPG

San%20Francsco%20Dock.JPG

Edited by sloopsailor

To secure a large ship to a dock requires a flat, sturdy surface to take the strain of currents and wind as the ship presses against the dock. As the tide rises or lowers, and as the current changes direction, the ship must be securely anchored to the dock to avoid damage to the hull or injury to passengers moving on and off the ship. No way will the MC be strong enough to take that strain. It would be crushed in short time if it was between the ship and the dock. Besides, docks are all different heights, depending on their construction and the tides. That is why the gangplanks are sometimes on different decks, and will be at different angles when disembarking and embarking later in the day.

The MC will be used for tendering. It will be positioned at a set height above the water level, just like the rest of the ship will be. As the tide comes in and out, the MC, and the ship, will rise and fall with it, resulting in a consistent height above the water level, making it easier to get in and out of the tender boats, which have the entry points designed to be the same height above the water as the MC. And the doorway from the ship to the MC will be at the same level as the MC when in tendering position.

Yes totally agree with you.