Sunshine vs Liberty

comeon530

Looking for opinions. Which would you choose?

1. Our favorite ports, Aruba and Curacao plus Grand Turk, 8 days on the Liberty. I like this one because it has 4 sea days.

2. The ship we really want, the Sunshine, with a second choice itinerary, Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten. 8 days with 3 sea days.

So, the itinerary or the ship?

I always go for the itinerary because I've never been on a ship I didn't like. Some ships I like more than others but no ship has yet to disappoint me. I've been on the Norwegian Epic; RCCL Voyagur and Explorer; Carnival Freedom, Valor and Breeze and liked all the ships in different ways. However, I fell in love with the Freedom itinerary in April (Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios). I always enjoyed Grand Cayman but I absolutely fell in love with Key West. I'm doing the Freedom September 1st and November 10th because of the itinerary and the six day cruise gives me a full weekend in Fort Lauderdale which I like aswell.

I would LOVE to do either of those itineraries you listed!

That's only my opinion though.

Edited by rok233

1. Our favorite ports, Aruba and Curacao plus Grand Turk, 8 days on the Liberty. I like this one because it has 4 sea days.

2. The ship we really want, the Sunshine, with a second choice itinerary, Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten. 8 days with 3 sea days.

I'm not sure when your sail dates are, but we are going on the Sunshine with the Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk itinerary, also 8 days, 4 sea days. our cruise is October 4th, 2014. Hope this helps!

Edited by crusing48/51

comeon530,

We've sailed both ships albeit SunShine was Destiny then. I'd choose Liberty.

Thanks everyone! I just hadn't read a lot about the Liberty or people loving it. We're looking at June 2014. The Sunshine has the same itinerary in May, but we can't travel then. I appreciate the feedback. :)

I'd say the Liberty, because it's the itinerary you want and because of the ship. The Liberty seems to get very positive reviews everywhere. While I was on the Breeze, the Liberty was in Miami & St Thomas the same days as us, and some people were saying that they wish they were on that ship instead. Liberty will have better entertainment than Sunshine, plus Sunshine will most likely be a more crowded ship. The Sunshine will have extra waterslides, a ropes course, and more extra-pay restaurants.

Put me down for Liberty.

It's unlikely I will ever sail on Sunshine.

I sailed her twice when she was Destiny. The first time was one of my best cruises. The second time was one of my least favorite.

Carnival has taken away some public spaces and put in more cabins. Some people have come back and said she's not crowded. Don't know if I believe that entirely.

The Serenity Area on Sunshine looks really nice. Except for the part where it's facing Lido and the big screen. Doesn't look like it would be very serene.

JMO

These are both great itineraries. Don't think you could go wrong with the one you will eventually choose. I have yet to sail Liberty. But read nothing but good review. Sunshine review is mixed.

For me personally I would choose the Sunshine. Only because I don't like the 4 sea days, and I would luv to sail on her to see the reincarnation. 3 sea days is enough for me.

I'm convinced to go with the Liberty. We both like the idea of 4 sea days. We're looking for a really vacation next year. 4 ports in a row can get tiring.

Edited by comeon530

• 8 months later...

I've posed the same question, but I think it is determined by dates you can travel, and what activities or non activity you're looking for.

I'm traveling with just my granddaughter and I'm booked on Sunshine. After reading so many negative reviews I was ready to change our plans when I decided to stay with The Sunshine for the water slides and rope course. I believe I will give up the service and beauty of The Liberty (sailed on her this past December with my hubby) for the stuff she will enjoy more. It's just six days so I think I'll be ok. I don't go to comedy shows so no issue for me :o

In all fairness we are booked in June on the Liberty to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. It will be our longest one. We always book for where we could go not for the ship. I've heard great things about the Liberty.